Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't sure where to put this but I thought it was a neat pic - some open road clones getting in line for a steaming...
8325a5a4.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Whew... I was afraid they were in line for a toasting.

Lol! Even with copious amounts of butter, I think they would be rather bland and chewy... :D

A "toast", to the Open Road and it's Clones!

42-18123026.jpg

Rodkins, could you tell us the makes of these three nice looking hats?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Lol! Even with copious amounts of butter, I think they would be rather bland and chewy... :D

A "toast", to the Open Road and it's Clones!

Rodkins, could you tell us the makes of these three nice looking hats?

The first (from left to right) is a Royal Stetson (no open road designation so I made it an honorary clone), the second is a Resistol, and the third is Penney's Marathon. I took this pic a little while back and saw it this morning when I was posting to another thread - so I stuck it here before I forgot about it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, apparently Sheplers' service has been helpful so far, and after a series of emails, they are sending out the UPS as soon as possible (within the next few days). So I'm hopeful that my next Open Road will be of a better quality. As it turns out, strange bumps on the felt were forming after it had got wet in a couple of rains. These lumps stuck out like sores, and I don't think there would have been a way to reverse it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, apparently Sheplers' service has been helpful so far, and after a series of emails, they are sending out the UPS as soon as possible (within the next few days). So I'm hopeful that my next Open Road will be of a better quality. As it turns out, strange bumps on the felt were forming after it had got wet in a couple of rains. These lumps stuck out like sores, and I don't think there would have been a way to reverse it.

Good,
Glad to hear that Shepler's is doing right by you on this. They have always been a stand-up firm in my experience and I'm glad it is working out for you. Let us see your new OR when you get it :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Sure thing, when it comes, I'll post a picture or two of it. Obviously, it should be in pristine, new condition, but within the first week I may already start wearing it going out hiking, or just maybe, even up to the mountains (if I decide not to bring my Federation IV instead, which can obviously handle snow). I don't mind my Open Road getting a bit dirty, I wouldn't mind achieving a rugged "cowboy" look with this hat, if it happens to end up this way.

But would you advise against wearing in the rain, this time?

azhiker

One of the Regulars
WOW, I finally made it to the 'bigtime' I found this Open Road at a consignment shop outside of Metro Detroit. I may have paid too much, ($82) but it was absolutely immaculate. The owner of the store had just thrown away the box the day before as he thought he had already sold this hat. I brushed it up, steamed in and with the use of kitchen utensils kinda reblocked it. Then creased it to a teardrop wanna be. It's a 7 1/2 , but fits my 7 3/8 noggin pretty good. Any ideas of date on it? I have heard early to mid 70's?

Please don't be mean, I only had kitchen utensils to work with. It needs tweaking still, but it really looks good on my head. It's funny, this is the cheapest hat I own, (Biltmore Rosellini, two other Biltmores, and two Stetson conversions) and as far as photos, it looks best to me.

Here it is as I bought it. It had a little crinkle in the crease, but no holes, marks, etc:
BTW, the sweat is a very supple 'BROWN' leather. it just looks black in the photos.
74977-m-0.jpg

I hope this application in the Open Road Guild is suffiencent. I am very excited to be here and will carry the torch with honor!

74978-m-0.jpg

74979-m-0.jpg

74980-m-0.jpg

74982-m-2.jpg

74983-m-0.jpg

Here is is open crown, again done with only common kitchen tools (damn I wish I had a block!):

74981-m-0.jpg

Here is it finished for now. It still has 'ghosts' of the former crease, but surprisingly, it can be changed rather easy. The felt is very soft, and smooth. I'm really impressed, but then again I'm a newby!

75004-m-0.jpg

75006-m-0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 25B
So far looks pretty good, azhiker. The newer OR's tend to have lower, more tapered crowns,
so you have to tinker a bit to make a diamond or C-crown from the cattleman crease, but it
definitely qualifies you for the ORG.

VERY Interesting....Raw Edge Open Road....

I was going back over the catalog that Victor posted last October because it is Friday & such an exciting day at work = http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...er-1956-1957&p=1102947&viewfull=1#post1102947

On page 36, item "C" the description reads =
5 1/2-inch Crown, 3-inch RAW EDGE BRIM, Silver Belly, Satin Lined
STETSON'S "OPEN ROAD"...Medium weight hat with smooth finish. Tailored raw edge brim. Matched silk band. Can be worn snap brim or side roll brim. Leather sweat.

First time I have seen reference to an Open Road without a bound edge. Hmmmmmm.....

azshawn

Familiar Face
Hello gentlemen,
I've been a lurker and contributed a tiny amount here and there but I finally have a post worthy hat. I found this Open Road locally...but it doesn't fit. I wear a 7 1/2 and found a 7 5/8. I bought it anyway because the price was right and thought I could pad the sweat enough to make it work, but it still just feels too big and wobbles around on my head when I walk..oh well. I was wondering what you guys thought the vintage of this hat might be?

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1168.jpg

DSCN1171.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

Also, Is this box correct? It kind of looks like a home made franken-box to me (like a label is pasted on and antiqued), but I'm just guessing
DSCN1179.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Lovely OR, azshawn. Sorry to hear that it doesn't fit. That can be frustrating, I know. Keep looking. Another in your size will turn up eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy