Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pen

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm curious, how many of you use a nice one, and how many of you use a generic store brand? I've always liked a nice pen, but I could never bring myself to spend too much money on one. I find deals, or only buy one or two that are inexpensive. How about you all: a plastic Pilot or something a bit more snazzy?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I use fountain pens, some cheap and some not, some old and some new. I often carry a black, rubber Pen and Ink Sketch pen with me (cartridge or vaccum filler), but sometimes willl use a plastic cartridge model that I bought at the 99 cents store (writes well). Esterbrook is my pen of choice, although Sheaffer Snorkel attached to a black, glass base by a chain adorns my desk in my classroom. I have a used Mont Blanc, which was a gift, but have yet to use it. All my 3rd graders use 99 cent Sheaffer cartridge models, plastic barrels with metal tops.

D

DeaconKC

I am a sucker for old Sheaffer fountain pens [got 3 being restored right now] and carry a modern FP daily at work. As I've gotten older I appreciate the better quality of these pens.

DerMann

Practically Family
I have one or two pens I like to use...

pencollectionlownq0zo5.jpg

Can't stand ballpoints now. If I need to make carbon copies, I just use my "51".

freebird

Practically Family
I've got 4 fountain pens, most are vintage, one of them, a Hero 616, was a gift.The one I find myself using the most is a Parker 51 Vacumatic demi.

poetman

A-List Customer
DerMann said:
I have one or two pens I like to use...

pencollectionlownq0zo5.jpg

Can't stand ballpoints now. If I need to make carbon copies, I just use my "51".

Are those all fountain pens?

I have two fountain pens I like, but I like rollerballs also. Sometimes they flow smoother for me.

DerMann

Practically Family
The two that looks like smaller versions of the pens are mechanical pencils.

Roller balls are nice, but you can't beat the smoothness of a good Triumph nib, let alone the versatility of fountain pen inks.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I have a few dozen FP. My fav is the Parker 51 with a medium nib.

51afadsect.jpg

parker.51.adpic.jpg

http://www.vintagepens.com/parker_51.shtml

My everyday carry is a blue marble Cross Roadster Rollerball that I fill with brilliant blue fountain pen ink. (it uses the Cross Ion refill- I remove the gel ink and use the FP ink) Here is a pic of the Red Marble version:

roadster_open.jpg

Red Roadster review:
http://www.diyplanner.com/node/5936

Best looking would be my Conklin Oversize Endura.

conklin1uc.jpg

Here's an old post on a similar subject:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3643&highlight=endura

moustache

Practically Family
I use fountain pens almost exclusively with a few rollerballs thrown in.Almost all are italian made being Omas,Stipuls,Visconti,Conway Stewart and Sheaffer.
My prize grail pen is my Omas Arco Milord.
Jim

norton

One of the Regulars
I use parker jotter ballpoints with fisher space pen refills. Not only are they somewhat retro, they're the height of pen technology.

DerMann

Practically Family
norton said:
I use parker jotter ballpoints with fisher space pen refills. Not only are they somewhat retro, they're the height of pen technology.
Tell that to my Sheaffer Snorkel(s) ;)

ed_bollix

New in Town
Fountain Pens

I use several different fountain pens as well as a variety of ink in my daily routine. My everyday pens are the Parker 51, Esterbrook J and a Hero 100 that lives on my desk for others to use. I actually discovered The Fountain Pen Network here and spend a lot of time and money over there! I favor blue ink but that is a whole other discussion.

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Believe it or not my boyfriend wears a different vintage fountain pen to match his suit everyday at work. I find that rollerballs work for busy note taking, but nothing like a fountain pen for writing notes and letters. It makes you slow down a bit.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
I use vintage fountain pens every day. Mostly Waterman, Parker and Conklins. I prefer an ultra flexible fine nib. Besides being great for writing, they are wonderful for sketching and drawing.

poetman

A-List Customer
Craig Robertson said:
I use vintage fountain pens every day. Mostly Waterman, Parker and Conklins. I prefer an ultra flexible fine nib. Besides being great for writing, they are wonderful for sketching and drawing.

Why a flexible nib? I tried a Parker sonnet once, and I felt like it made my writing more sloppy.

freebird

Practically Family
I've been searching for a book on penmanship and found this on google books. I figured someone else might enjoy it as well. It's an 1873 book on penmanship. I've always thought they wrote much better than we do today.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
norton said:
Yeah, but can you use it upside down under water in space?;)

When I'm upside down under water in outer space...writing a note with a fountain pen is usually the last thing on my mind.

However, if you want to see someone who has taken fountain pens to the limit, check out the website of my friend Pier Gustafson:
http://piergustafson.com/

He also has a collection of vintage fountain pens that is, to say the least, mind boggling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran