Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
Is that what they call "camiknickers"? I've seen that name used in old novels & stuff, but I've never been sure what the garment would look like!
I think so. In the Lane Bryant catalogs I have, they are called "step-ins". Lauren sent me a copy of one that she has and it look fairly open between the legs. My guess is that one would just pull the crotch to the side to use the toilet. The last time I was at the fabric store, I looked at a couple modern teddy patterns that are cut much slimmer and they all had snaps. I plan on making one as a hot weather undergarment. It will act like a slip through the torso, but won't add an extra layer all down the leg.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:
I was watching that, but I only wanted one of the patterns so I couldn't justify buying the whole lot. You think $7 per pattern is a lot? If they sold individually, they would probably have gone closer to $15 each.

Yeah, $7 for a grouping like that is a bit high. In my past experience small lots have often been cheaper per pattern than larger ones. Perhaps its because a lot of the patterns in this group are late 30s.

I tend to price my bids for lots by the pattern. I try not to go over $4-5 per pattern in small lots $2-3 for large lots.

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
got outbid. Super cute 40s housedress - not polkadots, but a little star pattern.
386317146_o.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Maybe ladies in the Golden Era didn't pee?

I have a set of these and they are actually very comfortable. I admit I bought them on the larger side so they would be loose when the weather is warm.

They tended to have small flat buttons, and the crotch is usually quite loose so it's not uncomfortable when you sit down!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
kamikat said:
I think so. In the Lane Bryant catalogs I have, they are called "step-ins". Lauren sent me a copy of one that she has and it look fairly open between the legs. My guess is that one would just pull the crotch to the side to use the toilet. The last time I was at the fabric store, I looked at a couple modern teddy patterns that are cut much slimmer and they all had snaps. I plan on making one as a hot weather undergarment. It will act like a slip through the torso, but won't add an extra layer all down the leg.

I totally admit to using this method ;) I mean, what?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Forget the last lot I posted.

Picture2.png

This one went for $90! AND all the envelopes have been cut apart and adhered to manila envelopes! :eek:

I fear I may be getting priced out of vintage patterns. :(
Strange thing is, Ive owned two of the pattern in this mediocre bunch, *sigh*

LD

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
I love mail order patterns, and generally dont distinguish from them, but they tend to go for cheaper than over the counter patterns. This was over the counter price. Shipping included thats $7 a pattern. Geeze, that a lot. Plus the designs of the dresses are no too interesting. Pretty simple.
Thats all I mean :)

LD

Cheers for clarifying that for me, Lady Day! This thread is wonderful, there is so much to learn!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Picture13-2.png

$12

This one ended fairly early in the morning (I think 4 am or so) so that is what prolly contributed to the lack of buying power. But still.

I feel bad for the seller.

LD

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Alrighty, I may not be a sewer but good grief... $125 for a pattern?! I'm still a little faint at the idea of spending that much on a whole dress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana