Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
1960's Resistol San Antonio - Beaver "35". (Original stock tag): style San Ant, color Palomino, brim 2 5/8", price 35.00. Crown 5 1/2" open, (4 1/2 front 3 1/2 back as creased.) Dark brown sweatband with greek key edge design. White satin Byer-Rolnick liner. Satin ribbon hatband and brim binding are slightly contrasting light sage-tan color subtle yet striking in daylight. The felt is very nice, feels slightly thinner than my 5X KF fedora, super velvety finish like very fine suede, molds like clay with a damp towel. (Note how Palomino color is slightly lighter sage-pearl gray than Silver Belly Dalworth behind it.) Before and after:

Cheers from KC!

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Late 1940's - early 1950's (?) Resistol San Antonio Silver Belly, brim 2 3/4", crown 5 1/2" open, 4 1/4" as creased.
before: (note tan color compared to Silver Belly 3X and Palamino Beaver 35 in background)

after: Gave it my quick teardrop bash with a wet towel and wore it for yard work today to sweat it in:

TPD166, thanks to you for the smokin' deal on the "beater" grade vintage San Antonio.
Arrived quickly and as described: tons of character, well moth nibbled, original cattleman's crease with old fashioned front and rear dents. The felt has fine finish despite age and moth attacks, no grade marked, feels identical to my 3X vintage fedoras. The white silk Byer-Rolnick dress-hat liner and brown Melorol series sweatband are excellent and wind trolley is present and intact - definitely my oldest Resistol yet. -thanks again to lounger TPD166 for hooking me up with a vintage classic for the cost of postage! Cheers! KC

gdc

One of the Regulars
KC, you have some beautiful OR's. I'm also in Kansas City and will remember you if I run across any in your size. Please return the favor if you see any 7 1/2 hats.

You wear them well.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
thanks guys, they are great medium wide brim hats for all but the hottest days.
gdc, 7 - 7 1/8 LO for me please.
DougC, my Resistol Dalworth (lower left in photos) 3X Silverbelly in 7 1/8 is available. 2 3/4" brim crown 5 1/2" slightly roomier (slightly less taper) crown than San Antonio, excellent condition. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:

TPD166

One Too Many
If anyone is interested, I have listed a nice vintage Dobbs 5th Avenue Open Road/Stratoliner clone in the classifieds:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?65394-FS-FT-Dobbs-Open-Road-Strat-clone-7-3-8

dobbs1.jpg

TWJ

Familiar Face
Hey everyone, a new guy here. I've got a few open roads and a few in the style of open road. I do have a churchill. Were these a valuable hat? It used to be stiff and brand new-like, but it saw a unfortunate rain. It never did fit me right, 7 1/2, so it just sits around and I don't know much about it. Nice to look at though.
Good day, TWJ

Hey everyone, a new guy here. I've got a few open roads and a few in the style of open road. I do have a churchill. Were these a valuable hat? It used to be stiff and brand new-like, but it saw a unfortunate rain. It never did fit me right, 7 1/2, so it just sits around and I don't know much about it. Nice to look at though.
Good day, TWJ

Welcome to the Lounge.
Open Road style hats were/are considered more "country/casual/work" style as opposed to "city/dress" style like those with a wider ribbon.
Remember the OR style is directly related to the Stratoliner which first came out in very inexpensive models.
Although they did come in 20, 25, 50 & 100 models by some makers, they were considered "regular Joe/run of the mill" style hats.
When it is your only hat, I guess it is considered very valuable to that owner, though.

TWJ

Familiar Face
Thanks for the welcome and the information. Oh to be able to thumb through a catalog and order any good ol work hat. With good ol prices though of course.
25e76f25.jpg
[/IMG]

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Open Roads can be casual and workaday for the laborers of yesteryear, but my 7x clear beaver is going to be my dress Stetson, not for any beating, because it's clean and looks so elegant. My Open Road 25 is good for work situations, because it is also clean, has a gray tinge to it, and a shorter brim (2 5/8) than the 7x. My modern Open Road is a little sporty looking for formal wear, so it is casual. And my opinion about an Open Road clone that is great--the Borsalino Alessandria, a thin ribbon hat sold by Peters Brothers, has a little less of the country look with similar dimensions. Brim is 2 5/8, and crown is tapered, unlike the Stetsons, so it has a more modern look. I've always liked that one.

Buzp

New in Town
th_130.jpg

Here is a shot of the bow.

The model is L.B.J. The color is "cascade". It is not as bright or as clean as the photo indicates.
th_127.jpg

Last edited:
The List....

Adam Adamajestic
Adam LBJ Style R
Adam Lonestar
Adam Mainliner
Adam Tan Texas (64 L.B.J.K)
Adam Texan
Adam Texarkana
Adam Waco
Akubra Campdraft
Alexander 4x4
Bailey Beaver 20 ??
Beaver Brand River Runner
Biltmore Wilderness
Bonar-Phelps L.B.J.
Borsalino Alessandria
Bradford Ltd Kingston
Byron ???
Champ Ranger
Champ Texan
Churchill Beaver 35 ??
Courtney ?? ( for Harry Livingston)
Disney Ranger
Dobbs 20 ???
Dobbs Westward
Dobbs West Open Trail
Dunlap 20 ???
Kenworth Imperial ???
Knox 20 ???
Knox Westlite
LaSalle ???
Lee Corral (JCPenney Marathon, Towncraft, etc.)
Lee Trail
Mallory Dallas
Miller Douglas (Beaver Brand or Biltmore ?)
Park Crest Western
Penney Marathon
Peter Bros Shady Oak Bankers Special
Portis Sterling
Portis Pathfinder
Resistol Dalworth
Resistol Saddler
Resistol San Antonio
Resistol The Wide Country
Resistol Waco
Richman Bros Rambler
Schoble Mainliner
Shudde Bros ???
Society Club ???
Stephen L. Stetson Open Road
Stevens The President
Stevens ??? (Imperial & DeLuxe)
Tanbark 1546
Wormser 3X 10Star
Wormser Texan
Various Store brands (ie Richman Bros, et al)

Thanks Buzp....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24