Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
ImageAgentProxy

Word Mark DOBBS WEST
Goods and Services
(EXPIRED) IC 025. US 039. G & S: MEN'S, WOMEN'S AND CHILDREN'S HATS. FIRST USE: 19720301. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19720301
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 09.01.13 - Braids; Clotheslines; Rope; Shoe laces; String; Tightropes
18.13.01 - Horseshoes
27.03.05 - Objects forming letters or numerals
Serial Number 73079689
Filing Date March 10, 1976
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 1081799
Registration Date January 10, 1978
Owner (REGISTRANT) KORACORP INDUSTRIES INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 617 MISSION ST. SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA 94105

DD, I'll ask this of you since you have an extensive collection of them; are all the Byer-Rolnick/Resistol OR clones such as the Dalworth, Dallas, Ft. Worth, & San Antonio, etc & their other brands such as the Bradford line, made on the same block & have the same blocking number? What about those with the 3"+ brims like the Topeka, Montana, County Sheriff, etc?

Last edited:

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DD, I'll ask this of you since you have an extensive collection of them; are all the Byer-Rolnick/Resistol OR clones such as the Dalworth, Dallas, Ft. Worth, & San Antonio, etc & their other brands such as the Bradford line, made on the same block & have the same blocking number? What about those with the 3"+ brims like the Topeka, Montana, County Sheriff, etc?
Jack, they all seem to be different. Not all have the block numbers. The Dalworth, is almost Identical to the San Antonio, but a slightly fuller crown, although imperceptible to me. Also only 2 5/8 brim. The Ft. Worth has the least taper, while the County Sheriff has the most. Both 3" brims. The Plains is similar to the County Sheriff, with less taper. I haven't compared the Dobbs Open Trail, but looks the same as the San Antonio. I will have to check it's block number. Now if I can just find a Wide Country, Herdsman, Saddler, and Waco.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert dog

Forgot to mention, the Topeka and Montana have different blocks also. The Montana was part of the Roundup collection. I have also seen Dobbs Roundup Collection.
Jack, they all seem to be different. Not all have the block numbers. The Dalworth, is almost Identical to the San Antonio, but a slightly fuller crown, although imperceptible to me. Also only 2 5/8 brim. The Ft. Worth has the least taper, while the County Sheriff has the most. Both 3" brims. The Plains is similar to the County Sheriff, with less taper. I haven't compared the Dobbs Open Trail, but looks the same as the San Antonio. I will have to check it's block number. Now if I can just find a Wide Country, Herdsman, Saddler, and Waco.

Somewhere on here, perhaps in the Resistol Roundup, is a discussion comparing the block numbers of the Dalworth, San Antonio, etc. Perhaps search for posts by @rclark, I believe he was in the thick of it.

Desert dog

Somewhere on here, perhaps in the Resistol Roundup, is a discussion comparing the block numbers of the Dalworth, San Antonio, etc. Perhaps search for posts by @rclark, I believe he was in the thick of it.
Thank you, I appreciate all info on Resistols.

Forgot to mention, the Topeka and Montana have different blocks also. The Montana was part of the Roundup collection. I have also seen Dobbs Roundup Collection.

Thanks DD. I can usually see differences in crown height in pics online but not always. What is even harder to determine is if a crown looks wider or more rounded because of its individual crease or because of differences in the block used. Taper can be a big disappointment. And less noticible in the OR clones than it is in the 3"+ brims, I think.

Here is another Silverbelly. Low Crown so I bubbled it in back to fit my head. I like to play with hats.:) View attachment 126902
Nice hat, BUT NEEDS TO BE IN ANOTHER THREAD......it is NOT an Open Road clone....this thread is for Open Road style ( thin ribbon, matching bound edge brim) hats made by other companies than Stetson......
M;)
Here is an example made by Brent.
s-l1600 (51).jpg

Here is another "Auctioneer" I picked up.....custom made (liner)..still do not know who made these......could be Dobbs or Champ (I have seen others of these with a brand liner, just cannot remember which brand). This one apears to be early 60's. Felt is really nice and not at all stiff, and has a great feel. You can see how soft this hat is in picture 5, where the weight of the hat on the hat stand bumps out the crown.........Brim breaks easily and can be worn snapped in front or down all around (which does not look as bad as you would think). It is a nice silverbelly with great grey tones. Dimensions on this one are 5" open crown and 2 3/8" brim. Love the special red liner on these. It is in a soft "cattleman" crease, which with the low crown I cannot really make into anything else so will stay. Not sure it was worn much if at all......not a spot or stain anywhere...:)
M:)
20180714_075924.jpg
20180714_080348.jpg
20180714_080341.jpg
20180714_080411.jpg
20180714_080632.jpg
153157491601173773975.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members