Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Plan

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I tend to do things pretty analytically. I was surprised yet comforted to hear there are many others here who have spreadsheets on the jackets they own, sold, want, etc.

With jacket wearing season only a handful of weeks away (well at least for us above the equator), curious if any of you have thought about your jacket wearing preferences?

With some recent sales, I've gotten the collection down to 16 jackets. It does not include 4 jackets I'm saving for my sons. Basically stuff that's on the edge of being to small for me and/or stuff that doesn't have a lot of resale value but they could have some fun with them.

From the 16, 9 are what I call my first string. These are jackets that fit well, have nice leather that will evolve with the wears, and I just prefer the overall design. Any of these 9 in "normal" circumstances if I wasn't so obsessed could be my ONE jacket. I could grab any of the 9 on any given day and be happy. By no means does this mean they are perfect or grail or whatever. But they make me feel cool putting them on :cool:

The remaining 7 are scenario jackets. Still very nice jackets, still fit me well, but they're more of a certain look kind of jacket. i.e. a B3 or C3 vest or a vintage racer with poofier sleeves. Stuff I'm going to get some wears on, but they won't be the first thing I grab unless I'm in that kind of mood so to speak.

Goal is get about 20-25 wears on each jacket in the first batch. And maybe 5-10 on the second. A wear is at least a few hours on, doing something active so the jacket is coming alive. So in theory I could get a "wear" on 2 jackets in the same day (one I'd wear going to work and another for date night or whatever).

What I should do is take a quick before pick on at least the 9 and see how they look after this season. Operation Crease!

Anyway, that's the plan. Watch it all go to crap as soon as the classifieds blow up with a ton of jackets that don't fit people anymore coming out of summer and my collection doubles in size LOL.

Curious if any of you have laid out what you're doing without entering Rainman zone.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
At the last count i have 60 leather jackets, I have a few more on order.
I don't think i have a real plan, i just like leather jackets.

I try to wear them as much as possible, be it on the bike, going out or in the house, i wear at least two different jackets every day. If it ever rains when i am at home i will put my least broken in jacket and go wear it outside to get it wet.

Some i wear regularly, some see 1 or 2 wears yearly, some i haven't worn in years but they make sens in my collection and i like them for a reason or another.
If i am on the bike i usually wear a Vanson or a Lost Worlds.

For me there is absolutely no good reason to have more than 3 leather jackets. Even in Chicago, where I’d imagine the opportunity presents itself far more than some of the warmer climates many live in with much, much larger collections…more than three is excessive imho. I have 9 right now and I’m trying to off load two (newer, not very interesting jackets).
I do feel I can justify the remaining seven. I’ll illuminate. For leather I have the following:

Cold weather, winter bar-hopper:
6B0DEAA8-0E21-4D53-B7D6-BC52BAEA56A8.jpeg

*Classic (dad?) jackets (cool dad, but still. Dad):
26E6BA10-47F2-49E5-BB73-0746B339F7FD.jpeg
EEA1CCD4-14AF-4858-A356-848E6D14FCE9.jpeg

The ultra cold weather revenant:
514562DF-0BC7-491F-9EE0-D9422A091AAD.jpeg

The multi player:
“in case of divorce” jacket
Fall nights out
Denim substitute:
C334932B-9D2F-481B-88F0-651A615BA5C4.jpeg

The trip to a micro brewery/ dispensary:
449E2208-7D7F-4B72-BAD7-3F03F5132582.jpeg

The just grab a cool jacket and go to Target:
0857498D-A730-4A4F-AC4C-3EA5C452816C.jpeg

Fortunately these jackets are old, worn and need no additional wear to look the part. I’ll of course still look for vintage gems but my collection is at its peak right now. Maybe some 70’s ski jackets could be sprinkled in?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
For me there is absolutely no good reason to have more than 3 leather jackets. Even in Chicago, where I’d imagine the opportunity presents itself far more than some of the warmer climates many live in with much, much larger collections…more than three is excessive imho. I have 9 right now and I’m trying to off load two (newer, not very interesting jackets).
I do feel I can justify the remaining seven. I’ll illuminate. For leather I have the following:

Cold weather, winter bar-hopper:
View attachment 354290

*Classic (dad?) jackets (cool dad, but still. Dad):
View attachment 354291 View attachment 354292

The ultra cold weather revenant:
View attachment 354293

The multi player:
“in case of divorce” jacket
Fall nights out
Denim substitute:
View attachment 354294

The trip to a micro brewery/ dispensary:
View attachment 354295

The just grab a cool jacket and go to Target:
View attachment 354296

Fortunately these jackets are old, worn and need no additional wear to look the part. I’ll of course still look for vintage gems but my collection is at its peak right now. Maybe some 70’s ski jackets could be sprinkled in?

Awesome categories lol. I too think 7 is a good number. One for every day of the week kind of thing. I'll never get there. I'm too attached to some for one reason or another. But, if I was starting over, yeah that would be it.

Pandemic

One Too Many
My plan was to have one mid and one heavy brown jacket, but now I am adding a black jacket to the mix. Will I change belt and boots to wear it?

Winter is so short and mild here, I almost feel the need to sell some sweaters, canvas and denim jackets to make sure the leathers get wear.

I thought I had a plan...I was doing ok too, selling off ones to get down to 3. Then I got a PM about the Bates I really wanted...and I dove into the Walter Dyer with the great collar, and now I’m up to 8 again...need to sell 2 or 3 more.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
My oldest starts Kindergarten this week. There's an outdoor "Meet the Teacher" event Tuesday evening, an online orientation Wednesday morning, and then his first full day on Thursday. I've been trying to figure what first impression to make, but alas the heat, humidity, and chances for rain start increasing again on Tuesday after a slight reprieve this past weekend. Leather jacket probably won't be an option.

Allydress

New in Town
My oldest starts Kindergarten this week. There's an outdoor "Meet the Teacher" event Tuesday evening, an online orientation Wednesday morning, and then his first full day on Thursday. I've been trying to figure what first impression to make, but alas the heat, humidity, and chances for rain start increasing again on Tuesday after a slight reprieve this past weekend. Leather jacket probably won't be an option.
That would be a sad day. Those jackets would look great on you!

What I'll try to do this year is to get rid of all the very expensive jackets that I never have the guts to really wear and just focus on cheapos and vintage ones 'cause there's plenty of stuff to be found. Numbers don't matter but I have been making absolutely sure lately that I'm buying the jacket I really, really want. No more impulse purchases.

I thought I had a plan...I was doing ok too, selling off ones to get down to 3. Then I got a PM about the Bates I really wanted...and I dove into the Walter Dyer with the great collar, and now I’m up to 8 again...need to sell 2 or 3 more.

Recurring theme with me, too. I get a jacket I'm perfectly happy with, realize I might get another one in another style, just to cover all the bases, I see something really cool and that's usually when things get out of control.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
I had a plan.

Then it went out of the window.

Finding the sort of clothes I like, be it trousers, shoes, shirts,coats or jackets on the High St is impossible. The beauty of the lockdown meant spending hours on line looking for stuff....which I managed to find.

My only leather jacket was a Schott A2 that I thought was the dogs danglies. Bought a couple of jackets from Wested that I thought were also spot on....then I found this place :)

Wested stuff got sold on and 2 were ordered from Aero and a flying jacket was also bought. The monies spent during and since the lockdown is a case of 'How much??" but hey, 68 in a months time and you can't take it with you.

I'll end up with 4 leather jackets yet I think the Aero Sheene will be my live in jacket...can't see myself needing more trousers, more shoes (although looking at a pair of boots at Aero when I go up to collect the jackets) however I know they'll be more additions :)

Plans are only there to be broken!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own 20 some leather jackets and most of them never see the light of day. The jacket that gets the most wear is usually the last one I received (that is until I get another one…).
I have tried to plan out my wear schedule in the past but the fact of the matter is there are usually only one or two jackets on my mind when I am heading out the door and those are the ones I wear. Sometimes I reach into the rack pull out an old one I haven’t worn for a while, Saturday it was my Diamond Dave A2.
Having just received the IH x SB natural horsehide jacket last week I am planning to give this one a lot of wear because I want to see if I can turn it into one of those beautiful burnished brown jackets that only seem to exist on Instagram…

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
There seems to be a good mix of us who have more of a collection I guess you could say and for mere simple mathematical reasons just won't get a lot of wears in. Vs those of you who have a handful or less and obviously can take a more practical approach.

I think if I had to start over again, knowing what I know now about various brands, leather types, styles, etc. I'd probably be in the 5-7 range. Deep down inside I am a cheap ba***rd and I feel like I need to get value out of these, so in my mind I'm quantifying that into number of wears. But a lot of it really has to do with just seeing the jackets evolve into something special, and in my eyes getting the most value out of them. However, storage space and money issues aside, it is pretty cool having a collection of varied styles and something you can pick out from time to time because it gives you a sense of nostalgia, or makes you feel cool, or whatever. No right or wrong answers I guess.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I had a plan.

Then it went out of the window.

Finding the sort of clothes I like, be it trousers, shoes, shirts,coats or jackets on the High St is impossible. The beauty of the lockdown meant spending hours on line looking for stuff....which I managed to find.

My only leather jacket was a Schott A2 that I thought was the dogs danglies. Bought a couple of jackets from Wested that I thought were also spot on....then I found this place :)

Wested stuff got sold on and 2 were ordered from Aero and a flying jacket was also bought. The monies spent during and since the lockdown is a case of 'How much??" but hey, 68 in a months time and you can't take it with you.

I'll end up with 4 leather jackets yet I think the Aero Sheene will be my live in jacket...can't see myself needing more trousers, more shoes (although looking at a pair of boots at Aero when I go up to collect the jackets) however I know they'll be more additions :)

Plans are only there to be broken!
first of all, phrase of the day, maybe the month -- "the dogs danglies" Absolutely love it.

And yeah, your story mimics mine. Roughly a year ago I had a couple of Andrew Marc and All Saints lambskin fashion jackets and a Schott Perfecto and was totally happy. Found these forums and realized my jackets were either two sizes too big and/or had shyte leather. Now maybe 35 jackets later in about 12 months (thankfully some have been sold), I think I'm happy, but also cursed in knowing NOW what I really want LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner