Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson 25 Thread

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I received this wonderful Stetson 25 Open Road from Adrian (@Miamibruno) a couple of days ago. He was kind enough to sit on it for me for a couple of months, knowing I couldn't grab it right away, but also knowing it was a "Bucket List" hat for me. I couldn't be happier. This is a great hat - the materials and workmanship are top notch. My only other OR is a 3X, and this felt is as dense or more so than the 3X, but softer, more pliable, and with a better hand.

I'm a little flummoxed on dating this thing, however, and would like to have a little confirmation from the gallery, please. I've been through this thread, and the "25" logo in this hat is what I believe puts it in the 1960s. Everything else, though, would tell me 1950s. The size tag, the stitched in liner, the felt quality, etc. I'm assuming 1960s, but the other accouterments must be indicative of the quality level of the hat?

Anyway, on to the pics!

View attachment 74268 View attachment 74269 View attachment 74270 View attachment 74271 View attachment 74272

Pardon the marks, that's just distilled water from steaming and ironing out the crown. I put it out on the back porch post to dry, but wanted to get some shots in the daylight before the sun went down.

View attachment 74273 View attachment 74274 View attachment 74276

At just shy of 3 1/4", this hat is easily my biggest brimmed hat. I believe it's the same as David's (@DJH) Twenty-Five.

View attachment 74275

Creased and at the office with me today.

View attachment 74277

I'm stoked. Thanks, Adrian!
that is beautiful

I've never seen a 25 quite like that

that is a whole lotta brim for an OR

great score my friend

This is a stellar 25 Jim! It is kind of a challenge for dating, if it is 60s, it must be very early. I also went through the thread. I think you are on the right track in your thinking.

I've seen where a company will phase in new "parts" and still be using up some older inventory while putting things together. Maybe you've got a real late 50's, like 1959-1/2, or a real early 1960's hat there, Jim. In any event, it's a winner!

Thanks guys.

Jim, that's a very nice S25.

I think you are right about the dating, late 50's, maybe the first few years of the 60's.

Currently I have three 25's, none of which have the Open Road labeling, although the oldest one is the classic OR specs.

You will enjoy this one!

Cheers!
David

I already am, David. Am I right that the brim width is on par with the one you wore earlier this week? Does that one have the newer 25 logo or the older one?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, my friend.

Jim I keep going back to look at this one... the dimensions are impressive

also I notice the Felt looks quite thin and soft ... is it

Every 25 that I have handled had a bit of stiffness to it ... this doesn't seem to have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I received this wonderful Stetson 25 Open Road from Adrian (@Miamibruno) a couple of days ago. He was kind enough to sit on it for me for a couple of months, knowing I couldn't grab it right away, but also knowing it was a "Bucket List" hat for me. I couldn't be happier. This is a great hat - the materials and workmanship are top notch. My only other OR is a 3X, and this felt is as dense or more so than the 3X, but softer, more pliable, and with a better hand.

I'm a little flummoxed on dating this thing, however, and would like to have a little confirmation from the gallery, please. I've been through this thread, and the "25" logo in this hat is what I believe puts it in the 1960s. Everything else, though, would tell me 1950s. The size tag, the stitched in liner, the felt quality, etc. I'm assuming 1960s, but the other accouterments must be indicative of the quality level of the hat?

Anyway, on to the pics!

View attachment 74268 View attachment 74269 View attachment 74270 View attachment 74271 View attachment 74272

Pardon the marks, that's just distilled water from steaming and ironing out the crown. I put it out on the back porch post to dry, but wanted to get some shots in the daylight before the sun went down.

At just shy of 3 1/4", this hat is easily my biggest brimmed hat. I believe it's the same as David's (@DJH) Twenty-Five.

View attachment 74275

View attachment 74277

Nice score!
That's a heck of a brim on that sucker...does that particular Open Road lead to Lisbon?
Hmmm...the pORtuguese edition...:D
BTW, the markings look the sama as my Twenty-Five stingy that I estimate at early-mid 60's but mine has the black keyhole transitional tag. I'm sure that helps not one little bit.

Jim I keep going back to look at this one... the dimensions are impressive

also I notice the Felt looks quite thin and soft ... is it

Every 25 that I have handled had a bit of stiffness to it ... this doesn't seem to have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not stiff at all. The felt is on par with a 3X (non OR) I have, but it's softer with a better hand. My 3X OR is much stiffer in the brim. This felt is a bit thick and dense, but very soft and pliable.

Nice score!
That's a heck of a brim on that sucker...does that particular Open Road lead to Lisbon?
Hmmm...the pORtuguese edition...:D
BTW, the markings look the sama as my Twenty-Five stingy that I estimate at early-mid 60's but mine has the black keyhole transitional tag. I'm sure that helps not one little bit.

I'm just going to have to go with the gallery that it's right around the turn of the decade, I guess.

I'm not letting Joao near this.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Not stiff at all. The felt is on par with a 3X (non OR) I have, but it's softer with a better hand. My 3X OR is much stivver in the brim. This felt is a bit thick and dense, but very soft and pliable.

I'm just going to have to go with the gallery that it's right around the turn of the decade, I guess.

I'm not letting Joao near this.
No worries. Brims too small.

rclark

Call Me a Cab

Anyway, on to the pics!

View attachment 74275

View attachment 74277

Great 25 Jim! I have a 7XCB OR that has a 3" brim and I thought that was unique. You found a keeper there! And Adrian is as good as gold!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Anyway, on to the pics!

View attachment 74275

View attachment 74277

Oh, nice Jim! 3 1/4" brim even!

A good Stetson 25 (and not all are) is a thing of beauty!

Cheers!
David!
David, what are the differences in quality found among the OR 25's? I'll post more on mine when I have time to work it up. Classic OR specs; black sweat with embossed edge rolled in; black rectangular pre metric size tag; no other tags under sweat. The rest you can see from these pics.

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
David, what are the differences in quality found among the OR 25's? I'll post more on mine when I have time to work it up. Classic OR specs; black sweat with embossed edge rolled in; black rectangular pre metric size tag; no other tags under sweat. The rest you can see from these pics.

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg
Just like all American fur felt hats the later models were not nearly as good quality ... and the dimensions changed quite a bit

Stetson 25 Wide Ribbon

Just received this Stetson 25 -- the only 25 I have ever seen with a wide ribbon. The felt on this lid is beautifully soft, and has that "molds like clay" quality. Open crown is 5 1/2" and the brim is just over 2 3/4". The oil silk liner protector is still intact. Overall, this lid is in beautiful condition.

The wide ribbon raises the question as to whether this particular ribbon was a replacement. I tend to think not, although there is no way to be sure. What I do know is that there are no signs that there was ever a thin ribbon on this hat -- the felt is pristine underneath the ribbon, and it doesn't appear that a ribbon has been added to cover any stains, etc. The liner appears to have its original sewing intact -- no signs that it was ever removed and replaced. Perhaps most importantly, the ribbon is expertly done (a la factory quality) and matches the color of the felt beautifully. The ribbon is 16 ligne (just under 1 1/2").

One way or the other, I am really struck by how this ribbon looks on this hat. I would date this one to circa 1950.

25WROC.jpg

25-WR-Liner.jpg

25-WR-Logo.jpg

25-WR-Sweat.jpg

25-WR-4.jpg

25-WR-3.jpg

25-WR-5.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
My, my......I know this was posted some time ago.....but what an absolute beauty.....and my size to boot.....gives me hope that someday I to could find one like this......;)
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana