Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Omega Man (I Am Legend)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
My latest review is on The Omega Man (1971)

I've never been the biggest Charlton Heston fan, but I've enjoyed him in many movies. The Omega Man was not one of those movies.

Mostly, I am curious. There have been four movies made, adapted from Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend. Does anyone here think that Vincent Price's The Last Man on Earth is not the best rendition?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I've never seen the Price version, but I can tell you that Ron Grainer's amazing score would be the best music for an Omega Man/I Am Legend film! Grainer is the same man who composed the themes to Doctor Who and The Prisoner, arguably two of the greatest themes in TV history.

Edward

Bartender
I saw Omega Man years ago, and enjoyed it; just last week I picked up the Will Smith version. I am not much of a an of Smith, but I thought his performance in this was superb, and I did enjoy it - especially the ending, which was much better than I had expected. Never seen the other two (what is the fourth?), though I would be interested to.

59Lark

Practically Family
OMEGA MAN.

Have a very old vhs tape of the omega man and every so often i pop it into the player which is also old and play it. One of my favourite scenes is when he is coming back late to his home in the mustang convertible and he is ambushed the music and action is good. Well you know what i mean and sure the vincent price movie was better, only seen that partially during halloween thats the only time they show vinnies movies anymore. Have not seen the will smith movie yet, if i see it on sale cheap might consider it or on the tv. 59Lark:eek:

Chas

One Too Many
Very cool film, but this is my personal favorite of Chuck's.

....and my favorite Chuck scene of all time. Ben Hur notwithstanding.

"IT"S A MADHOUSE...."

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TQME8mx4DMo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TQME8mx4DMo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Seems rather difficult to compare them. They are each good in their own way. Will Smith is great in a modern movie. Heston is great in a cool seventies one, and Price is great, especially the naration, in a fifties style one. Don't know the fourth.

Hondo

One Too Many
Regarding Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth" it was low budget film, set compared to Charlton Heston's "The Omega Man" more costly sets than Prices, being a fan of Vincent Price I had to side with, the better film.
I still enjoyed "The Omega Man" I even saw it first run in theater.
Films have a better feel on big screen. I'll give Will Smith his due, it started out well but I wasn't keen with all the tech special effects, its just my opinion.
I'm sure there are a majority that approve it, just a matter of taste.
Had Vincent Price the funds to upgrade, his no doubt would be the best.

59Lark

Practically Family
agree with hondo on vincents.

The truth is that he did make a lot of black and white low budget films that today show what real talent can still do even with a low budget. YOU know that actually they seem better as a black and white , the horror sense seems scarier in that form. I actually dont want to see blood in colour, and guts spread all over as it was cottage cheese. When i see a older horror movie or western it seems as more entertainment and less like something that is going to make me want to gag like modern horror movies such as saw etc that i refuse to watch. 59LARK[huh] :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner