Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Bart -- can you get us a close-up of the logo on the sweat?

Thanks,
JtL

Here you go Jimmy
openroad010.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Not true. The Royal DeLuxe that I posted (and that you reference) is 2 7/8". Conversely, I have a couple of lids with 2 3/4" brims with the Last Drop liner. There is no correlation between the use of the Last Drop liner and brim width.

Cheers,
JtL

Okay, thanks.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Jimmy, thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into my question on dating my OR. As Sue said...you are true asset to the lounge!

Please note that the logo and print on the sweat was originally gold but has faded from use. Close inspection of the top of the print and logo show trace amounts of gold.

I went back and took a few better detail photos in hopes that they aid you in dating the hat. Serendipitously I found a serial number stamped on the inside of the band that I did not notice before. To my eyes it reads 536542.

Are you familiar with such numbering and does it add any clues?

Thanks again for the time you have invested and I'm drooling over the OR posted as reference.

IMG_4042.jpg

ORnumber.jpg

ORribbon.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Royal Stetson Deluxe wide-ribbon has arrived

I don't have a camera to take pics, but here's what I found:

1. Almost certain the wide-ribbon was added later - stitching for bow goes through the liner and I found holes inside the hat where the old ribbon was probably sewn. The bow has frayed edges like a Cavanagh and has as tight of a weave as any hat I own. The bow is placed closer to the back of the hat than normal.
2. Has 'T. Belly' stamped in faded purple inside the sweatband, twice.
3. Does NOT have the wide orange oilskin to protect the hat from the sweatband - I mention this because my Royal DeLuxe Stetson DOES have it.
4. Has same number (102) on red tag as the above hat, but different reorder # on orange tag and sweat (B937556)
5. Original price-tag says $12.50
6. Belonged to Clive Ellsworth LeVoir (sticker inside sweat). Born 1918, died 1990 (googled him and located his gravesite)

edited to add:

7. Has very smooth leather sweatband surface, while the hat shown above, and my similar one, have the rougher finish.
8. Brim is a full 3 inches and brim binding is slightly wider/flatter than the Royal Deluxe Stetson - binding is closer to my '40s Nutria.

It's a BIG hat.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
I don't know that; however, the hat being discussed does have a black ribbon, as do the only other examples we have seen of wide-ribbons (two).

OK, the known ones are all black. Thanks.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you all, gentlemen! This one will get a lot of use. The color does seem to vary with the light, but its true color is more of a tan than ivory.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
May I join this club?

May I petition for membership with this? The first picture is how it arrived, then a few of the interior. Finally, the results when I was done applying a little steam (using a teapot for which I paid the princely sum of $1.50). It still needs a good cleaning, as you can still see some grime from a cattleman's crease that it held for a long time.

Also, some help in dating this would be very much appreciated. The seller said 1950s, but I'm not entirely convinced. Unfortunately, I'm also thoroughly awful at dating Stetsons, so I need some help from you fine fellers.

yanito

New in Town
Hello everyone

I'm new to this site. I just bought a vintage Stetson Open Road and I'm wondering if anyone knows what time period it's from.

stetsonjohn005.jpg

stetsonjohn004cropped.jpg

stetsonjohn001.jpg

stetsonjohn003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk