Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to interfere in this thread but i am having trouble posting a new message. I'm new here and trying to decide between an OR or a Stratoliner w/ Cattleman crease. I've heard so much about the difficulty fitting the OR because of the low crown and crease style--especially when buying via mail order. I would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, observations, opinions etc. about getting a proper fit for my 7 5/8 head.
Much appreciated,
Old Gus
Can’t go wrong with an Akubra Campdraft.

Sorry to interfere in this thread but i am having trouble posting a new message. I'm new here and trying to decide between an OR or a Stratoliner w/ Cattleman crease. I've heard so much about the difficulty fitting the OR because of the low crown and crease style--especially when buying via mail order. I would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, observations, opinions etc. about getting a proper fit for my 7 5/8 head.
Much appreciated,
Old Gus
Since you are ordering new your best bet is to get a Camp Draft, as Rick suggested. You need a true 6" open crown. Sometimes you can clear with a 5-3/4 but it depends on the size & depth of the dents you put in it also. I'm a 7-5/8 also so I speak from experience. I don't think you will get what you need from either the current OR or the Strat. You can find older 3X's & even some 4X's that will work.

3X OR
IMG_1361.jpg

Camp Draft 2-3/4 x 6
IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3564.jpg

Custom Michael Gannon 2-3/4 x 5-3/4
IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

& with Dogbone
IMG_4581.jpg

Last edited:

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Much appreciated,
Old Gus
I agree with what everyone else is saying, I own several vintage Open Roads, two modern Stratoliners and three Campdrafts in 7 5/8. For the money, your best bet is an Akubra Campdraft. They come with a tall open crown, in a few different colors, you can crease them anyway you want ( I recommend using the shower and not steam to shape them) and they really can take abuse and adverse weather.

Much appreciated,
Old Gus

The Hattery aka Hats Direct has a little sale on: $10 off their hats. With standard shipping an Akubra Campdraft cost me $140.85. Not as cheap as they once were (what is?), but still one of the great values in the hat world.

Some people report a perfect fit from Akubra every time. Me, not so much. Some people haven’t had their Akubra sweatbands shrink, but all of my Imperial grade hats have shrunk a bit (maybe 1/4 of a size?). I’m a 7 5/8 long oval and I get the best fit from 7 3/4 Akubras: they start out wearable but just a tad loose and quickly shrink to the perfect fit.

Good luck and post photos of whatever you end up with.

https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1

Maillotyawn

New in Town
In my first post here, I asked about the true color an OR in natural. I ended up buying it and while I know the current OR isn't thought of very well here, I must say I really like it. The color is exactly what I wanted and it fits great. I do see where the low crown can touch the top of your head but since I'm folliclely challenged, my head clears the top just barely, but it does clear.
Everyone says to get the CD and I do plan to especially now that David Morgan and JJ Hat Center are supposed to carry it. Hopefully we get the dark brown CD here in the States. One reason I went with the Stetson was I was uncertain of size and I could easily do an exchange here rather than reselling or returning a hat to Australia.
That said, the main reason I went w/ Stetson is I wanted to support a classic American company with such a storied history, especially in this brutal retail landscape we're in. I know they aren't what they used to be but I still think it would be a sad day if Stetson went under or off shore.

Royce Bloom

New in Town
In my first post here, I asked about the true color an OR in natural. I ended up buying it and while I know the current OR isn't thought of very well here, I must say I really like it. The color is exactly what I wanted and it fits great.

Any chance you’d be willing to post a picture or two of it? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those, but I’m just not sure what the natural felt looks like.

Maillotyawn

New in Town
Any chance you’d be willing to post a picture or two of it? I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those, but I’m just not sure what the natural felt looks like.

Sure, I'll see if I can post a pic tonight. In the meantime, watch this video. The reporter puts on a natural royal deluxe OR. I'd say it's pretty accurate. Hat is at 1' 03". He tries it on a 1' 53" but its under direct light.

In my first post here, I asked about the true color an OR in natural. I ended up buying it and while I know the current OR isn't thought of very well here, I must say I really like it. The color is exactly what I wanted and it fits great. I do see where the low crown can touch the top of your head but since I'm folliclely challenged, my head clears the top just barely, but it does clear.
Everyone says to get the CD and I do plan to especially now that David Morgan and JJ Hat Center are supposed to carry it. Hopefully we get the dark brown CD here in the States. One reason I went with the Stetson was I was uncertain of size and I could easily do an exchange here rather than reselling or returning a hat to Australia.
That said, the main reason I went w/ Stetson is I wanted to support a classic American company with such a storied history, especially in this brutal retail landscape we're in. I know they aren't what they used to be but I still think it would be a sad day if Stetson went under or off shore.

Sadly, Stetson stopped making hats in 1970/71. They sold the right to use the name to Stevens Hat Co. and since then others have owned the right to the name. These hats were not made by Stetson, but the companies who owned the rights to the name. Currently, Stetson is part of Hat Co. (Hat-Co) which is a subsidiary of the Pro Equine Group.

Stetson as a hat company has been dead and gone for almost 50 years. That’s not to say that the current hats using the Stetson name are terrible. I quite like some of them...particularly the models they discontinued over the last few years. :(

Maillotyawn

New in Town
Thanks for the info. It's definitely new to me. Maybe I'm being naive but I try to buy quality American goods like Alden and Filson. I have enough pairs of Aldens to last 2 lifetimes. I know Filson is now owned by Bedrock and they sell a lot of crap but the bags they make here are still pretty nice. Again, not like they used to make but still nice and still made here.
That said, there is still a company in Texas that makes hats using the Stetson name and I guess that's enough for me.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hey, we like all OR's, new or old. Please feel welcomed to post any time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana