Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I have Stetson open road clone from the 1950s that doesn't say "Open Road". I'm betting that this one is no different. Great looking hat! BTW-what's up with the matchstick in the ribbon? I've just never seen that.

pytYvrJ.jpg

Do your Open Roads have the bow ends tacked up like this?

Yeah just like this, and the Open Road has a wind trolley.

It's here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?7047-The-Open-Road-Guild/page235

Posting page numbers only works if I have my options set exactly like yours. Some view recent post first, some in original order.
None of my OR's have the ribbon ends tacked against the hatband ribbon body. They all have a loose end down on the brim. Some more than others.
Subtle differences but there a lots of western models in the Miller catalogs thread that look so close to OR's but are different models.

javadave61

Practically Family
Please accept my application into the Open Road Guild

What a joy it is to offer my application for membership into the Open Road Guild. The gods placed favor upon me today. Please indulge my story...

In my new found love of hats, I found an Akubra Stockman at an antique store a few weeks ago, and in my excitement, I bought the hat and left without really seeing what else could be found. It was bugging me, so today, I took a drive out there to see what else may be ready to surprise me, all the way preparing myself for the fact that I would likely not find anything. But hunting goes that way some times. I walked what seemed like a half mile up and down every aisle, seeing nothing. I was about four or five booths away from the exit, lamenting my lack of a find. Suddenly (cue the music)...

I look to my right and over on top of a shelf, nearly hidden away, I catch the sight of silverbelly. I did my best not to get excited, because most of the time, it's a mirage. Or worse, it's 6 3/4. Being a 7 1/2, I expect to be disappointed. As I move closer, I feel my pulse quickening as I wonder... could it be...

At this point, allow me to take you back to last evening, when I stayed up late into the night scouring eBay to dream of the Stetson Open Road. I recently placed it on my top five list of hats I must one day own. But the prices. Oh the prices. And with moth bites and few 7 1/2s. I decided last night to take the long approach. Be patient, and wait. My day would come.

So I approached the silverbelly beast sitting there on the shelf, all coiled and ready to disappoint. I reached up. Lifted it from atop its box. And there it was. The cattleman's crease. The bound brim. The slender ribbon. Usually, I inspect a hat. Look for the size. Ponder it first. Prepare myself for a hat that doesn't fit. Not this time. I ripped the hat from its shelf, pressed it to my head. And it slipped down.... so gently... onto my crown. It. Fit. Oh my. It. Fit. I checked the size. 7 3/8. Sometimes - well few times - that works. Today it did. And there, faded in the leather band was the few remaining letters that made it's stature official: "The Open Road." She's a 4x beauty with flawless felt.

Then the panic. What's the price!? My hand trembled reaching for the tag. $70. Still more than I've ever paid for a hat. But less than I've seen. I start to calculate what I will to say to my wife. As I think, I turn. And what is that I see before me? A big red sign. "Today only. Everything 50% off."

It was everything I could do not to run to the register. I casually drew the Capital One Quicksilver card from its holster and slid it gently across the counter. My hand trembled just a little as I signed the receipt. $35.

I sat my new baby in the front seat next to me and gently touched her forehead. I promised I would treat her well. I would give her a gentle steam bath when we arrived at her new home and wash away those small indentions. I would brush her carefully. I would ensure the dust that had invaded her fur would never touch her again. She had a new home. My new Open Road.

IMG_3777.jpg IMG_3805.jpg IMG_3783.jpg IMG_3786.jpg IMG_3804.jpg IMG_3809.jpg

Attachments

• 1956852_10206289304173100_2780575567240605776_o.jpg
    1956852_10206289304173100_2780575567240605776_o.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 258

g.durand

One Too Many
Congrats, javadave. Great story, and it looks great on you. Who knows how long that that hat was sitting there waiting for the right person to show up?!!

Congrats Javadave61!
Great narrative and great hat and great bargain! A cattleman creased Open Road is one of my all time favorite styles of hat. The look works well for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner