Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Proper Vintage Lid to be worn with your Proper Vintage Tails!?!?!?

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I know of one proper lid to be worn with a set of tails, the classic "toppa", but I was wondering, what other lids would be proper?

android

One of the Regulars
And quite frankly, the new wool top hats just won't do it. They dumb down the look something fierce.

Put a search notification on eBay and you'll eventually find a nice one. I did.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Which is better, silk or beaver? I have seen neither in person, and have been wondering about the differences between them.

Brad

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Nothing but nothing goes with the tails other than a shiny top hat. If you don't have one, don't wear a hat.

Beaver top hats are usually just a fur felt top hat without the sheen, just the look of felt.

Silk is a top hat made with a shell (not felt) and a velvety silk covering the outside. The silk strands were long enough that when they were brushed in one direction they shined. They make these hats today in England, though from what I have heard, the oriinal machines for making the silk lay the way it did on vintage top hats have been lost or destroyed. Modern silk top hats look shaggy and not shiny. If I were to buy a modern topper for an event I'd go with a satin coated collapsible. The collapsible versions made today are pretty much the same as they were back in the 30's.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Matt. I've seen the ones with long strands and thought they might be shiny beaver. Now I know better.

Baron's makes a top hat, both collapsible and non-collapsible, but they're only five inches tall, and look too short to my eye. I would expect at least a six-inch crown would look much better.

Brad

android

One of the Regulars
Before I got mine, I would have never thought 5" would be enough, But mine is
5 1/4" and it is exactly right. Taller will look more 1800's and you'll end up looking like Abe Lincoln.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ummmm... 5 inch is to short for a topper. Look at some of the fedoras from the 20's and 30's. They have a 6" crown. This photo here of Fred Astaire shows a topper that is I would say 6" tall. A stove pipe topper like mentioned would be WAY taller then 6"!

Root.

fred1.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not the best example, but this I would say is about 12"!

F54709.jpg

As to Bogie’s question if there is another hat proper to wear with a set of tails the answer is no. The top hat is the only hat that is proper to be worn with tails and or cutaways. However, if you were to wear a classic double breasted or a single breasted tux you could wear a top hat but, you could also wear a black homburg or Derby as well.

Root.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I knew it, it didn't really even have to ask, just wanted to be sure. Thanks to Wild Root for posting the pic of Fred, he is an idol of mine and the reason I love tails so much. I am currently on the hunt for a couple vintage toppers. I went out the other day to the antique district looking for one. I know I had seen one before but it was gone this time. Oddly enough, while I was on the hunt I found another set of late 30's tails and an early 30's tux. So at the end of the day I was really pleased, even though I did not find a proper topper, lol.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sounds like you have done rather good there Josh! Don’t worry about the top hat thing. You will find it and since you have the golden hat size, then you will find one that is really cool and really cheap compared to larger sized toppers.

Well, although Matt may not consider wearing a black Derby with any sort of tux, I would like to say that I have seen it done before in early 30’s movies. I have seen them worn with single breasted tuxes mostly. We must remember that when arriving to an event that would command formal wears, the hat would be checked at the door along with the coat and scarf. The black Homburg is a great hat that was worn with Single or double breasted tuxes. I have seen that worn more then the Derby with evening clothes. However, both hats are properly excepted as formal dress hats with the single or double breasted tux.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails