Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Here's a Biltmore that only seems to be at Hatworks. There is also a straw model.
https://www.hatwrks.com/collections/biltmore/products/biltmore-bastille?variant=20026648071
I think they must be discontinuing the Bastille. It is hard to find and when you do they only have a few sizes. They also don't make it in a silverbelly. I do like the ribbon it gives it that old school look. I'm about to put a 1.25 silver satin ribbon on one of my siverbelly's. Found this tutoral in another thread.
http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html

chicken1616

New in Town
I think they must be discontinuing the Bastille. It is hard to find and when you do they only have a few sizes. They also don't make it in a silverbelly. I do like the ribbon it gives it that old school look. I'm about to put a 1.25 silver satin ribbon on one of my siverbelly's. Found this tutoral in another thread.
http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html
I am 90% sure I am putting a 1.5 navy Petersham ribbon on my silverbelly.

Open Road Clone Tutorial....

Open Road Clone no. 1
20180714_080348.jpg

An "Auctioneer" made by Dobbs or Champ

Open Road Clone no. 2
1531778258844177136084.jpg

Made by Brent . Believe it or not, this is actually a mid- grey and not at all as light as it photographed........

NOT an Open Road or clone
20180716_181759.jpg

Made by Selentino, one of my favorite hats actually!

An Actual Stetson Open Road
15317784181672048327251.jpg

All Stetson Open Roads after the mid 1940's had a THIN ribbon (and until the 70's had wind cords) and matching narrow bound brim. Came in differant colors, but "silverbelly" is the most common. Brim widths varied a lot among the "clones" and did even with those made by Stetson. MANY companies made their own version of these iconic hats (some omitted the wind cords, but many included this feature and in all ways were identical to the Stetson model).
M;)

Last edited:
Does this fit in here?

Malrov of Minneapolis.

5b48553472fa69fcb70bc28d19753ad6.jpg

841cdf92a2530ea2b1a240aea9d7278a.jpg

Before a bath...

3f37992aaf5df328c8f9974031d9f570.heic

8f26e0d2b343a4ef4e3c3440f12d012d.heic

c0054216fdf1587f3a493ede1ed1e0c9.heic

0aa0d704f0b1fa4988886592bac574d7.heic

cadce1395b1bb6787cbe621213b1c0d6.heic

d2e18fe10e5cd0906edbee7dfc7d133f.heic
WOW Bob......that be a good one! I am not sure I am familiar with that brand...... absolutely love how they sort of made a campaign bow......seems someone else posted one like that. Really sweet!
M
PS What is the crown hight and brim width on that one? It has nice proportions.....

Last edited:
Lots of cool details on the Malrov. I have never seen a size printed on the sweat bow. Really cool. I have seen a few float past on Ebay. I might have to snag one.
You and me both.....I will be looking for one now...Bob has a REALLY awesome hat there, and he did a nice job cleaning that one up...and you are right on with the bow having the size...really interesting feature.
M

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Stetson regards this straw to be an open road. No brim binding. I'm confused.
http://www.stetson.com/store/hats/straw/open-road-vented-2.html?color=toasted
Now I am confused too:eek::rolleyes:...........Who knows.......the one I posted is a current production hemp OR, someone else just bought a 10x Stetson straw OR that I thought had the brim binding as well. Then again this is not a Stetson thread, just hats like the classic OR.......hence thin ribbon, matching brim binding. The one you posted seems not to be carried anymore.........looking at the ribbon it does have the classic OR ribbon which is significantly different than the one on the hat you posted above, bigger dimensions too.....in a word it is much more like the classic OR than the one you posted. Sure is interesting that they bound the brim on the hemp but not the straw. ....I do know they bind all the brims of the different Strats, felt, hemp, real straw, PLASTIC "straw":eek: ......all of them........perhaps I am all wet and they never have bound the OR straws........won't be the first time I have been w w w wrong! ;):D:D:D:D:oops::oops::oops::oops::D:D:D:D:oops::rolleyes:......then again even your Stetson example DOES have the classic OR ribbon and dimensions that your first straw did not..........;)
Best,
M:)

Last edited:
Now I am confused too:eek::rolleyes:...........Who knows.......the one I posted is a current production hemp OR, someone else just bought a 10x Stetson straw OR that I thought had the brim binding as well. Then again this is not a Stetson thread, just hats like the classic OR.......hence thin ribbon, matching brim binding. The one you posted seems not to be carried anymore.........looking at the ribbon it does have the classic OR ribbon which is significantly differant than the one on the hat you posted above, bigger dimensions too.....in a word it is much more like the classic OR than the one you posted. Sure is interesting that they bound the brim on the hemp but not the straw. ....I do know they bind all the brims of the differant Strats, felt, hemp, straw......all of them........perhaps I am all wet and they never have bound the OR straws........won't be the first time I have been w w w wrong! ;):D:D:D:D:oops::oops::oops::oops::D:D:D:D:oops::rolleyes:......then again even your Stetson example DOES have the classic OR ribbon and dimentions that your first straw did not..........;)
Best,

I’m more inclined to think that Stetson forgot what an Open Road is and just slaps the name on whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Now I am confused too:eek::rolleyes:...........Who knows.......the one I posted is a current production hemp OR, someone else just bought a 10x Stetson straw OR that I thought had the brim binding as well. Then again this is not a Stetson thread, just hats like the classic OR.......hence thin ribbon, matching brim binding. The one you posted seems not to be carried anymore.........looking at the ribbon it does have the classic OR ribbon which is significantly different than the one on the hat you posted above, bigger dimensions too.....in a word it is much more like the classic OR than the one you posted. Sure is interesting that they bound the brim on the hemp but not the straw. ....I do know they bind all the brims of the different Strats, felt, hemp, real straw, PLASTIC "straw":eek: ......all of them........perhaps I am all wet and they never have bound the OR straws........won't be the first time I have been w w w wrong! ;):D:D:D:D:oops::oops::oops::oops::D:D:D:D:oops::rolleyes:......then again even your Stetson example DOES have the classic OR ribbon and dimensions that your first straw did not..........;)
Best,
The Sunbody site has an accessory page where you can modify any hat. They will add grosgrain bound edge for $8.25.
https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/16/accessories.cfm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21