Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson Nutria Quality Thread

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
True, there goes another hat that would have been used to work in the yard and to wear while you change the oil in your car and eventually end up a dirty ragged mess and totally thrown away. Now it has been given a new chance in life to live on for another few decades or more. But I understand your love of the wide brims and you have some great looking ones.
Or it might get someone who would take care of it the same way you will but remain wide brim.
By this rate only my and Alan's wide brim Nutrias will remain.
Thank you for understanding.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Or it might get someone who would take care of it the same way you will but remain wide brim.
By this rate only my and Alan's wide brim Nutrias will remain.
Thank you for understanding.

Joao, I say this with the utmost respect, but there are other styles of hats besides wide brimmed westerns. I appreciate wide brimmed westerns and love to wear them, but I also love to wear fedoras, and homburgs, and caps, etc. For many on this lounge, wearing a 4-5 inch brimmed western isn't their cup of tea. So to fedoralovers point, if he was able to take his hat which was beat up and not very desirable to him and turn it into a beautiful hat that he will wear for years, I see no problem with that. If a hat is very old and has historical reference then I usually side with keeping it original for historic value. Then again, I would not wear a hat that I wanted to preserve for historic value. If someone wants to take a 40's/50's Nutria and turn it into a gorgeous fedora, that's just fine with me. Trust me, Stetson made a TON of wide brimmed westerns in the 40's/50's. There is NO shortage.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Just picked up this olive green late '50s 'Nutria Quality'. 3 3/4" brim, 4 1/2" crown. It's almost exactly like an early 1900's black Stetson No. 1 Boss of the Plains I used to have. This one has a San Antonio store sweatband stamp. Only issue is the missing bit of ribbon.

It does make me look Amish, but it's a rare exact fit of 7 1/4 long oval, so it will be the new hiking hat this summer :)

IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

RJR

Just picked up this olive green late '50s 'Nutria Quality'. 3 3/4" brim, 4 1/2" crown. It's almost exactly like an early 1900's black Stetson No. 1 Boss of the Plains I used to have. This one has a San Antonio store sweatband stamp. Only issue is the missing bit of ribbon.

It does make me look Amish, but it's a rare exact fit of 7 1/4 long oval, so it will be the new hiking hat this summer :)

View attachment 46859 View attachment 46860 View attachment 46861
Nice find.

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars

View attachment 46859 View attachment 46860 View attachment 46861
So, you're the guy who got that. I wanted it bad.

- Andrew

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
So, you're the guy who got that. I wanted it bad.

- Andrew

You only needed to spend 2-3 more bucks - someone maxed out my snipe.

This is my 'settler' hat - every time I find myself settling, I put this hat on and discuss with my girlfriend. It's gotten me about $30 worth of laughs so far, so still a ways to go.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Saw this thread pop up thought I would put my Nutria here.It was alittle beat up when I got it.

Gorgeous 'after' hat, but I have to admit - the 'before' style is my favorite hat style. I had one, same color and all but from the 1920's. Just too small...so I settled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo