Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pinup Thread

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I would definitely study some pictures because while you want to put your own spin on it, there is definitely a 'feel' to them. Props are important as is a theme....and beyond that your imagination is the limit.

I have always loved the holiday themed shots.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Ooooh! Good for you! :eusa_clap Pin up shoots can be fun, Fun, FUN! Everyone else is right, you should wear what makes you feel good! The advice that the big time girls always seem to give is to look at old pin ups and practice the expressions and some of the poses in a mirror. You may feel silly doing it, but it does pay off in the end! Having been behind the camera (in a past career) and in front of the camera for laughs I have to agree. All the great wardrobe and props can't sell an image as well as a good model. I know you’ll be great and have lots of fun too! I hope you’ll be shooting some Lounge appropriate material because I’d love to see the finished product!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
KamiKat that's exciting news - congrats! For sure wear something you feel great in. Maybe get all dolled up in your fav outfits and have someone snap some photos of you in various poses and from different angles so you can see what each outfit will look like. Remember the pro photog will make everything look that much better - they have a knack for that. From what I can see in your avatar - you've got a great look, the pics will be amazing.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I completely agree with all of the recommendations.The Great American Pinup book is an excellent resource.Yes,as silly as it sounds practice makes perfect.

Some other recomendations are:
Stretch before,those poses can be difficult to hold.You'll be sore the next day.
Hold your tongue to the roof of your mouth,helps keep you from getting that dreaded double chin we can get in downcast shots.
Not a necessity,but a makeup artist can create a more flawless finish,boost your confindence,and just make you feel pampered.
Bring a few clothing options,as well as cute underpinnings.A flash of lace or garter peeking out can add just the right allure without being overt.
Bring water,straws,and a snack.

Mostly,have fun!!!
We can't wait to see the results!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Nothing much to add as all the other ladies have said it better, but just a few small tips. Firstly, there is no such thing as too heavy - pin up is about curves! If you are clothed though, shapewear is a godsend for really putting everything in the right place. For some reason I have found that more exaggerated poses seem to work well, so really suck bits in, push bits out, arch your back, shoulders back, and definitely do the tongue thing Rubyredlocks mentions. Mostly, have a blast! It can indeed be tiring work though, especially if you have to hold one of the aforementioned exaggerated poses!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
For some reason I have found that more exaggerated poses seem to work well, so really suck bits in, push bits out, arch your back, shoulders back, and definitely do the tongue thing Rubyredlocks mentions. Mostly, have a blast! It can indeed be tiring work though, especially if you have to hold one of the aforementioned exaggerated poses!

Definitely... stomach in, bits out. Yes, it gets tiring and the lights do take a lot out of you.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, everyone! I've been poring over the Great American Pin-up site.
I just ordered a waist cincher, so I hope that helps. I think I'm going to make the Simplicity repro shorts and halter outfit, in addition to a new dress. That seems to be a popular look.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Kami how exciting! I know they will turn out wonderful! Be sure to ask what the photographer has in mind before shooting, and tell them what you don't want. Tell them specifics about your body that you might be worried about... such as, when I had a pic taken, they had me lean back on my elbow on my side. When I got the pic back I cried, my arm looked SOOO huge! But if they had just made me sit up a bit more to stretch that out, it would've been great.
Then relax and let them shoot away. I know you'll be wowed by your own beauty when you see your pictures, you're such a doll!
Nikki

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ohairas said:
When I got the pic back I cried, my arm looked SOOO huge! But if they had just made me sit up a bit more to stretch that out, it would've been great.

That's what retouching is for :)

ShortClara

One Too Many
If they are using a digital camera, have them take a shot or two and then ask to see it. I have escaped many a bad post/ angle by just looking at it and changing, rather than get 50 nasty pics! That being said, that's when I was taking headshots, and the shoot was all about me. This shoot is about her vision, too, so it might be harder. Straight on will make you look the widest, so a nice angle to the body always helps. Practice in front of a full length mirror - that will help a lot.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ooh, good for you!!

I definitely recommend having a makeup artist for your first shoot. It just helps you avoid a lot of stress, until you learn what kind of makeup photographs well. There's a huuuuge difference between what looks great in person and what looks great on camera! My second pin-up shoot (my first without a MUA) disappointed me because I was still very inexperienced with camera makeup.

If you do your own makeup anyway, make sure your foundation and powder doesn't contain any sunscreens/titanium dioxide. A good lipliner is very important, too!! Fake lashes are great for any shoot and a necessity for pin-up. The MUAs I've worked with haven't put me in falsies just because I have unusually long, thick lashes, but I sometimes use them on the corners of my eyes just for the effect.

Bring a bag to the shoot. Include hairspray/gel/whatever product you use, bobby pins, lipstick and liner, powder, etc. I like to bring outfits and accessories that I can mix and match. If you have any cool vintage [non-clothes] items, they might make great props! I've seen lots of cute stuff with vintage fans, telephones, suitcases, etc.

Bring a drink, and a straw so you don't mess up your lipstick when you take a break. Bite-sized snacks are great, too. I usually bring things like apple slices with peanut butter, baby carrots with hummus, nuts, chocolate-covered almonds, etc.

Good luck! :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Kami how exciting! I know they will turn out wonderful! Be sure to ask what the photographer has in mind before shooting, and tell them what you don't want. Tell them specifics about your body that you might be worried about... such as, when I had a pic taken, they had me lean back on my elbow on my side. When I got the pic back I cried, my arm looked SOOO huge! But if they had just made me sit up a bit more to stretch that out, it would've been great.
Then relax and let them shoot away. I know you'll be wowed by your own beauty when you see your pictures, you're such a doll!
Nikki

Haha, I think we all have some bad-shot horror stories!

I have a very unique nose (kinda Jewish, kinda Italian, kinda squishy). I would never change it, but I do need to know my angles or else I look really awkward!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Kamikat- First off......LUCKY!!! Wow. Most girls pay $300 or more for a pinup photo of themselves.

Second- Most guys don't like stick figures. Curvier the better. ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
RetroBabydoll said:
Kamikat- First off......LUCKY!!! Wow. Most girls pay $300 or more for a pinup photo of themselves.

Second- Most guys don't like stick figures. Curvier the better. ;)

We've worked out a barter. I'll be doing her hair in exchange (she wants bright fuchsia and her regular girl won't do it).

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also, if you're planning on wearing a ff stockings with a girdle or garter belt, which I assume you are, you might consider picking up some pantyhose or Alives (http://www.haneshosiery.com/Alive/thumbs.asp?collection=Alive) (support hose that my burlesque group used to wear). Although you'd never wear them in real life, in photos wearing them will smooth out any unevenness, create the smoothness in the skin, and eliminate the appearance of cellulite in that upper thigh area above the ff stockings!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Just a General FYI

Since you already have your own makeup deal worked out this is general.

I can't tell you how many times as a makeup artist people have wanted me to work for free. A lot of money goes into your supplies and time into honing your skills. A trade like kamikats or being paid is really nice! :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Also, if you're planning on wearing a ff stockings with a girdle or garter belt, which I assume you are, you might consider picking up some pantyhose or Alives (http://www.haneshosiery.com/Alive/thumbs.asp?collection=Alive) (support hose that my burlesque group used to wear). Although you'd never wear them in real life, in photos wearing them will smooth out any unevenness, create the smoothness in the skin, and eliminate the appearance of cellulite in that upper thigh area above the ff stockings!

That's a great tip! I never would have thought of that.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

That is evil genius...I love it:eusa_clap

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
We've worked out a barter. I'll be doing her hair in exchange (she wants bright fuchsia and her regular girl won't do it).

Maybe I should barter.....hmmm. I know most are expensive. That's so neat! I hope you like your photos when they're developed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner