Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pen

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Subvet642 said:
What ink are you using? Sometimes, a thick ink, like Private Reserve, may not flow well. Or, maybe the feed has a tiny bit of release agent from the manufacturing process on it; this could cause it to hesitate. Try flushing it out with a very mild solution of white ammonia, and then water. DO NOT use scented ammonia. Likewise, you could try thiner inks like MB, it has a mild solvent to help it flow in those super tight MB feeds. BTW, you're right about Conklin nibs, they are so sweet!
Thanks very much, I have tried all that. It's just this one pen. It hates me, which is sad because I am quite fond of it. [huh]

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Tell her that you will never let her have any other colors of ink but one.....that should scare any female into cooperating....we like colors and choices.

Either that....or maybe you just need to buy some pink ink.

;)
We've talked it over and we're going to seek counseling!
She's jealous of other pens and says I have a problem with commitment. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
At present I have seven fountain pens, most of which I use on a regular basis:

1] Stainless steel, modern Waterman - lovely pen. the boss was given this years ago as part of a set (with a rollerball) at a conference - he doesm't use fountains, so passed itg on to me. I'm not sure where it is at the minute - in my flat somewhere. bah. Great pen. Cartridges or adaptor. Increasingly, I prefer adaptors if they are available.

2] Harley Davidson branded pen - a present form my dad a few years ago. I think this may be one of those pens that Waterman made for Harley, with only the Harley brand on it? Lovely pen to write with - nice and chunky. Cartiridge pen - uses those little inch and a quarter long universal cartridges just great.

3] Four fake Mont Blancs I bought in various Beijing markets. Nice things to write with, great size and heft. Hopefully I'll manage to find adaptors for all of them so I can use bottle ink (I think they all came with them, but again.... somewhere in my flat...).

4] Waterman Phileas - the Green Marble finish. I purchased this one on recommendation from Daisy Buchanan here on the FL, and it really is a fantastic pen. Writes beautifully - actually, probably the best writer of all of mine. In order to make this pen perfect, all it would need to be would be metal-bodied (in place of the plastic), a vacuum-filler (as opposed to cartridge or adaptor), and possibly just a touch larger all over. If I could find that pen affordably, I'd buy a dozen (two each for brown, blue, black, turquoise, red and green inks) and never feel the need for another pen again!

I do keep a cheap biro handy for things like addressing envelopes (lest they get wet and the ink run in the mail); if I found the perfect model of fountain pen for me I'd then spend the money on a few matching ballpoints and pencils.

Canadave

One Too Many
Edward said:
...(two each for brown, blue, black, turquoise, red and green inks) and never feel the need for another pen again!

I do keep a cheap biro handy for things like addressing envelopes (lest they get wet and the ink run in the mail); if I found the perfect model of fountain pen for me I'd then spend the money on a few matching ballpoints and pencils.

When do you use the different colours?

Re: biro. Not a disposable, right? :(

David

Edward

Bartender
Canadave said:

I like having the option. Very little of what I handwrite nowadays is for anyone other than myself to see (between email, and all office communications being now typed, whether soft of hard copy), so it's only really me I have to please that way. My handwriting looks better in blue shades than in black, but sometimes I like to have the option of both, as well as the others. When I write notes to myself I have a whole coding system of colours that qould proably make no sense to anyone else, but it allows me to decipherf things at a glance. [huh]

David

Not by preference, though in the office it often is as that is what is supplied in the stationary cupboard.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edward said:
4] Waterman Phileas - the Green Marble finish. I purchased this one on recommendation from Daisy Buchanan here on the FL, and it really is a fantastic pen. Writes beautifully - actually, probably the best writer of all of mine...
An outstanding pen for the money. I keep one in my bag at all times. Daisy is very good at identifying things like this. She hasn't posted much lately, but we may be seeing her once again, soon.

The old trick! Keeps FP inks from washing away!

Edward said:
I do keep a cheap biro handy for things like addressing envelopes (lest they get wet and the ink run in the mail.

Here is the old trick: go buy a plain white candle. After addressing the envelope and the ink has dried, you can rub the candle over the writing. The wax seals in the ink and makes it waterproof. :p

There is a neat product called MicroGlaze that comes in a jar and is used for the same purpose or to seal pen and ink artwork. I use it occasionally and like it. Their website is listed as www.skycraft.com to see the stuff. You can rub the applied wax with a cloth or paper towel after to polish it.:eusa_clap

AND
If you happen to see any Noodler's brand ink available out your way ask about the Bulletproof or Eternal inks. They have a chemistry that once dry, can't be washed away. Good for writing checks.:eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
Here is the old trick: go buy a plain white candle. After addressing the envelope and the ink has dried, you can rub the candle over the writing. The wax seals in the ink and makes it waterproof. :p

There is a neat product called MicroGlaze that comes in a jar and is used for the same purpose or to seal pen and ink artwork. I use it occasionally and like it. Their website is listed as www.skycraft.com to see the stuff. You can rub the applied wax with a cloth or paper towel after to polish it.:eusa_clap

AND
If you happen to see any Noodler's brand ink available out your way ask about the Bulletproof or Eternal inks. They have a chemistry that once dry, can't be washed away. Good for writing checks.:eusa_doh:

Thanks, John - I'll check those out. I hate using a Biro if there's another option! :)

Lou

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
In my typical routine, I don't get much chance to use anything other than black and a limited range of blue. Most of my ink adventurism happens via letters (fountain pen penpals are a great opportunity for this) and greeting cards. When I was a teacher, grading papers was another opportunity.

Writing everyday I enjoy usiing my Pelikan 800 rollerball,not a bad pen but refills are 8.00 each and do not last long.I have found an alternative the pilot G refill cheapo but they are great.Montblanc`s,Parker 51 (great fountain pen) Scheaffer snorkel,Parker duofolds.I switch pens when the spirit moves me.

Right now, I am in the midst of a job search and nearly everyday address and sign cover letters and address envelopes. I actually have about 17 different fountain pens inked and cycle thru them over a few days time. I do a few envelopes or letters and move on to the next pen.

I like doing this to get the different writing feel as I change pens. And every so many weeks I flush out some and select a few others from the collection so there is always change going on and try to use all pens yearly, except those few set aside pens.

Maybe it is a little obsessive but i enjoy it.

DerMann

Practically Family
Canadave said:

David
I use a different pen with a different ink every day.

Also, I would suggest any of Noodler's bulletproof line. Completely waterproof and come in a wide range of colours - from red to violet.

Edward

Bartender
DeaconKC said:
Edward, the Harley pens are Waterman's and use the standard converters.

Great, I'll have to pick one of those up forf mine, then. :) Cartridges are handy enough, but they do make me feel very guilty about the amount of plastic I throw out as a result. It seems to me that bottled ink also works out considerably cheaper.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Edward, if you get a syringe for refilling printer cartridges you can also refill the cartridges using that and whatever bottled ink you choose.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I use a fountain pen when wearing a shirt with a pocket... I carry a Waterman Rollerball if wearing a polo shirt etc with no pocket.

For most days I carry the Pelikan 800 Fountain pen. Nice size, easy to use, and it has the double wide oblique tip.
Pens-vi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran