Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pendulum is Swinging Our Way

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I read somewhere that the makeup used by most women in the 40's were much different than today. RED lips, accentuation of the eyes, eye brows...highlights on the cheekbones...heck, I 'm no expert.
But the hair styles, makeup, and the dress, to include the lines on the back of the stockings.......wowoowwowow

I hope it is really coming back. People need to dress acceptably, and take pride in themselves.

I wonder why, and is it just the free love 60's where we lost the "Pat Boone" clean cut image of the 50's, and the classic look of the 40's out of plain social rebellion?

How could the pendulum swing so far to the left? What market forces changed the offerings of the personal care industry, make up, and the like?

Did men's suits also tank along with hats?

Lets hope we are improving. I just read that "The Lawrence Welk" show is the longest running and/or most popular regular show on PBS. Ever watch it? It is so clean cut it amazes me.

Side bar: my 12 yr old boy could care less how he looks. It aggrivates me, and I tell him again and again that "first impressions' and the like matter.

Originally posted by Andykev
I hope it is really coming back. People need to dress acceptably, and take pride in themselves.

Yeah, tell me about it. I go to church this morning and people go there dressed like they are going to work in the garden! People do need to dress appropriately for certain situations. Everywhere I go dressed well I feel out of place because there are so many slobs trudging along. People look at you like they should know you. "Now which TV show have I seen him on before?" "Is he someone famous?" The worst is: "You look like a mobster." My answer is yeah be very afraid. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
"The Pendulum is Swinging Our Way"... and I hope it sticks our way for good.

What bothers me the most about the 60's and 70's is that there was the movement to distroy all the values of the 30's and 40's... I have to say that thanks to us those values are coming back.

Yes, I do give us credit. IndyGear, The Fedora Lounge, Retro Radar... all have a part in keeping these values and styles alive. If I forgot anyone, please let me know.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's hard to say, but...

I'm not sure that the internet chat sites are helping. They are nice for people who already believe in the nostalgia stuff. But I more suspect the marketing folks change the styles just like the auto makers...so you'll want the new and toss the old.

My complaint is the styles are so sloppy, and ..well like the young men who wear the oversized pants that sag off your butt and the crotch is long enough to almost be down to the knees. BB Hats on sideways, and what is a shirt with a collar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael