Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pocket Phone- Cell Phones

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
That's the back up phone that I am considering. The problem is, they operate just like my VX6100! I downloaded the 8300 manual, and according to it, you can set the Voice Commands to "Always Off." So I called the LG Tech Support and asked if that disabled the stupid side button, but she said no, nothing disables any of the side buttons! So like it or not, you will have the convenience of Voice Commands! :mad: So now I just have to decide if I want basically the same phone as I have now, or if I want the speakerphone of the Samsung goin off in my ear... I'm actually leaning toward the 8300.
I wanted to let you know that i double checked my GF’s phone and sure enough all the buttons DO lock down when the folder is closed. So there should be no problem of this phone going off in your pocket

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
I wanted to let you know that i double checked my GF’s phone and sure enough all the buttons DO lock down when the folder is closed. So there should be no problem of this phone going off in your pocket
That's on the LG? I ended up getting the Samsung last Saturday, and it's OK, but here's something new: according to both Samsung and Verizon, none of the new phones allow you to upload your own ringtones! Does anyone know the lowdown on that? Both companies kept pushing the stupid Get It Now service, where ringtones are "only $1.99!" Well, I don't want your crappy 30 second Snoop Dogg sound snippets! I want my entire MP3 version of Mel Torme's "It Don't Mean a Thing" for my ringtone. Can I Get That Now? No. And how am I going to get my Rat Patrol theme song ringtone from Get It Now? I think all these company's are in cahoots to force us all to use Jessica Simpson ringtones.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
That's on the LG? I ended up getting the Samsung last Saturday, and it's OK, but here's something new: according to both Samsung and Verizon, none of the new phones allow you to upload your own ringtones! Does anyone know the lowdown on that? Both companies kept pushing the stupid Get It Now service, where ringtones are "only $1.99!" Well, I don't want your crappy 30 second Snoop Dogg sound snippets! I want my entire MP3 version of Mel Torme's "It Don't Mean a Thing" for my ringtone. Can I Get That Now? No. And how am I going to get my Rat Patrol theme song ringtone from Get It Now? I think all these company's are in cahoots to force us all to use Jessica Simpson ringtones.

that was the LG 8300.

About rindtones.....

You should check out Howard Forums for phones. it's not too hard to find with google. just look it up in google. Try both the Verzion / phones forum and the Sam Sung Phones forum.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
that was the LG 8300.

About rindtones.....

You should check out Howard Forums for phones. it's not too hard to find with google. just look it up in google. Try both the Verzion / phones forum and the Sam Sung Phones forum.
Ah! Excellent! So it can be done, just not in the usual manner?

matei

One Too Many
I'm with Matt here, I have a RAZR just because it is the slimmest phone that I could get at the time. I cannot stand bulging pockets. It looks unsightly and attacts pickpockets as well. I even have my keys in a leather pouch that lays flat.

Regarding the RAZR, I have the new version now, with the increased memory... whoop-de-do. Aside from the form, which I like, I think it is an "okay" phone. I only use it as a phone, and nothing else. I'm on my second one.

I would prefer not to have a mobile. My job gave me a massive Siemens mobile that I keep in my briefcase. Even with all its shortcomings, the RAZR is much better than the Siemens one.

The o/s and GUI on the Nokia phones is much better, in my opinion.

Regarding those bluetooth things that you stick in yer ear... Methinks they look daft. You see people wearing them all the time here, they look like they're right off the new Dr. Who series. I saw someone wearing one in each ear the other day, he looked a right eejit.

Senator Jack said:
I consult for a man who is involved with a legal battle in a small farming community in Italy. Because the community is high in the mountains, wireless providers began to erect an inordinate amount of towers. From what I recall, they started going up about ten years ago. Well, in the last few years, deformed calfs were being born and they were, unfortunately, followed by deformed children. The farmers also began to develop lesions about their bodies and quite a few of them had to have limbs amputated. More than a few people have died of 'something' as the hospitals are reporting.

I've heard similar things as well... In something that might be related, there are lots of communities here in the UK that are protesting against the placement of TETRA systems in their communities. I believe that the police use TETRA for communications...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey don't microwaves travel in a straight focused line in a point to point system where powerlines "bleed" off energy in all directions? Thought that unless you were in the "beam" it was no problemo. Of course the waves must need to difuse for coverage. Oh well. Maybe I can sue somebody for my cancer.lol

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
PeeWee said:
I still find my Nokia Tracfone I bought 10 years ago for $25 to be quite a bargain. Prepaid minutes works for me:D

I have a old nokia Trak Phone. you know for what it was, it was very bvasic, easy to use and they even had good service!

Travis

Suspended
Senator Jack said:
I tell everyone NOT to get a bluetooth earpiece. I don't believe they've done enough research into the possibility of long-term side effects. As it is, we still don't know what the proximity of the field telephone is doing to our brain cells. A morbid thought, but one that's on my mind.

Senator Jack

Not to mention, as has been said, how ugly they are. To top that off, I put them on my list of top 10 annoying things people do. I think it's one thing if you use a hands free thing while driving, but when I'm walking through the store or down the street and someone walking alone comes up by me and starts talking, I assume they're talking to me, or they're crazy, than I see that damned thing inside their ear. When I see them, I see red.

drafttek said:
Can't we just get a phone that makes and takes calls. No camera, no MP3 player, just a phone.

My sentiments exactly. I want a phone to be able to make calls, recieve calls and nothing more. I don't need a personal computer at all times, just the ability to use a phone. I only carry a cell phone because I do not have a regular landline and my cell phone is the only way to get ahold of me.

I carry an LG VX3400. It was the cheapest phone they had at the Verizon store, is reletively compact and doesn't have useless crap like cameras and mp3 players, I don't even have text messaging. None of the side buttons do anything when the phone is closed. For my needs, it's perfect, but yeah, a wrist phone ala Dick Tracy would just rule.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Pardon if this is the hater thread...

...but I am loving my Palm Treo 700. I even post to the Lounge from it (sometimes). It combines PalmPilot functions with the phone and updates to my computer desktop. Plus, it's a little beefier than a standard flip phone, so I can stash it in an inside beast pocket and it won't fall over and snag its aerial in the lining.

I'll post a few pix from the useless, crappy camera sometime. It's a fun thing to have, especially when you're at the grocery and run across signs like PORKETTE BUTT or 10' PIES.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
That's what I thought until...

Travis said:
I want a phone to be able to make calls, recieve calls and nothing more.
My office made me (well asked VERY politely) start carrying a blackberry. A phone AND an old clunky bb got me shopping for a new combo. Got a Motorola Q and it is VERY wonderful. Checks all of my email accounts, syncs directly with the server at work. Has terrific Internet access. And, it is VERY slim and lightweight. Slips into my shirt or suit pocket easily.

Weston

A-List Customer
I carry the aforementioned Nokia 1100. I do Net10 every two months. My wife and I both have one and it works great and is super cheap for us. Phone does nothing but make calls and has an emergency flashlight on it, which is neat.

I love getting high pressure calls to switch cell companies. I just say "can you beat $15 a month?" and they universally just kinda say "ummm no. Bye!"

:)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Fletch said:
...but I am loving my Palm Treo 700. I even post to the Lounge from it (sometimes). It combines PalmPilot functions with the phone and updates to my computer desktop. Plus, it's a little beefier than a standard flip phone, so I can stash it in an inside beast pocket and it won't fall over and snag its aerial in the lining.

I'll post a few pix from the useless, crappy camera sometime. It's a fun thing to have, especially when you're at the grocery and run across signs like PORKETTE BUTT or 10' PIES.

I have the Treo 650 and its great. I agree the camera isnt the best but I have taken shots as odd as Porkette Butt.

Do you also carry a notepad (like a Moleskin)? Or do you just type your notes into the phone?

BRS

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not exactly vintage

Well, as a non cell phone owner, I must say that this whole subject seems awfully far afield for this group. Yes, the Dick Tracy wrist radio is very vintage, and yes, I understand everybody who owns one the damned things is UTTERLY OBSESSED with them, but I dunno. One thing that could make it slightly relevant is that Hedy Lamarr (yes, THAT Hedy Lamarr, rent "Algiers" if you have never seen it) invented the concept of frequency hopping that is the basis for cell phone technology.
http://t1rex.blogspot.com/2005/03/thank-hedy-lamarr-for-bluetooth.html
I like the idea of a cigaret case style phone.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Well, as a non cell phone owner, I must say that this whole subject seems awfully far afield for this group.

Well so is typing on a computer to leave messages on a board like this...yet here we all are!

If we restricted ourselves to discussing past things, we wouldnt be here at all and none of us would have met great freinds etc.

Speaking of classic and past twists on the modern live we all actually reside in, is part of the greatness of the FL...if you ask me.

zibosco

New in Town
Oh my! No Cell Phone...

How would we get along on earth without them...no pay phones...no pagers...I can't imagine such a life. But then, I'm again'um too.

rongoms

Familiar Face
POKIA!

HI all,

Since i'm the new guy, responding to my first thread since finding this wonderful place, please allow me to refer you to my solution for this dilemma.

Pokia.

Search that famous auction site for Pokia and you will be pleased, i think, with some of the unique solutions for maintaining impeccable style, while still accomodating your high-tech nature.

For those who are not aware, a Pokia is a conventional wired telephone handset (remember those?) rewired to work with the headphone plug on todays modern handsets. (there are even bluetooth models available, sans-wires)

Ive got a couple different versions, my favorite being a brown bakelite model from British Telecom, roughly a 50's vintage. Paired with my Windows Mobile smartphone creates a wonderful dichotomy. :)

Please feel free to contact me directly if you desire more information on these items, there are lots of knock offs out there too.....and you can probably make one yourself if you're decent with a soldering iron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24