Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pacific

barra063

Familiar Face
Can't wait for this one to come out and also to see locations I am familiar with.

Proposed release dates.

* Australia:
o The program is set to air on Channel Seven in 2009.

* United Kingdom:
o Sky Movies will air the series in the Spring of 2010.

* United States:
o According to Tom Hanks, HBO is aiming to show the series in March 2010.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Our domestic factory-farmed breed of TV exec, for all his media-savvy, is too dumb to come in out of the rain. I can hear him thinking (if you can call this "thinking"):
"Sweeps week? No audience. Nobody gives a $#!! about WW2 in the Pacific except a bunch of old crazy-ass Marines. Do we want them watching Public Television?! They'll just call up and demand we run repeats of R. Lee and Ollie North and show The DI every Nov. 10. F#¢!! 'em. We'll just run The Three Tenors and Celtic Fire six or seven more times." lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Our domestic factory-farmed breed of TV exec, for all his media-savvy, is too dumb to come in out of the rain. I can hear him thinking (if you can call this "thinking"):
"Sweeps week? No audience. Nobody gives a $#!! about WW2 in the Pacific except a bunch of old crazy-ass Marines.

And include my father, who fought in the Pacific with the 7th ID, one of the many Army divisions that served in that theater...

DannyBoy

New in Town
GranadaGuy617 said:
Now, lets see how many Marine / PTO and Japanese Reenacting Units Pop up in the wake of this production.
Yeah, read NONE for the Japanese units. It's so weird, tons of people do German, but no one wants to come out as Japanese. We thought that we'd get a boost from Flags of our Fathers, and Letters from Iwo Jima, but that didn't materialize either. At our PTO event last weekend (BTW where the heck were you Dylan?? [huh] ) we only had about 12 Japanese vs. 40-50 Marines, assorted Aussies, and 3 guys doing Army (also underrepresented - Army units in the PTO).

On a side note, there was a guy at the event selling the now surplus costumes from the movie. The stuff he had wasn't all that great material wise (and exorbitantly priced to boot), but maybe soon some more quality stuff from the movie will hit the market, 'cause original Japanese stuff is just too darn expensive.

Widebrim said:
And include my father, who fought in the Pacific with the 7th ID, one of the many Army divisions that served in that theater...
VERY Cool! Do you happen to know what regiment he was in? I had a friend up here who served in the 184th Infantry on Leyte and Okinawa, unfortunately though he passed away about two years ago.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well,

I wanted to go and I intend to go to the next one. Lol I'm afraid to say youd have to count me as Allied...my great uncle was in the Marines. ---LOL if you ask a certain Sgt in the Marine unit..whom we both know *regrettably* There WERE NO ARMY UNITS IN THE PTO ---EVER!!! 2nd ID is going to make the Americal Divison our official PTO Impression. Besides, I'd prefer not to mince words with the farbs.

DannyBoy said:
Yeah, read NONE for the Japanese units. It's so weird, tons of people do German, but no one wants to come out as Japanese. We thought that we'd get a boost from Flags of our Fathers, and Letters from Iwo Jima, but that didn't materialize either. At our PTO event last weekend (BTW where the heck were you Dylan?? [huh] ) we only had about 12 Japanese vs. 40-50 Marines, assorted Aussies, and 3 guys doing Army (also underrepresented - Army units in the PTO).

On a side note, there was a guy at the event selling the now surplus costumes from the movie. The stuff he had wasn't all that great material wise (and exorbitantly priced to boot), but maybe soon some more quality stuff from the movie will hit the market, 'cause original Japanese stuff is just too darn expensive.

Davep

One of the Regulars
There is lots of information regarding the HBO mini-series Pacific. Amazon.com also already has the DVD set up for sell, once it's released.

Danny you're right very few units do the PTO Battles, it's mainly the 442nd, 101st, with two or three guys 2nd Armor, 9thID and 1stID and the 82nd Airborne from the RPS, and the Aussies from the 12thSS and 21st panzers. The rest of the CHG sticks with the standard fare of ETO tactical battles.

Here is a ton of information pictures and video on the HBO Pacific
http://442ndrct.createforum.com/wwii-movies-and-television-f17/pacific-war-mission-hbo-t52.html

Here is the guys that came out and did a Marine Impression, plus a few guys doing an Army Impression.

PTOgrouppic.jpg

p51

One Too Many
GranadaGuy617 said:
Now, lets see how many Marine / PTO and Japanese Reenacting Units Pop up in the wake of this production.
At the risk of sounding crass, I can't imagine this being a springboard to anything. The bottom line here is that the focus on WW2 has generally always been the ETO. You can attribute it to many reasons (far more correspondents in the ETO, distances between battles, people not being able to relate to the Pacific like they could europe from the last war, etc), but that's just how it is. "Thin Red Line" and "Windtalkers" did next to nothing to expand the re-enactor base. Yes, neither was a "Private Ryan" for the PTO, but I think it was put best by a friend of mine recently:
"Yeah, but who's gonna be the Japanese? If someone doesn't want to be a GI, they want to be German!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy