Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Desk.

I am hoping to re-do my home office in the not too distant future and would like to have a nice vintage feel.

When looking on Ebay there is a type of desk I have seen described as "Librarian" or "Teacher's Desk" which is usually a big desk and has the front "skirt" that comes down in the front, These often come in oak and some have wooden handles. I think they are classic.

I'd like to get some nice desk accessories that are classy and Levenger's has a line called Morgan that's pretty close. (Also note that Levengers has added outside brands of fountain pens to their line up again!) I'd like a Western Electric 202 phone on that desk too.

Do you like a side desk or credenza for extra storage? Filing cabinets?

Hatsquad

New in Town
Derby desk, from Boston

th_013-1.jpg

I brought this back from Boston this year, made around 1902.

th_004-1.jpg

th_014-1.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi John,

A few things you might consider for your desk...

- A black, rotary telephone (I see you already have that marked).
- A rocker-blotter and blotting-paper.
- An inkwell or double-well inkstand w/pen rest (either, or, not both).
- Billspike (You could probably make your own).
- Desk-blotter and blotting-paper.
- Nibs, pen-shafts, pencils, pencil-sharpener.
- Small, vintage radio.
- Green glass-shade banker's lamp.
- Desktop typewriter.
- Pen chest (for fountain pens).
- Mechanical desk-clock.

Inkwell/stands and rocker-blotters are easy to buy. You could easily make your own billspike out of a piece of wood and a long nail. Desk-blotters can be bought at antiques stores or online. Nibs & pen-shafts can be found online, at flea-markets or in arts & crafts shops (along with the blotting-paper).

Any good lighting store ought to have a nice, vintage-style banker's lamp.

Typewriters I'm not sure...eBay, maybe?

Or if not a small vintage radio, maybe one of those big, whopping console radios? Sit it next your desk and put books on top of it.

Some pen-companies sell pen-chests, Visconti comes to mind here. Although it is easy to make your own, using an old cigar box.

A nice, mechanical clock can be found in clock-shops, watchmaker's shops, antiques stores...I would personally go for a carriage-clock.

Also, you're not thinking of these, are you?

Partners%20desk%201.jpg

Variously called Pedestal Desks (if they're not as big), or Partner's Desks (which are big enough for two men to use at once, hence the name). Gee I wish I had a leather-topped writing desk.

I wish I had a nice bureau similar to this one:

engelsesecretaire.jpg

It would encourage me to keep it clean.

Shangas said:
Hi John,

A few things you might consider for your desk...

- A black, rotary telephone (I see you already have that marked).
- A rocker-blotter and blotting-paper.
- An inkwell or double-well inkstand w/pen rest (either, or, not both).
- Billspike (You could probably make your own).
- Desk-blotter and blotting-paper.
- Nibs, pen-shafts, pencils, pencil-sharpener.
- Small, vintage radio.
- Green glass-shade banker's lamp.
- Desktop typewriter.
- Pen chest (for fountain pens).
- Mechanical desk-clock.

Also, you're not thinking of these, are you?

Partners%20desk%201.jpg

Variously called Pedestal Desks (if they're not as big), or Partner's Desks (which are big enough for two men to use at once, hence the name). Gee I wish I had a leather-topped writing desk.

I wish I had a nice bureau similar to this one:

engelsesecretaire.jpg

It would encourage me to keep it clean.

A typewriter would be classic. Ecept for the phone I have it or know what I
want from that great list of desk accessories.

THe pedestal desk is nice but I like when the front (facing the customer!) is closed style of desk.

THe bureau is perfect for the check book and writing bills.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I am hoping to re-do my home office in the not too distant future and would like to have a nice vintage feel.

When looking on Ebay there is a type of desk I have seen described as "Librarian" or "Teacher's Desk" which is usually a big desk and has the front "skirt" that comes down in the front, These often come in oak and some have wooden handles. I think they are classic.

I'd like to get some nice desk accessories that are classy and Levenger's has a line called Morgan that's pretty close. (Also note that Levengers has added outside brands of fountain pens to their line up again!) I'd like a Western Electric 202 phone on that desk too.

Do you like a side desk or credenza for extra storage? Filing cabinets?
John, the "skirt" you refer to was often called a modesty panel during the time those oak desks were popular. The Teachers or Librarian desks generally had a flat top. The same desk was often used in office settings, but on earlier models, the top raised up and the typewriter was pulled up (sort of like the method for sewing machines in a cabinet). Later, the desk looked the same, but a side door was opened and the typewriter pulled up and locked in place. That style of desk was in use a long time and I can attest to the fact that the US Army still used them in the early 50's as I used one.

Not sure exactly when they came into being, but I would guess some time in the 20's, or perhaps more likely, the early 30's.

Bill Taylor

Bill Taylor said:
Later, the desk looked the same, but a side door was opened and the typewriter pulled up and locked in place. That style of desk was in use a long time and I can attest to the fact that the US Army still used them in the early 50's as I used one. Bill Taylor

I have worked at a number of places when I was a youngster with desks that built in swing out and up typerwriter "stand."

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
My desk(from the 50's) has one of those swing out stands. I love it to death... moving around my 1939 Remington Desktop was a pain!

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
One, or better the favorite desk, of me is the one from Henry van de Velde in Weimar. It's from the early 20th century. What makes it special is the form of it. It bends nicely around the one infront of it, therefore you do not need not to turn or wrench yourself to reach the drawers and things in it. Besides, it is big and you can't have enough space on a desk ;)

Sorry, but I only found a small picture of it in the net. The real desk is in the Bauhaus museum in Weimar, so if someone wants to see it, its just across of the theater and the statue of Ghoethe and Schiller.
velde_234_w.jpg

Edit: some other pic of one:
Rene-GabrielOjeda%2BPhotographOf+WorksByPierreBonnardAndHenryVanDeVelde%2B1987%2B-MuseeD%27Orsay-Paris.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It sounds like a rolltop isn't what you're looking for, and I suppose if you're not Prince Charles, you've neither the budget nor the space for the Weimar desk posted earlier today. IMHO, credenzas and side tables just seem to attract clutter. I think two drawer file cabinets are a better choice. You take a few minutes every day or once a week to put things away and you're done with it.

Check out Stickley for some ideas. Then see what you can find that's similar. If you like Mission & Craftsman style, you've got it made because there loads of shops in Southern California. American Bungalow has loads of ads.

A cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, but an empty desk is a sign of an empty mind.

My desk at home or work tends to be cluttered, and gets regular clean ups. At work I tend to have several project going at one time and need working spaces that are to handlle different tasks. There I'll often have a L set up or a desk behind or even a U set up.

Home is only a little bit different, I still need a place to work on the computer and also be able to do copy work / editing work with printed materials and the computer. While I understand organization - I like to have "a place for everything and everything in it's place" I find it difficult to keep in practice.

It will come together at some point.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I got this desk on Ebay about a year ago. It now has MUCH more stuff on it. It dates from just about 1950. I debated getting one of those nice looking contemporary units, but they're all particle board with either real or phoney veneers. One little chip and they look like crap. This is real solid wood.
Newdesk1.jpg

The particle board and veneer comment is so true. I was trimming some paper with an exacto knife some years back and pierced the veneer top. :eusa_doh:

It's where I rest my arm and the sweat from my arm in the hot weather has penetrated the veneer so the slices have opened up looking like a bad accident at the lab using powerful acids.:eek:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
This is not the most favorable photo, but you can get a gist of my desk (and wooden rolling chair) here:
414127849_567a3daeb4_o.jpg

The door on the left opens to storage, and a metal, spring-loaded shelf. There are three drawers on the right, as well as a pull-out plank above them, for added workspace. My husband found both the desk and the chair (at different times) on his route when he was a letter carrier, just left out for the garbage men, if you can believe it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo