Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ShortClara said:
Holy *&*&^& that is amazing. I've never seen an open shoulder dress i liked even remotely, but I would feel like secks on a stick wearing that!
I'll send you the envelope scans if you'd like. My tax retrun is going to good use this year. Of course I'll have to find a place to wear such a dress.

ShortClara

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I'll send you the envelope scans if you'd like. My tax retrun is going to good use this year. Of course I'll have to find a place to wear such a dress.

Yes please!! You are divine darling!

MissHannah

One Too Many
This dresser-top bakelite manicure stand went for £38.75, which was probably a snip but more than I could afford nonetheless. I also have no idea where I would have put it!

0d06_1.jpg

This cute french 50's brooch of the Eiffel Tower with it's own little early plastic box went for £22

608b_1.jpg

Aurora

One of the Regulars
That manicure stand... WOW - There's some lucky lady out there somewhere... I'm green with envy!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I know - I'd never seen anything like it, let alone in blue bakelite! I think it was about 18 inches high but I've deleted it now so I can't check. It was small anyway.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
deadpandiva said:
pat.jpg

$134 for this pattern. I saved a copy of the envelope front and back. I am hoping I can have someone make it for me for $250 or less.

I was watching that one, too. I really wanted it, but over $100 for a pattern? No way.

playbelle

New in Town
Laura Chase said:
I'm so disappointed about these dresses, they got so expensive, well for eBay standards, anyway. What's the secret about getting a good deal on eBay?

$195.38

$122.50
Both of those are very popular sellers, especially julypoppy's items tend to go very high almost always. Well, too high for me anyway. I guess the secret could be to be on the lookout for items by hobby sellers that do not put as much effort into presentation and promotion, meaning there's less competition.

olive bleu

One Too Many
i really don't have much luck either.i seem to always want the same things everyone else does and "everyone else" seems to have a lot more money that i do:rolleyes:

I have started to change the way i do searches.I avoid using terms like "vintage" or an era like" 1930's dresses" .Sometimes there are gems out there that no one notices or bids on because they are not listed as vintage or maybe the seller really has no idea what decade the item is from.it takes longer to weed through everything, though.I still haven't had any big wins but i have only been trying this lately and i am broke right now anywaylol

This is why i prefer to just buy stuff outright, i don't have alot of patience for auctions.

ginny

Familiar Face
Okay, here's my biggest ebay regret to date. A couple of years ago, right after I had just rediscovered cake mascara (and subsequently became obsessed with vintage vanity, etc.), there were several BIN auctions on ebay (from a British ebayer, I believe) for the Longcils Boncza cake mascaras, in every color they make, without compacts, for about $3 each! There were several cakes of each color available, too! These mascaras retail for about$25-$30! (with compact, I don't think they normally sell cakes separately). I was pretty much broke at the time, though, and watched in anguish as the cakes were bought up, and the auctions ended. I could kick myself now, for a once-and-never-again deal like that, I should have guilt-tripped my BF into buying at least one of each color for me!

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Well, it's lovely, but why the high price? Any special back treatment or materials?

I just deleted it from my watch list before you asked this question and unfortunately I can't remember what it was made out of. There was nothing particularly special from what I do remember though, it's just pretty I guess! I certainly wouldn't have paid that much for it anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany