Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Anyone have any ideas what this is besides just a Mallory Ten? It appears to be an OR clone. I just got it off eBay for minimum bid. It was originally sold at a hat shop in Moose Jaw, Sask., Canada. Pretty nice hat and in very good shape for its likely age. I really like the ribbon.

Landman

One Too Many
Rick, very cool hat! The ribbon does have an Open Road look to it but the brim looks a little wide for an Open Road clone. I have a feeling that hat was made before Stetson started naming hats Open Road. Great hat!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Mike, you are right. It's brim is right at 3", so it is larger than most ORs I've read about. It's a bit of a hybrid. It may end up being one of my favorite hats. I couldn't believe I was the only bidder but the photos and description were not of great quality.

Bumping the List...
Adam Adamajestic
Adam LBJ Style R
Adam Lonestar
Adam Mainliner
Adam Tan Texas (64 L.B.J.K)
Adam Texan
Adam Texarkana
Adam Waco
Akubra Campdraft
Alexander 4x4
Alexander Coronet
Bailey Beaver 20 ??
Bandera ??? (3X, 5X/25)
Beaver Brand River Runner
Biltmore Open Road (Wilderness, Silver Buckle)
Biltmore Calgary
Bonar-Phelps L.B.J.
Borsalino Alessandria
Bradford Ltd Kingston
Byron ???
Champ Ranger
Champ Texan
Chesterfield Adventure
Churchill Beaver 35 ??
Courtney ?? ( for Harry Livingston)
Disney Ranger
Dobbs 20 ???
Dobbs Westward
Dobbs West Open Trail
Dunlap 20 ???
Kenworth Imperial ???
Knox 20 ???
Knox Westlite
LaSalle ???
Lee Corral (JCPenney Marathon, Towncraft, etc.)
Lee Trail
Mallory Dallas
Miller Douglas (Beaver Brand or Biltmore ?)
Park Crest Western
Penney Marathon
Peter Bros Shady Oak Bankers Special
Portis Sterling
Portis Pathfinder
Resistol Dalworth
Resistol Fort Worth/Pecos
Resistol Saddler
Resistol San Antonio
Resistol The Wide Country
Resistol Waco
Richman Bros Rambler
Schoble Mainliner
Shudde Bros ???
Society Club ???
Stephen L. Stetson Open Road
Stevens Gold Beaver
Stevens The President
Stevens ??? (Imperial & DeLuxe)
Tanbark 1546
Windsor ???
Wormser 3X 10Star
Wormser Texan
Various Store brands (ie Richman Bros, et al)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd add my Knox 15 Westlite to the "Other Open Roads" thread. The hat was missing the original ribbon and after some searching I was unable to locate one for it. I thought of putting a Stetson OR ribbon on it but the undertone of the color was off. I decided instead to sew on this dark brown thin ribbon with an OR type bow. The hat came out really crisp, but that's the benefit of nice vintage felt to work with....

Knox_11.jpg

Knox_13.jpg

Knox_12.jpg

Knox_10.jpg

Knox_15_top_view.jpg

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
I asked this on the other thread about Stetsons, but how receptive are most of the clones from bygone days - say the 60s - likely to be for reshaping the crown? There seem to be a good number of them available from that era, many with a cattleman's crease. Is it possible to generalize, or will there be a big difference based on manufacturer?

fedoracentric

Banned
If it is a fur felt made before the 1960s, it can likely be easily reshaped by hand. After that, sometimes the manufacturers put a bunch of stiffener in them. Still, if it is fur felt it can be reshaped, but it may take a hat store to do it.

rclark

Call Me a Cab

I got this hat a few months ago but am just now getting a chance to post some photos. The liner reads "Repell-X", but I'm not sure that is a true brand of hats. I suppose this is a store brand hat. It was originally sold at a store in Austin. The felt quality is really nice and the hat is in NOS condition. If any of you have any info on Repell-X hats I'd love to hear about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo