Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect hat

hulkamad

Familiar Face
Be gentle

Hi citRon,
I guess my opinion differs from others, I like you in the shorter brim best. [huh] (That is not to say the wider brim looks crummy, it certainly does not!)

Maybe I think that because of the brown shirt that matches the shade of hat too. Also, you are smiling more in the shorter brim hat! A smile makes everything look better! Always be happy to be rockin' whatever headgear you have on, and the rest is easy-there won't be a doubt in anyone's mind.:)

The first pic of you in the wider brim hat looks like you were just told that dinner would consist of beet and turnip soup. (Clearly nothing to get excited about.) It looks a lot better with you holding your daughter with a proud Dad look on your face. :eusa_clap

hulkamad

Familiar Face
Okies

Hi Jabos!

Always nice to see another fellow Okie!
Yeah, the Brothers Hatshop is definitely worth the visit next time you're in town. Very nice.

Also, if you ever find yourself near the University of Tulsa, there are a few vintage clothing stores near there that sometimes have a few hats. I happened to pay a visit to one or two of them today, looking for a hat, but they had none in my size (maybe next time!).

The ones that were juuuust too big or juuuuust too small were what you'd call "fixer-upers," that is, if you are in to hat projects, they'd require some sort of repair followed by some tender loving care. They'd be quite a find for the person with the right-sized knoggin' and the will to put some time into 'em.

PoohBang

Suspended
Finding the almost perfect hat...almost.

so I thought I finally found the perfect hat... A lovely royal deluxe Stetson...
taupe color, black band... bow in back... tear drop early 50's shape... lovely hat... the one I've been looking for...

then I find of all things it's too big! I wear a 7 3/8 and it's too big! And not just like it's a 7 1/2 but more like it's a 7 5/8! I've been disappointed many times with hats too small, but big?

Anyone else have this happen to?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Sure I see lots of hats I'd love to have that are too big. But no matter, there are good ones to be had in all sizes. With patience you'll surely find just what you're looking for in time. ;)

Franky

New in Town
Help Required: Looking for the perfect hat

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so I just wanted to say hi before I start.

After spending some considerable amount of time debating I have finally put in an order for an Irvin Jacket from Aero Leather. Looking forward to getting that before the weather warms up to much in Dreary Norfolk.

I was after some advice about what sort of hat you would wear with this jacket. It's mostly going to be used for walking the dog and trundling about on the motorbike......

Any help would be greatly received.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Guys,

After spending some considerable amount of time debating I have finally put in an order for an Irvin Jacket from Aero Leather. Looking forward to getting that before the weather warms up to much in Dreary Norfolk.

I was after some advice about what sort of hat you would wear with this jacket. It's mostly going to be used for walking the dog and trundling about on the motorbike......

Maybe look at currently retailed Akubra and Stetson dress hats ("dress hats" is a distinct category of their offerings, as opposed to more casual outdoor or hiking type hats). They combine dressy and rugged to the degree you may want with a leather jacket. Daring for your country would be a vintage Stetson Open Road model hat that you could get on E Bay (there are many similar models of the era by different makers as well), because it has a wider brim, but they look good and you might like the way it looks on you.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Franky, if your jacket is one with the sheepskin collar, etc., I'd say (based on my taste alone) that an Open Road or a similar model would be the perfect hat for that. The sheepskin collar gives the jacket a rugged "Western" look that to me wouldn't work with a dressier (i.e., wider ribbon) fedora. Just my view.

danofarlington

Franky, if your jacket is one with the sheepskin collar, etc., I'd say (based on my taste alone) that an Open Road or a similar model would be the perfect hat for that. The sheepskin collar gives the jacket a rugged "Western" look that to me wouldn't work with a dressier (i.e., wider ribbon) fedora. Just my view.

Sheepskin collar is a horse of a different color, to mix my animals. You could move into the whole Akubra and Western line with one of those. Then men's dress hats are not what you want.

.... It's mostly going to be used for walking the dog and trundling about on the motorbike.......

Welcome Franky. Not so sure how to accomodate that last use. I go with a cap mostly for motorbike trundling (not really sure what that is) because they are more easily carried when I wear my helmet. I have been looking at a Christy's Traveler for rolling up in the saddlebags.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi Guys,

Just about ALL the non dress range of either Akubra, Stetson, Resistol, really any QUALITY FUR felt hat would work with a leather jacket w/sheepskin collar. I would'nt wear a fine, fine Dress style Fedora, or Bowler, or Homburg with that type of jacket. And as far as riding a scooter, keep the HELMET on your head and save the HAT for two-legged propulsion :) JMHO :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

the dude79

New in Town
the new dude in town looking for his perfect hat.

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to this site but it seems like the perfect place to continue my search for my dream hat. I have been on a mission for the last 6 years, since I started wearing hats again, to invest in my perfect hat. The hat I'm searching for is a DARK (and I mean DARK) grey fur-felt fedora. It would have a 2 5/8" brim (either under-welt or pencil roll) and a 4 3/4" Tear drop crown. Now, as I was saying I've searched any place I can think of and what I've found is this hat seems to be as expensive as it is rare. In any case, I am optimistic that I have come to the right place and I do appreciate any help I get. Thank you!

Regards,
Corey

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
A nice hat can cost some money but they are well worth it. The forum is the place to learn about all the styles of hats so that you can find that one that you are looking for. You will also find many many others that you will come to want also.:)

jbucklin

Practically Family
Sounds like you need a custom hat. Although there are a few custom hatters that you'll soon discover on this forum, my vote would be a VS by Art Fawcett. He will build you a hat according to your desired specifications.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

Welcome to the Lounge!

Jason

1961MJS

Hi

Disgustingly obvious plug for Tumwater hats:

You mean like this Dark Gray (Charcoal) hat?

Seattle_Charcoal_01.jpg

TonyB is a member here, and that hat cost me $300.00. 5.75 inch crown, haven't measured it as creased, 2.75 inch brim, 100% beaver fur felt.

Later

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I agree a custom hat is the way to go, that way you'll get a hat that fits your vision.

I have dealt with Parker at Falcon Park, he's done a conversion for me and a custom. He's very talented and has good prices. But you also can't go wrong with Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy