Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
7D28E210-DE53-4A6E-B718-376B352D1ADA.png
Open Roadsters - I have a question. Do any of you live up North or in the Northeast US and wear the OR when out and about? What is the reaction? I fear hearing the dreaded “ Where’s your horse?”
As long as they don’t call you Buford T Justice.
B

glider

A-List Customer
Nice hat is the only comment I've gotten on my O.R. With the brim smaller than a standard western hat people aren't sure it's a western hat or a dress hat. I wear it with the brim down front and rear. I just have one, a silver belly, I would like to have a black O.R. for more of an everyday hat, the silver belly is nice but will show any dirt or stain.

Nice hat is the only comment I've gotten on my O.R. With the brim smaller than a standard western hat people aren't sure it's a western hat or a dress hat. I wear it with the brim down front and rear. I just have one, a silver belly, I would like to have a black O.R. for more of an everyday hat, the silver belly is nice but will show any dirt or stain.

Get in line, LOL.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have not found a vintage black yet (I keep looking) so I'm having a custom built for me...it's still a couple of weeks out :)

Get in line, LOL.

glider

A-List Customer
The Hat shop here, Levine, Had a black O.R. but it was a 6 7/8. On sale to only one I've seen. I'm talking about new hats. Most vintage hats in good condition go for obscene money. I get a deal occasionally but it's getting rare. Anybody can pay what something is worth, that's no fun.

Last edited:
I have not found a vintage black yet (I keep looking) so I'm having a custom built for me...it's still a couple of weeks out :)

Vintage is what I'm referring to. They make new ones in black, but I don't like the new ones so much.

The Hat shop here, Levine, Had a black O.R. but it was a 6 7/8. On sale to only one I've seen. I'm talking about new hats. Most vintage hats in good condition go for obscene money. I get a deal occasionally but it's getting rare. Anybody can pay what something is worth, that's no fun.

Oh, they're still out there, or I wouldn't still be buying hats. You gotta be kind of obsessive. It also helps to have enablers on your side. Several folks in my orbit (Lounge and non-Lounge) give me tips.

@Hurricane Jack has a black OR, or his might be more of a charcoal grey. Still a beaut regardless

I'm lucky enough to have a charcoal Dallas. All my ORs are SB/Tan. Joe's recent black playboy purchase was a very rare bird, as well.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It's hard to beat the Open Road.

Another one that came in from Oslo is this one. Filled a gap in my collection that was there to fill.
Stetson 3X beaver Open Road in silverbelly. You know these hats better than I do. Not as stiff as I had expected and I really like the shallow brim flange.

stetson-open-road_01-jpg.309623
stetson-open-road_02-jpg.309624
stetson-open-road_03-jpg.309625
stetson-open-road_04-jpg.309626
stetson-open-road_06-jpg.309627
stetson-open-road_07-jpg.309628
stetson-open-road_08-jpg.309629
stetson-open-road_09-jpg.309630
stetson-open-road_11-jpg.309631
stetson-open-road_12-jpg.309632

Forum statistics

Threads