Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Sunny

One Too Many
Marie-Anne, that is so sad! I've seen a LOT of patterns, but that's certainly a new one on me. :(

Here's my sad contribution.

Maroon corduroy, WITH pockets and belt and wonderful detail.

bc6c_1.JPG
bd32_1.JPG

AND a green one, same seller, sans belt but otherwise identical.
4770_1.JPG

And I just flat-out forgot to bid. These were PERFECT. I am so upset!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have been waiting for the auction to be over to post this personal heartbreaker.I didn't even bid on this because i would have had to drive halfway accross the country to pick it up, and i just got a brand new(modern) stove less than 2 months ago, so absolutely no justification, but coulda had this working 1940's stove for $50:(

f0e4_1.JPG

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
olive bleu said:
I have been waiting for the auction to be over to post this personal heartbreaker.I didn't even bid on this because i would have had to drive halfway accross the country to pick it up, and i just got a brand new(modern) stove less than 2 months ago, so absolutely no justification, but coulda had this working 1940's stove for $50:(

f0e4_1.JPG

GASP! 50$$$$ I dont believe it.. I wont believe it! :eek: :eek:

olive bleu

One Too Many
I KNOW!! Look at it! It looks brand new! The starting bid was $50 and no one bid on it! Not ONE person!! They actually re-listed it and again, no takers.All i can think is that gorgeous thing will end up in the trash!:eek: :eek:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Sunny - that dress is gorgeous! Do you sew? If you found a sewing pattern for a simple dress, I'm sure it would be easy to alter the neckline to make it similar. I've never ordered clothes online before, I'd be too scared it wouldn't fit right. Have you ever had that problem?

Olive bleu - I can't believe that stove never sold. It's beautiful and it looks brand new. And for 50! Repro appliances are so expensive too! http://www.pastense.com/appliances.html

Sunny

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Sunny - that dress is gorgeous! Do you sew? If you found a sewing pattern for a simple dress, I'm sure it would be easy to alter the neckline to make it similar. I've never ordered clothes online before, I'd be too scared it wouldn't fit right. Have you ever had that problem?

Yes, I sew - but I work full time and am in grad school, so time is at a premium right now! I'm also a perfectionist, so finding a similar pattern would take an age, then modifying it (which I can do, but hate the process), then finding the fabric, then trying to fit it - all the while knowing it's just not going to be exactly like I really wanted and spending a lot of time achieving mediocrity.

^^ The curse of perfectionism, illustrated. :eek:

I've actually had very good luck online; the vast, vast majority of my vintage garments I bought online. It's a matter of being familiar with my measurements and proportions and the appropriate measurements of the clothing AND discerning how a particular garment fits. I'm about 36-28-38. From experience I know that skirts MUST fit my waist - not be an inch or two bigger - because they sag and look awful. I know that on a dress, an inch or so to play with isn't a problem IF there's a belt. I know that a skirt with full or loose hips will be fine, but a slim-fitting skirt could spell trouble - so I've never bought a pencil skirt or dress with a straight skirt. Stuff like that. That's part of what kills me about these two, since the waists were 28-30, with belts, and the half-circle skirts that feel full, but don't make me look as wide as full circle skirts. And I LOVE pockets and I LOVE the neckline. I could wear them as is, or with a blouse or turtleneck. And boots and tights, or stockings and heels... Waah!

Josephine

One Too Many
It's not over yet, but it is for me... I know this is not the best time to go looking for Pendletons, but I found one that is the right color (blue) and the right size. Right price too, or at least, it was... now it's out of my price range and I have to start all over. I might have to get one in June or July! lol

cb2e_1.JPG

olive bleu

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
I am going to search Ebay high and low for that stove.. mabey it calls for a roadtrip.. where is this thing located? I hope in the states.. LOL

i think i just deleted it from my watch list..it's in oakville, ontario.I would be so happy if you got it!!
ok, i didn't delete it.it's no longer listed but the seller was arthursappetizers..maybe he still has it.Are you serious?That would quite the roadtriplol according to Geobytes-2146 miles.How much do you think you would spend in gas for a $50 stove :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LelaViavonie said:
GASP! 50$$$$ I dont believe it.. I wont believe it! :eek: :eek:

I've seen at least 3 vintage stoves like this on Craigslist up here in Northern California in the last few weeks. If you are serious, I can let you know about the next one that comes up. I won't mention the one that's sitting in my basement either...you just have to knock down a wall and rebuild the wall to get it out of my basement - seriously! :rolleyes:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
There are also vintage stoves -daily- on the LA craigslist

Seriously, they are at this point common enough down here that you can wait and find a style you like more then others.......

just look every day on craigslist....I do it while I have my first cup of coffee...takes 5 min or less each day....to check both housewares where the stoves are listed, and furniture where the bedroom sets hide out....

*grins*

Vintage Betty

With so many home foreclosures, you would be astounded at the amount of vintage furniture being given away, if you haven't already checked...Miss N is right.

Miss 1929

And if they foreclose on us, my vintage stove might come up for sale... no, i don't think I could part with it. Besides, I got a job today, at last...

But I got mine on Craigslist, for $100 with the four jadeite salt and peppers! So do not despair!
Love my stove.

l_435242a7e22ae9c386cd1e950ce0e243.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
Wow, MISS1929 that is one gorgeous stove. I NEVER see vintage appliances for sale here, which is why i was so caught up with the one above.Oh well, i can't have one anyway, so why am torturing myself:(

MarieAnne

Practically Family
What's a sniper? Is that when you bid at the last second? I tried to do that, several times in fact. And everytime I put in a bid, it was matched instantly. Worst 20 seconds of my life! Ok, maybe just my week. I was screaming and jumping up and down at my computer everytime I bid, with my husband sitting next to me bitting his finger nails. It was pretty intense. He knew I'd wanted that dress. Even his mother knew I was bidding on that dress!lol I bid 15.50 and lost but that is what the item sold for. I believe the winning bidder used a bidding assistant, which I have never figured out how to use.
I would start practicing but I just went on an e'Bender' (I think I may have been on the rebound from that dress) and need to take a break. Can a girl have too many sewing patterns?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL