Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

You are not alone in that. Most people here don't seem to like Open Roads either. They change the crease and turn then into Stratoliner clones.

Open Roads can and have always been creased in different ways. A cattleman crease does not an Open Road make. They traditionally came open crown.

ORs and Stratoliners are different hats made on different blocks with different flanging. Changing the crease on an OR does not make it a Strat "clone."

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

You are not alone in that. Most people here don't seem to like Open Roads either. They change the crease and turn then into Stratoliner clones.
Open Roads while often given a "Rancher" (actually known by many names) crease all originally came open crown. This same style crease is often found on early 20th century fedoras and homburgs as well. I wear modified versions myself on many new and vintage hats........
The "Open Road" as we know it, seems to be a rename of a very old Stetson Model the "Kingston" which had all the same dimensions. Ads seem to indicate it came out (as the OR) sometime in the early to mid 1940's ......
The "Stratoliner" was first introduced around 1938-39 as an unlined thin ribbon fedora for $6.50. It too was sold open crown. The Strat does always seem to have a 2 1/2 inch brim, while generally the OR has a 2 5/8 brim, they run the gambit from around 2 1/4 to around 3 with many 2 7/8 showing up.
Both are Stetson designs with very simular dimensions, bound brim and an almost identical thin crown ribbon.
So...... not sure who cloned who..........other than the same design goes back a long way and came back out with two differant names by the same company, Stetson.
I like the design, no matter what it is called......;)
M:)
PS as Fruno says each was flanged very differently....

Last edited:
Open Roads while often given a "Rancher" (actually known by many names) crease all originally came open crown. This same style crease is often found on early 20th century fedoras and homburgs as well. I wear modified versions myself on many new and vintage hats........
The "Open Road" as we know it, seems to be a rename of a very old Stetson Model the "Kingston" which had all the same dimensions. Ads seem to indicate it came out (as the OR) sometime in the early to mid 1940's ......
The "Stratoliner" was first introduced around 1938-39 as an unlined thin ribbon fedora for $6.50. It too was sold open crown. The Strat does always seem to have a 2 1/2 inch brim, while generally the OR has a 2 5/8 brim, they run the gambit from around 2 1/4 to around 3 with many 2 7/8 showing up.
Both are Stetson designs with very simular dimensions, bound brim and an almost identical thin crown ribbon.
So...... not sure who cloned who..........other than the same design goes back a long way and came back out with two differant names by the same company, Stetson.

Heck, the OR I'm wearing today (a 25) has a 3 1/4" brim.

1e3c2f3dccf24b2619ee6e61ecbb4d2e.jpg

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking at possibly adding an Atwood Austin in palm leaf. The Austin is Atwood's nod to the straw Open Road. I've got a Hereford in palm and like it, but might want a more moderate brim for casual warmer weather wear. The crown of the Austin is 5". I'm thinking of flattening the brim more than it already is and working a modified Gus into the crown to bring the ratio of crown height in line with the brim. If the Gus doesn't look good, maybe a teardrop or diamond. Thoughts?

View attachment 114263
The Gus crease is always a good choice and I prefer a flatter brim as well. Look forward to seeing it when you're done.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
The Gus crease is always a good choice and I prefer a flatter brim as well. Look forward to seeing it when you're done.
I ended up going with a 4 3/4 crown, 3-1/2 inch brim. It comes with a modified Cattleman crown, which I think I can push out as necessary. I will have it early next week. I realize I prefer a slightly larger brim that the Open Roads offer, as I like the extra sun protection.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I definitely prefer the OR crease for this type of hat, as opposed to the Stratoliner clone (if I want a Strat, I'll get a Strat). There's something classy and appealing about the OR of it's own accord.

The OR came open crown and was not always advertised with a "Rancher" or "Cattlemen's" crease (see the 1948 ad above, shows a standard center crease with front pinches). This same crease was used for many western hats.....but as most westerns also came open crown, many, many, differant creases were used on them as for the OR as the owner desired. Even the Strats are shown in the ads creased in differant ways....
The "OR" crease ("Cattleman", "Rancher") really only became "standard" for the OR (and many a western hat) when they started factory creasing them.......
M

It should be remembered, that the OR was not introduced as just a western hat.....
Here is a copy of my 1950 ad.....it shows the (now) classic crease.
I must admit, I really like the Catteman crease in an OR.......it just looks classy on that hat. That said, I have a Dobbs clone with that classic crease; one clone (the Portis), shaped as found, a shallow basin with front pinches; a Stetson 3X with a telescope crown and an actual OR with a crease almost identical to the 1948 ad as above.....AND I love them all!;)
Best,
M
s-l1600 (46) (3).jpg

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
It should be remembered, that the OR was not introduced as just a western hat.....
Here is a copy of my 1950 ad.....it shows the (now) classic crease.
I must admit, I really like the Catteman crease in an OR.......it just looks classy on that hat. That said, I have clone with that classic crease, one clone (the Portis, shaped as found) a Stetson 3X with a telescope crown and an actual OR with a crease almost identical to the 1948 ad as above.....
Best,
M
View attachment 115209
The classic crease, with the brim snapped up, is, well.... classic!

I definitely prefer the OR crease for this type of hat, as opposed to the Stratoliner clone (if I want a Strat, I'll get a Strat). There's something classy and appealing about the OR of it's own accord.

Strats are different from ORs in more than the crease. That's an objective fact. To confuse/conflate the two is an error.

Here is a sort of OR clone I just got. It is an "Auctioneer" (not sure who made it) with all the look but only a 2 inch brim:eek: (Stetson actually made some labeled ORs much like this in the late 50's early 60's, 2 1/4 inch brims) . REALLY nice felt......the awesome liner is red:eek: and looks great, has National Auctioneers Association in the tip. It is however only a 7 3/8 LO so will be headed to the classifieds........hopefully for a good trade...:rolleyes:
Sure wish it fit..............as I like it a lot!
Best,
M
20180423_180534.jpg
20180423_180546.jpg
20180423_180451.jpg

Here is a sort of OR clone I just got. It is an "Auctioneer" (not sure who made it) with all the look but only a 2 inch brim:eek: (Stetson actually made some labeled ORs much like this in the late 50's early 60's, 2 1/4 inch brims) . REALLY nice felt......the awesome liner is red:eek: and looks great, has National Auctioneers Association in the tip. It is however only a 7 3/8 LO so will be headed to the classifieds........hopefully for a good trade...:rolleyes:
Sure wish it fit..............as I like it a lot!
Best,
M
View attachment 115720 View attachment 115722 View attachment 115723

The Auctioneer name sounds familiar (Resistol?). Not certain, though.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
802A0CA1-CD47-451E-A5C0-54160015CC5C.jpeg
B590BF58-F4D7-49AA-960E-E24A92D49A48.jpeg
55A38664-EDAF-4F5B-9D12-FCF511558E7F.jpeg
973CAC11-1292-40EB-973C-94749190E51C.jpeg
Greetings All:
Here’s an oddball i believe can be added to the list. It seems rather old as well. I’ve never heard of the maker so hopefully others might be able to enlighten as to age and maker.
A Willard Hat Company Buckskin.
Nicely made, nice liner, nice little OR Clone.
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner