Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I watched that one too, and was surprised that it didn't make at least another $50. I think that the ones with that liner were the last of the 25 line, but that's just a guess.

kiltie

Practically Family
Just got this one...

...via UPS today. The body is REEEEEEEEALY nice, with a cream colored Royal DeLuxe liner that's near perfect. You can tell the guy babied it because there's no mark at the pinch. It has more of a general "fluff" in the felt ( that can be brushed out ) at the front of the crown, like he'd hold it in the open palm of his hand to put it on. The color is right on in the picture:

BYr4g8wBGkKGrHgoH-DwEjlLlzbOWBKi2Ny.jpg

Here's the rub: it needs a reblock pretty badly. There's some concern, as I hope the local hatter has either original Open Road style blocks or something very similar. The place has been around forever, so I've got my fingers crossed because the blockshape is very nice.
Another thing; the brim is fully a quarter inch more narrow than my 3X and thus better suited to my face. More city, less country.
I love this hat and it will almost surely jump up to the no.1 "go to" hat with it's versitile color and shape.

EDIT:
Can anyone speculate as to the age of this one on the hints of the narrower brim, Royal DeLuxe liner, and no "7'" in the "7 1/4" size tag? All of the Stetson markings ( trademark, model name, etc...) are on one side of the sweatband, leaving blank the other side for the sellers imprint )

Lefty said:
I watched that one too, and was surprised that it didn't make at least another $50. I think that the ones with that liner were the last of the 25 line, but that's just a guess.
I agree Lefty with what that shot of the liner showed. The crown looked supple enough to re-crease. Somebody got a good buy to me.

kiltie said:
BYr4g8wBGkKGrHgoH-DwEjlLlzbOWBKi2Ny.jpg

Can anyone speculate as to the age of this one on the hints of the narrower brim, Royal DeLuxe liner, and no "7'" in the "7 1/4" size tag? All of the Stetson markings ( trademark, model name, etc...) are on one side of the sweatband, leaving blank the other side for the sellers imprint )
LIKE that color a lot, Kiltie. Is the size tag shiny or dull? Is Stetson on the size tag & if so what type of font?
I'm not sure the brim size will help that much except that the real modern ones all are about the same. My late 1940's OR is 3" brim & have a late 50s early 60s that is 2 5/8.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:

Yes -- liner and sweat are consistent with mid-50's. Nice score, kiltie. I'm looking forward to seeing that one after the re-block.

Cheers,
JtL

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks...

...gtd and jtl

Hopefully I'll have it at the hatter before the weekend and back by midweek-next. As soon as it's squared ( blocked? ) away, I'll put up some more pictures.
Thanks, again!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
I agree Lefty with what that shot of the liner showed. The crown looked supple enough to re-crease. Somebody got a good buy to me.

Guilty. I wanted this one because it fits between my 3X OR and my 7X clear beaver OR. Any idea when the last of the 25's were made? I was able to determine that the Charles P. Shipley Saddlery and Mercantile came in to business around the turn of the century and went out of business in 1972.

Inusuit said:
Guilty. I wanted this one because it fits between my 3X OR and my 7X clear beaver OR. Any idea when the last of the 25's were made? I was able to determine that the Charles P. Shipley Saddlery and Mercantile came in to business around the turn of the century and went out of business in 1972.
Nice buy Evan. Mid-60s I think for last ones. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Justdog

Practically Family
Byrnie Utz

redhawks2 said:
Accidentally erased three photos. Anyone have a guess as to the age of this OR?
http://byrnieutzhats.com/
Could call them and ask? Have that same liner logo in a Royal Deluxe. That sweat looks great very nice quality. Nice Open Road stamp like on a 25. Very nice hat 3x beaver is a bit older I believe than 70. Do not have the rectangle though so that is much different any older ones I have.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
can anyone ID this as an Open Road? the seller says it has a few moth nibbles and some slight staining. It's a Stetson. Size 7 1/8". Inside band says John B. Stetson Co. 4XBeaver. Even includes a "Fake" $20 bill in the band. I am a 7 1/2" but but thought it may be possible to stretch to fit, maybe not. I can get for a good price, so any help is appreciated. Can provide bigger pics if that would help.

il_430xN85540743.jpg

il_430xN85540848.jpg

il_430xN85541035.jpg

il_430xN85541179.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If it doesn't say Open Road, it's not an OR - it's an OR-like-ish-kinda-sorta-clone. From the liner and sweat, I'd say that's a newer one - no older than 70s.

illumin8em said:
can anyone ID this as an Open Road? ... It's a Stetson. Size 7 1/8". Inside band says John B. Stetson Co. 4XBeaver. Even includes a "Fake" $20 bill in the band. I am a 7 1/2" but but thought it may be possible to stretch to fit, maybe not. I can get for a good price, so any help is appreciated. Can provide bigger pics if that would help.

il_430xN85541035.jpg

il_430xN85541179.jpg
I'd stretch one from 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 but would never try one from 7 1/8. That is a fairly modern liner & sweatband like Lefty said. You can find more vintage ones if your patient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner