Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prisoner

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I enjoy The Prisoner and pretty much every kind of spy/cop/private eye show from this period. It's what I like to call my "'65-'75 Mood", based on certain trends, fashions, musical styles, content, etc. I am a huge fan of The Persuaders!, probably one of my favorite shows ever. Funny how this era is about as far removed as our beloved "Golden Age", but I guess my love for this particular era has more to do with having memories of the way things were then, even if it's viewed through the false world of television.

I'm also a self-admitted Hawaii Five-O fanatic...

As for the Prisoner, I loved just about every one of the 17 episodes, except the series finale, which I've only seen once. Hated it! I've heard/read many explanations, all of which are as farfetched and indecipherable as the episode itself!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Prairie Dog said:
All three programs were produced between 1966 and 1969, but they feel surprisingly contemporary -- there's not a hippie in sight, and their detached cool suggests current fashion and design trends. The characters' clothes are impeccably tailored, they are surrounded by sleek furniture and they drive sexy cars -- the life to which every gent in an Eames chair or a Mini Cooper aspires.

Could this be because the "Mod" look was more popular in Europe during this time? I'm sure there were hippies in Europe, too, but it seems that the Mod look of "Swingin' London" was THE thing. Regardless, after discovering these shows some years ago, I found it refreshing that there was more to the 1960s than the Beatles, hippies, Woodstock, assassinations, and Vietnam. It opened up a whole new appreciation for that often-stereotyped decade. Same thing with the early 1970s, which wasn't quite Seventies in the disco/Aaron Spelling/Star Wars way, but not Sixties, either. A strange and fascinating period, the early 1970s.

Eyemo

Practically Family
I lived about an hours drive from Portmeirion (Aberystwyth) for several years..Cracking place, the surrounding countryside is magical...well worth a visit...

They also shot a movie called "The Red Beret" in the area...

There's also a great vintage railway system that takes you around Snowdonia...

I think there's a new Deco style restaurant on site too..

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/

Story

I'll Lock Up
He has revolted. Resisted. Fought. Held fast. Maintained. Destroyed resistance. Overcome coercion. The right to be a person, someone or individual. We applaud his private war, and concede that despite materialistic efforts, he has survived intact and secure!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Patrick Joseph McGoohan

no6rover1.jpg

..."be seeing you!"

blade runner

New in Town
Well that brings on the melancholy.:( I've been watching the old episodes of Secret Agent (a/k/a Danger Man) from Netflix. I like getting immersed in an earlier time period -- especially lately when our time seems so bleak. I was looking forward to getting The Prisoner afterward. Now it will all be a little bittersweet.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
blade runner said:
I was looking forward to getting The Prisoner afterward. Now it will all be a little bittersweet.
Don't be sad, revel in the man's work! He had a great carrier and achieved far more than most people in his profession ever do! Bravo to Patrick McGoohan :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BTW-
John Drake IS The Prisoner...look for the clues. Be seeing you ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow, this is devastating to me, in a distanced and impersonal way since I didn't actually know the man, but what a loss!

What an icon of dignity and sophistication.

Great actor, great work, great voice, he will be missed.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Oh..no!

I am afraid to say that ITV is at the late stages of planning a remake of The Prisoner. I don't believe who has been cast...

Who ever plays No. 6. I bet he can't write scripts like Mr. McGoohan did...

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I just started to watch as much as I can on YouTube-- Love it much. I still see him as the bad guy in 'Silver Streak'!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff