Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Here you go, Churchill OR clone:

p1012392au1.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man said:
I have been hunting for an OR but they have been selling like hotcakes at ebay. Today my patience paid off. It looks like it needs a little TLC but it should clean up nicely. What do you think?

I think you did great! 35 bucks -- are you kidding me? Hat looks to be in exceptionally good shape. My prediction is that, after a cleaning, that is going to be one nice looking lid. Congrats, Viper Man! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Rick Blaine

Hats off

Your patience has paid off. I paid fifty bucks for a royal deluxe of the same vintage in dove gray and that was two years ago. A very fine acquisition, indeed. Beware tho' one thin ribbon ain't never enough!

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love these kind of deals! This will be my first thin ribbon hat. I was never completely sold on the look of the Open Road until one day I saw a great photo of Hank Williams sporting one. It changed my mind immediately. A true epiphany. :D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
I paid fifty bucks for a royal deluxe of the same vintage in dove gray and that was two years ago.

Rick -- can you describe what you mean by "dove gray"? (or give an example...) I'm not sure I have a sense of what this is.

Thanks,
JtL

Viper Man

Banned
I am fairly certain I would have paid much more for it had the seller listed specifics in the auction title. I was very lucky. The listing was vague enough to not attract attention. Also, the full size wasn't mentioned which may have thwarted some advanced searches. I was chewing my fingernails though, the priced jumped dramatically in the last minute but apparently I had already outbid the sniper. Yee Haw! :cheers1:

Rick Blaine

jimmy the lid said:
Rick -- can you describe what you mean by "dove gray"? (or give an example...) I'm not sure I have a sense of what this is.

Thanks,
JtL
V8lrg.jpg

Here is a close up of the hat in question. At least on my monitor, this is a pretty good approximation of the true color.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
I am on the verge of being a member in good standing

I bought an Open Road, but I'm a little timid about wearing it in public. It's not exactly a Manhattan hat. I guess until I can get the guts I can't truly claim to be a member of the ORG. I'd like to post a picture of me wearing the hat, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. Until I can figure it out, the avatar will have to suffice. Does anyone else on this forum have trouble breaking through self-consciousness barrier?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Consider the fact that you see people wearing bandanas wrapped on their heads and blue-tooth phones stuck in their ears. An Open Road is a pretty nice option! If you like it thats enough....nice hat in your avatar. ;)

Viper Man

Banned
PhilS said:
I bought an Open Road, but I'm a little timid about wearing it in public. It's not exactly a Manhattan hat. I guess until I can get the guts I can't truly claim to be a member of the ORG. I'd like to post a picture of me wearing the hat, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. Until I can figure it out, the avatar will have to suffice. Does anyone else on this forum have trouble breaking through self-consciousness barrier?

You can only link to photos here. open up a free account at picturetrail or photobucket, etc. and the copy the URL and then paste it into your post using the picture button in the tool bar. The icon for the button looks like a mountain and sun.

Mulceber

Practically Family
PhilS said:

Depends what you mean by "not a Manhattan hat." If you mean that it's a tad western...well you can bash it differently and make it look a little less cowboy-ish. If you mean that it's a fedora, well there's not much you can do about that. I'd say just stick it on your head, take a deep breath and step out the door. -Mulceber

Viper Man

Banned
PhilS said:
...Does anyone else on this forum have trouble breaking through self-consciousness barrier?

My advice is to trust yourself. If you like the hat and feel that it looks good on you, go for it. A friend asked me recently how I got away with wearing vintage fedoras with contemporary casual clothes (I never wear suits except for weddings and funerals). I told him that there is really only one requirement in wearing a hat you love, "You've got to have the confidence to put it on your head". Everything is easy after that. Your OR looks pretty sweet in your avatar photo, wear it in good health!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran