Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I am so feeling your pain LinaSofia - they are just too lovely for words.

If it's any consolation i saw a stunning forties, emerald green silk dressing gown, with a lovely full skirt, in a junk shop today, perfect condition and it was only twenty quid!!! I didn't think to ask the lady to put it aside for me while i nipped to the cashpoint, as i was just too excited and not thinking straight... and when i came back...ten minutes later..gone!!! I actually had tears in my eyes!

Drappa

One Too Many
Lovely glasses, what a shame!
I love this dress, and it went really cheaply, but still too high for me
KGrHqFiME1N2w1YEBNYYBISTl0_3.jpg

And this pattern, also too high
KGrHqIOKi4E1cevEDJzBNYtvSg0_1.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Picture8-1.png

$40!
Look closely. There's an original walk-away dress in this lot. This was at $6 forever. And ONLY went to $40. I guess that spike in pattern prices is over.

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
If it's any consolation i saw a stunning forties, emerald green silk dressing gown, with a lovely full skirt, in a junk shop today, perfect condition and it was only twenty quid!!! I didn't think to ask the lady to put it aside for me while i nipped to the cashpoint, as i was just too excited and not thinking straight... and when i came back...ten minutes later..gone!!! I actually had tears in my eyes!

I'm gutted for you Miss Sofia - that robe sounds incredible......

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I'm watching a slow motion train wreck of a bidding war over a dress that is already up to the "they cannot have bid it up that much" amount. It goes in an hour.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Very pretty print, but pretty pricey for what probably is a housecoat.
But if it was in rayon....

That's what I was thinking, it's a cotton housedress. An adorable housedress. Maybe if it was rayon... Ah well, hopefully there is some cute pin-up girl who bought it and I'll see some photos posted here sometime. :)

maisie

Practically Family
That's what I was thinking, it's a cotton housedress. An adorable housedress. Maybe if it was rayon... Ah well, hopefully there is some cute pin-up girl who bought it and I'll see some photos posted here sometime. :)

I have a zip up dress that is rayon... I always thought it was a housedress so have only worn it once out (and because I'm tall its a strange length on me :S), is there something special about them, something I've missed lol???
That dress was nice but NOT $250 worth of nice!!! :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Some vintage prices just seem to rocket for some reason. I think a couple of people just REALLY wanted that piece. It seems a little high to me, but then I look at what BIN's are on Ebay, and what things are listed for on Etsy and sell in boutiques, and it might be average now [huh] vintage seems to have skyrocketed, especially in the last year or so.

There were zip front day dresses with Zippers- kind of a novelty/sporty thing. Those are pretty rare and I could see them catching quite a pretty penny. You see them for a short time in the very late 30s and early 40s. But most of the time a zipper up the front meant house dress or house coat. I would guess it would depend on fabric, styling, and length. Long ones are almost always meant for home wear and a lot more common.

Last edited:

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Some vintage prices just seem to rocket for some reason. I think a couple of people just REALLY wanted that piece. It seems a little high to me, but then I look at what BIN's are on Ebay, and what things are listed for on Etsy and sell in boutiques, and it might be average now [huh] vintage seems to have skyrocketed, especially in the last year or so.

I've noticed this too :( But it actually made me think the Etsy prices aren't so bad, haha. I didn't buy and then missed out on a couple of VERY nice dresses on Etsy recently because I started buying vintage back in (ahem) (a very long time ago); when we thought $25 for a rayon 1920's two tone day dress was astronomical. I think I'll just have to deal with it or sew more. If only I had time!

Thinking about putting in a custom vintage order with a quality seamstress.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
yeah prices are definitely getting crazy all over the place! It's making authentic vintage a luxury... I am almost always out of the counting with the vintage dresses I watch on ebay because they sky rocket! I think it's the Mad Men craze and just generally that vintage is becoming more mainstream. I'd like to go back to the time when I hardly ever paid more than £10-20 for a vintage dress on ebay... and that wasn't even that long ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR