Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

sola fide

One of the Regulars
OK, finally picked up an Open Road Twenty Five that almost fits. I think it is a newer model by the liner logo, but it has the wind trolley, size 7 1/8th and the price was right. After getting it I believe I got my money's worth. My head measures 57cm which the resistol fit perfect at 7 1/8, but the Open Road is a bit loose (maybe stretched by the previous owner)
Some issues:
1. The wind trolley button had a rust line on it
2. The liner is loose on one side and almost seems twisted inside
3. The head band actually seems loose as though I can pull it out
Here are some pics
Liner looks twisted

Note the pink hue of the button is the result of me using salt and lemon juice to remove the rust stain. I should have left the rust stain

Well, "That's all folks"
Mike A

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat Mike! I think in the Ask a Question thread someone mentioned you can purchase a new one from Optimo in Chicago. Someone else mentioned using diluted "Bar Keepers Friend" to remove the rust stain. I think at this point you may be better off giving Optimo a shout and see if they can hook you up. Alan and Mike posted in the Ask a Question thread how to attach a new wind trolley. I will be giving my sewing skills a test in the near future on a Borsalino that had its wind trolley removed. Good luck.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here some more pictures of the Open Road I got in the mail today. The story goes that it was the previous owner's grandfathers and that it was worn a hand full of times and has been in a box for decades. It is in very good condition.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you gentlemen very much. I told the seller that the hat was going to a place where the hat would be well treated and much adored. I am sure she had no idea the extent of appreciation it would receive!

GregNYC

One Too Many
OK, now I want to try one! I will wear it with a fedora crease of some sort, not the cattleman's. I'll look for vintage on ebay. But I have a question on sizing as I've never tried on a Stetson before. My head measurement is 22.25". Depending on the maker, it puts me at 7 1/8 or 7 1/4. 57 more often than 58. Which size should I look for an Open Road from around the 1960s? --Greg

tommyK

One Too Many
My mid to late 50's Royal deluxe Open Road
2014-09-04161603_zpsc0ae1fd5.jpg
_DSC1020_zps86e9cee5.jpg

It has little imperfections, spots and I love it! I'm doing a fix on the liner as well (they had this hat shaped incredibly low and cut down the liner to match!)
It's a hat I don't have to fuss over, a great hat and color for any occasion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats