Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Penney's Marathon

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Extra Quality:
20231018_125641.jpg
20231018_125654.jpg
20231018_125748.jpg
20231017_151528.jpg
20231017_151545.jpg
20231017_151624.jpg

Crown5-1/4" (open)
Brim2-7/8" with 3/16" binding symmetric
Ribbon13/16"
Weight108g

Weird proportions with a lot of flange, so I haven't quite figured out how to style it yet. But the ribbon is cool!

gilligan

One of the Regulars
These are pics of my first vintage hat, a 1940s JC Penny's Marathon that I purchased over 8 years ago on eBay. Not knowing anything about hats, I picked this up for less than 50.00 because I really liked the way it looked, and you could still get them fairly inexpensive. At first, I would wear it on and off for a couple of years and then I just kind of hung it on the wall. As I started becoming more knowledgeable about old hats, I took a second look at this hat and realized that out of all my hats that I would get rid of over time, I couldn't bear to get rid of this one. In a nutshell, I have always loved this hat. To me, the Penny Marathons fit me like a glove, and they made some of the most comfortable hats. Maybe it's my head, but I own two vintage Marathons and they are so comfortable. Not sure of the year on this, but I'm thinking maybe mid 40's. I've seen other ones on here but this one seems to be of an earlier age. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The hat is actually a green color
20231213_181554.jpg
20231213_181616.jpg
20231213_181631.jpg
20231213_181642.jpg
20231213_181738.jpg
he
20231213_181709.jpg

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Extra Quality:
View attachment 553096 View attachment 553097 View attachment 553098 View attachment 553099 View attachment 553100 View attachment 553101

Crown5-1/4" (open)
Brim2-7/8" with 3/16" binding symmetric
Ribbon13/16"
Weight108g

Weird proportions with a lot of flange, so I haven't quite figured out how to style it yet. But the ribbon is cool!
Wow, beautiful!!! By the looks, yours would be around the same time period as mine. What year do you think yours would be? Early to mid 40's? The only difference between the two other than the color is yours says extra quality on the sweat band and mine says superior quality on the sweat.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Wow, beautiful!!! By the looks, yours would be around the same time period as mine. What year do you think yours would be? Early to mid 40's? The only difference between the two other than the color is yours says extra quality on the sweat band and mine says superior quality on the sweat.
I'm not sure, really. Without something like an OPA tag or an actual date stamped on the sweatband nailing down a timeframe less than a decade is sort of difficult. There's less info known about Marathon hats and how to date them as opposed to say Stetson.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Last week I bought this 1950s Penny's Marathon off of the internet for 24.00. The lady had it listed as just a "brown hat". I figured for 24.00, how could I go wrong and when I received it, I was really surprised how nice it was. My question is, and I hope some
JC Pennys Marathon pic 4.jpg
JC Pennys Marathon pic 3.jpg
JC Pennys Marathon pic 2.jpg
JC Pennys Marathon pic 1.jpg
one can clear some light on this. I have other JC Penny Marathons that I absolutely love, but they all have the bound edge. This one has the mode edge (I hope I'm calling this right). Does anyone know when they would have used this edge? I'm assuming from the liner, that this is a 1950's model.

Last week I bought this 1950s Penny's Marathon off of the internet for 24.00. The lady had it listed as just a "brown hat". I figured for 24.00, how could I go wrong and when I received it, I was really surprised how nice it was. My question is, and I hope some View attachment 571517 View attachment 571518 View attachment 571519 View attachment 571520 one can clear some light on this. I have other JC Penny Marathons that I absolutely love, but they all have the bound edge. This one has the mode edge (I hope I'm calling this right). Does anyone know when they would have used this edge? I'm assuming from the liner, that this is a 1950's model.

Well, the photo of the brim is out of focus, but that doesn't look like a felted edge to me. It wouldn't be a Mode edge, as that's a Stetson feature.

The Cavanagh edge, Guild Edge, and Mode Edge are different proprietary names for similar features.

Also, please don't start a new thread every time you get a hat. The Marathon thread is here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-penneys-marathon.1679/page-15

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Just picked this up online for 24.00 and the seller listed it as just a " brown hat ". One thing I noticed on this Marathon over others that I have is that it has the felted edge. I was corrected on this by an earlier post as I mistakenly called it a mode edge. Does anyone have any info as to when Marathon used the felted edge over the bound edge? I'm thinking this is a 1950's model.
JC Pennys Marathon pic 4.jpg
JC Pennys Marathon pic 3.jpg
JC Pennys Marathon pic 2.jpg
JC Pennys Marathon pic 1.jpg

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Well, the photo of the brim is out of focus, but that doesn't look like a felted edge to me. It wouldn't be a Mode edge, as that's a Stetson feature.

The Cavanagh edge, Guild Edge, and Mode Edge are different proprietary names for similar features.

Also, please don't start a new thread every time you get a hat. The Marathon thread is here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-penneys-marathon.1679/page-15
As we speak, the photos in the Marathon thread now. As far as the brim goes, the pics are such that they aren't out of focus and they clearly show a three line stitching and definitely a felted edge. Every Marathon I've seen has binding on the edge.

Just picked this up online for 24.00 and the seller listed it as just a " brown hat ". One thing I noticed on this Marathon over others that I have is that it has the felted edge. I was corrected on this by an earlier post as I mistakenly called it a mode edge. Does anyone have any info as to when Marathon used the felted edge over the bound edge? I'm thinking this is a 1950's model. View attachment 571570 View attachment 571571 View attachment 571572 View attachment 571573
Yes, 1950's. It is a stitched over-welt. It is not felted. It IS one of my favorite brim treatments when stitched with multiple rows like that.
Here is my Marathon with the same edge here:
1702933180954.png
1702933205690.png

Nice get!

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Yes, 1950's. It is a stitched over-welt. It is not felted. It IS one of my favorite brim treatments when stitched with multiple rows like that.
Here is my Marathon with the same edge here:
View attachment 571578 View attachment 571579
Nice get!
Wow!!! Very nice, exact same one indeed. Thank you so much for the info. That's fantastic to know. Many thanks indeed.

As we speak, the photos in the Marathon thread now. As far as the brim goes, the pics are such that they aren't out of focus and they clearly show a three line stitching and definitely a felted edge. Every Marathon I've seen has binding on the edge.

Looks like a nicely done overwelt brim edge with three rows of stitching. It’s not at all uncommon, and very different from a felted or Cavanagh edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner