Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

carter

I'll Lock Up
I need to visit here more often

Kiltie, That OR is OUTSTANDING! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
IMG_0781.jpg

nickn5, Nice OR. Looking forward to seeing it on your noggin. I
DSC00352.jpg

Portolan and Michaelshane, Nice OR's, gentlemen. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
My best guess is 1960's...the 7 1/4 is the newest of the two.

This is my OR 25...I believe it is from the 50's. The sweatband is a full 2" wide. The liner lacks that gold piping around the plastic. Also the faux adjustable sweatband is omitted.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
At last...

a photo of my 50s OR on the stretcher and me wearing it after some minor resizing and some major reshaping... :

Aiming for a diamond crease:

DSC00360.jpg

On me noggin...

DSC00363.jpg

N. :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My new Campdraft arrived from Hats Direct after only seven days' wait. Last night I set about bashing it. Please understand that I've never bashed a hat (on purpose) in my life, so this was quite an experience.

Step one was to "block" the hat to fit my long-oval melon. My Campdraft is size 7 5/8, so I used a smaller, medium-sized hat stretcher and a lot of steam to lengthen the opening. Then I let it "set" for an hour.

Step two was to snap down the brim. This was pretty easy. Didn't need much steam or effort to do this.

Step three was to form the crown. Frankly, this took a fair amount of work. I was trying to copy RBH's Stratoliner---which is about the sharpest looking lid I've ever seen. Please believe me, I made a lot of trips from the teapot on my kitchen stove to my computer screen in my effort to get the lines of the crown exactly right. Sadly, I didn't even come close. I never could quite duplicate those classic lines.

Step four was to put the pinch in the front. Again, this took a fair amount of steam and effort to get the symmetry the way I thought it should be.

Anyhow, here's my Campdraft---Atticus blocked and bashed. I have to say, I like it...and my cat, Maggie...well she thinks its the cat's meow!

campdraft008-1.jpg

campdraft009-1.jpg

campdraft004-1.jpg

campdraft014-1.jpg

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Karl. I was so happy with how my hat turned out that I just ordered another Campdraft---this time in silverbelly, and this time from EA. The service from HD was first rate---but, for me, the marginal utility of yet another Open Road styled hat has gotten low enough that I had to go with EA's more reasonable price. The wait will be three months, but I have plenty of hats to wear until then.

AF

rgraham

A-List Customer
Nicely done. I can see that after elongating the hat into a long oval, you ended up with the same little reverse flip in the brim as I did. It's kind of subtle, but it's there.

I too ordered another Campdraft after my first, but ordered it in a long oval. You may want to include that in your new order so you won't have to stretch it out yourself. I'm hoping this will make for a nice smooth curve in the front from crown to tip of front brim.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
rgraham said:
Nicely done. I can see that after elongating the hat into a long oval, you ended up with the same little reverse flip in the brim as I did. It's kind of subtle, but it's there.

I too ordered another Campdraft after my first, but ordered it in a long oval. You may want to include that in your new order so you won't have to stretch it out yourself. I'm hoping this will make for a nice smooth curve in the front from crown to tip of front brim.

Thank you. That was a good suggestion. I just e-mailed EA and asked if I could amend my order to specify a long oval size 61.

AF

Atticus Finch said:
Thank you. That was a good suggestion. I just e-mailed EA and asked if I could amend my order to specify a long oval size 61.

AF
Does EA do the blocking to Long Oval then ship? I'd assume Akubra just makes them to the size & doesn't have this step at the factory but could be wrong...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
Does EA do the blocking to Long Oval then ship? I'd assume Akubra just makes them to the size & doesn't have this step at the factory but could be wrong...

Not yet sure. As soon as EA returns my e-mail I'll post their answer. If long oval is really available from vendors such as HD and EA, it will be yet another reason for me to just buy Akubra hats from now on.

AF

I've also read on here that Campdrafts tend to seem larger than other styles, possibly due to the Open Crown, but they come back to your head after wearing a good while. I have a Kiandra in 61 that fits real nice.

univibe88

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
Hi All,

I received an e-mail from Everything Australian this morning. Of course, it was in response to yesterday's request for a long oval Campdraft.

Tough to beat that kind of service, don't y'all think?

AF

Fantastic service

gtdean48 said:
Here is Sam of EA's reply about Long Ovals =
The hats can be 'long ovaled' in two ways, the best way is to do it when the hat is being made (we are too late for this), the other way is to get akubra to put it on the long oval block and then they can steam it. I will tell akubra to do this to your hats, and there will be no problems with this.
Next time state in the special comments section of your order that you would like them to be long oval.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy