Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Pleasing Phrase" Thread

Flivver

Practically Family
Piazza was also common usage for porch here in Central Massachusetts when I was a kid in the '50s and '60s. My grandparents, who were Polish immigrants, used the term all the time, as did most of our neighbors.

Wonder if it was a New England term?

rumblefish

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Aught-(number) for a year whose third digit is zero. I even used it today: "Just like we used to do it back in aught-three."
I hear a lot of hunters (not in the know) who refer to the rifle caliber 30-06 Springfield as thirty-odd-six rather than thirty-aught-six. Bit off topic- :)
It bothers me because I like the sound of aught, and I try night to let my New York accent pronounce auwwwt.:eek:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Avalon said:
Another thing my friends get a kick out of is that I call movies "pictures".

I do that, too (though I haven't always). I think we need to get that usage back into wider circulation, along with "pizza pie."

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
My grandfather always referred to his car as a "machine"...as in,let's take the machine to the store. He sat on a davenport, not a sofa, ate dinner at mid-day and supper in the evening. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Who doesn't?

Did he keep his cold cuts in the icebox, as we do?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
I hear a lot of hunters (not in the know) who refer to the rifle caliber 30-06 Springfield as thirty-odd-six rather than thirty-aught-six. Bit off topic- :)
It bothers me because I like the sound of aught, and I try night to let my New York accent pronounce auwwwt.:eek:

Sheesh! Even my dad gets that one right.

TomS

One Too Many
I recall my mother commenting about "painting the town red", and going "whole hog".

"Painting the town red" = going out and having a good time

"Whole hog"= going above and beyond in a particular endeavor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"You've got it backside-to," meaning you've put the sweater or the shirt on with the tag to the front instead of the rear.

"Gaummin' around" -- to engage in idle, pointless activity. Another variation is "Gaummy," meaning clumsy and ill-coordinated -- "Look at that big gaummy kid."

Fedoration

New in Town
I've grown quite fond of the expression "to make the bee line for the bakers dozen"
People used to believe that bees flew in a straight line for their hive. So making a bee line is going straight for something.
A bakers dozen means thirteen. This is believed to be coming from the time when bakers were punished for making underweight bread and some would add an extra loaf to the dozen to be free from suspicion.
Making a bee line for the bakers dozen is the act of when being in a sticky situation, putting yourself above suspicion immediately using whatever means it takes but without sticking daggers in backs in the progress.
It really refers to the gentlemans way of getting out of trouble; quick, decisive and considerate towards others.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
can it be french?

I have to admit that my favorite phrase is in the French language! I have several others in plain English i love, but that one is very pleasing to my ears!:D

Coup de Foudre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925