Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ed10_1.JPG

Not clothing but I was heart broken to lose out on the most beautiful picture of Virginia ever.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
deadpandiva said:
ed10_1.JPG

Not clothing but I was heart broken to lose out on the most beautiful picture of Virginia ever.

Excuse my obvious ignorance, but who is this lady? She's so beautiful!

Josephine

One Too Many
There was a really nice dress I was going to bid on, I thought the auction ended at 10:15 but when I went there at 10:03 it had ended! I was WTH? and thought someone had BIN, but it really ended at 10:01:48!! Big Miss distracted me!! And I really liked that dress!! :rage:

Inky

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
Excuse my obvious ignorance, but who is this lady? She's so beautiful!

I hope DeadPanDiva won't mind me answering this one, but that is the lovely Virginia O'Brien. A talented actress and singer in the 1940's, but not really well-known. One of her many nicknames was "Miss Deadpan" and now we know why DeadpanDiva has that nick :)

Here's a good video of her from 1941's The Big Store. And my personal favorite, the Salome song from 1943's Du Barry was A Lady with Lucille Ball. I love what she's wearing there!!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I hope DeadPanDiva won't mind me answering this one, but that is the lovely Virginia O'Brien. A talented actress and singer in the 1940's, but not really well-known. One of her many nicknames was "Miss Deadpan" and now we know why DeadpanDiva has that nick :)

Here's a good video of her from 1941's The Big Store. And my personal favorite, the Salome song from 1943's Du Barry was A Lady with Lucille Ball. I love what she's wearing there!!
Salome is one of my favorites. I want to recreat that entire outfit for myself.

Inky

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
Salome is one of my favorites. I want to recreat that entire outfit for myself.

Oh you should! Its the reason I watch that movie every time it's on - and Lucille Ball's red outfit in the first scenes. And who says red-heads can't wear red! She's killer in that get up!

2386700970_f09cddc971.jpg

Anneloes

New in Town
I missed out on both a fifties light-blue coat and a forties brown WWII suit, yesterday and the day before. The coat because some #$@% with a nice software program (...) bid 50 cents more 1 second before the auction ended - I got the emails "you've been outbid" and "this auction has ended" at the exact same time, and the suit because it went for close to a 100 dollars and that was just too much for me. I'll post some pics tomorrow morning, I'm a bit too sleepy right now ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Inky dear, thank you for those links! Virginia O'Brien's Lullaby might be the best music video I've ever seen! Outrageously funny! I can already hear my heart throbbing for a new idol...

Inky said:

Inky

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
:eek:fftopic: Inky dear, thank you for those links! Virginia O'Brien's Lullaby might be the best music video I've ever seen! Outrageously funny! I can already hear my heart throbbing for a new idol...

:eek:fftopic: CherryLips, then my job is done here :) A new Virginia O'Brien fan!

I'm glad you enjoyed watching her performances, check her out on IMDB and watch the movies she's in when you can, she was a hoot!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
That's crazy!! I mean it's a lovely dress and all but it's not that rare or unusual is it?

It has some interesting details, but unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's a designer pattern. Some of the Vogue designer patterns go for $50+ but this is the first time I've seen any pattern go for this high.

texasgirl

One Too Many
This one I can't really figure out. I mean it's cute, really cute. But it has a major flaw on the back. It went for $127.50!

rubyredvt-1219020262-16598.jpg

rubyredvt-1219020300-16604.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
Smuterella said:

I need a gown for the cruise (I don't think the weight will come off for the sizes I have) and I was looking at that. I need something with straps on both sides though to hide the bra. :( How much did it go for?

sixsexsix

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
This one I can't really figure out. I mean it's cute, really cute. But it has a major flaw on the back. It went for $127.50!

all of her stuff seems to sell pretty high...[huh]

Smuterella

One Too Many
Josephine said:
I need a gown for the cruise (I don't think the weight will come off for the sizes I have) and I was looking at that. I need something with straps on both sides though to hide the bra. :( How much did it go for?

only 112 USD but a private bidder had put a snipe on it and pipped me to the post. I'm absolutely gutted.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have the biggest girl crush on Virginia O'Brien now! I can't believe I hadn't seen her before. She's amazing. Is there anywhere one can get posters of her? Google isn't forthcoming.

Yay for all the Virginia Love!! I got all my photos, autographs etc.. from eBay. There is one site that had a nice picture of her. I'll PM the link if I can find it.

PS

A-List Customer

I've noticed most things from this seller get rather high. They do a great job of the "up sell".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou