Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The one style appreciation that dare not speak its name...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
Whenever I see a Che Guevara or Fidel shirt I want to (censored). That murderous (censored) I don't see how anyone can put that little (censored) on their body.

Sometimes I feel the same way about waving the American flag. I love the people of my country, but can barely toperate what the government, CIA, military etc. does. Including in Cuba. So frankly, I don't hold such a grudge against either of them.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
Nazi Germany had very well designed and tailored uniforms, I must say, despite the symbolism they carry for everyone now. I'm a big fan of the leather overcoats they wore, made by Hugo Boss. You can see one on an officer in Der Untergang, I think, but it's the only one I recall in that movie strangely enough. (The movie's a really good watch, by the way.)

I do not like the man, but those armholes hug him beautifully.

Well, that is just to the point. Hitler was able to do what he did, in a large part by his aesthetical endevors, architecture, military uniforms, and film wer all used very carefully and successfully to create a willinness in the country to go along. The aesthetically fantastic uniforms were not a coincidence (as I am sure you are aware.)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
Yes, but others would say she deluded herself and her approval does not connote any kind of artistic merit. I mean, you could sy hitler would approve, but that would not be much of an endorsement. For the record, I am willing to give an artist the benefit of artistic freedom, and I also think that beauty is beauty, despite what it might represent.

On the other hand, if I hired a spokesman, I would expect him to have a little better judgement and keep his mouth shut on sensitive topics. He has the right, but I have the right to drop him if he is going to cost me money.

Deluded or not, her opinion about art is worth more than Hitler's. Whatever else he may have been, he was not an artist.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Bernard Newman said:
He tried, but his paintings weren't that good. At least not good enough for the Art's college in Vienna

There is a prety good movie about this with John Cussack. It shows how Hitler was trying to be an artist, and John Cussack is a gallery owner. Cussack turns down his artwork, but Hitler shows him this grand vision for Germany with Tuetonic images, autobahns, unifirms buildings etc and Cussack sees them as this great visionary art concept and encourages him, offering him a show. Mind you, he is not thinking Hitler plans to do it or kill jews, just sees it as a vision for germany.

ANd the crux of the story is how Hitler could have gone different route if not for chance.

Pretty fanciful I am sure, but a pretty good yarn.

Bernard Newman

New in Town
reetpleat said:
There is a prety good movie about this with John Cussack. It shows how Hitler was trying to be an artist, and John Cussack is a gallery owner. Cussack turns down his artwork, but Hitler shows him this grand vision for Germany with Tuetonic images, autobahns, unifirms buildings etc and Cussack sees them as this great visionary art concept and encourages him, offering him a show. Mind you, he is not thinking Hitler plans to do it or kill jews, just sees it as a vision for germany.

ANd the crux of the story is how Hitler could have gone different route if not for chance.

Pretty fanciful I am sure, but a pretty good yarn.
I don't know about that film, but there is also the european film "Hitler: The Rise of Evil", which deals with Hitler's lif from his birth until the mid-30's.
It's not in the same league as "Der Untergang", but I found it quite interresting.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
What movie is this?
"Max" Strange,...I just watched it last night. Max Rothman is a well to do veteran of world war one. An artist before losing his right arm in the war. He tries to encourage the destitute Hitler to truly paint what he feels, like the artists he represents in his gallery, with ironic results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner