Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy’s / Joe McCoy Nelson 30’s Sport Jacket

Cognoscente

One of the Regulars
Introducing The Real McCoy’s / Joe McCoy Nelson 30’s style Sport Jacket in black teacore Shinki horsehide. There doesn’t appear to be much online about this particular jacket so I have decided to create a thread dedicated to this work of art here on the Lounge. I ordered this last week directly from The Real McCoy’s shipped from Leeds, UK via DHL. Luckily I didn’t have any customs issues and the box arrived in 5 days to Colorado (I ordered on a Thursday and received the next Monday).

Upon opening the box, I was impressed by the detailed blue packaging and the intoxicating smell of Shinki horsehide. Considering that this was a purchase north of $2k USD, I appreciated the presentation and superb packaging. The jacket came zipped and folded neatly with blue paper (to prevent creasing) in a blue Real McCoy’s bag that more resembled a shopping bag than a traditional jacket garment bag. I do think a blue garment bag would be more useful to me instead of a zipper hand bag, but that’s beside the point. The little extra effort to finally get to this beauty, did entice a feeling of anticipation that I did enjoy. Well done Real McCoy, I was successfully seduced.
968CE42E-C891-48C3-AD09-AC8FEE66E79F.jpeg
5FAEA812-5F09-4D93-825D-644ED6B342F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Cognoscente

One of the Regulars
FIT AND FINISH:
Manufacturers description:
“Based on an original vintage piece from our archive, the Nelson jacket is a 1930's inspired sports jacket. Back then most sports jackets featured a closed end type zipper. For practicality, they soon changed to separable ended zippers which we are more familiar with todays modern zippers. The Nelson is made using the best quality vegetable tanned horsehide from Shinki and the jacket also has been finished with periodically correct stitching to reflect the characteristics of a jacket from the Great Depression era. The jacket is constructed with zipped chest pocket, two slash hand pockets and adjustable iron pressed buckles side adjusters on the back.

• Vegetable Tanned Horsehide (Pigment Finish)
    • Cotton Herringbone Lining
    • 30s Talon Front Zipper
    • McCoy Ball Chain Zipper on Chest
    • Iron Pressed Buckle
    • Made in Japan”
During initial inspection I was very impressed with the workmanship and quality of the garment. The Talon hookless zipper is larger than the ones on my Himel Heron and Goodwear Californian jackets. Looks like an size 8 or a 10. The feel and position makes it very easy to manipulate with care (as you should with ALL hookless zippers).

Of course the next thing I noticed was the breathtaking beauty of the Shinki Horsehide and the weight of the overall jacket. I couldn’t find the exact thickness of leather that they use for this jacket online, but it definitely has some heft to it. It appears to be fabricated with thicker Shinki hides than my Himel and Goodwear jackets and it feels like a more substantial build than them as well. Not a knock to either craftsmen mentioned above, but a pleasant surprise to me. Of course it isn’t as heavy duty as my Lost Worlds Easy Ryder, but it isn’t that far off either. All the panels are matched to perfection and the stitching is flawless.

After I fully inspected the jacket exterior, I began to examine the fine touches and accents. The black cotton herringbone lining is extremely comfortable right away and I can tell it will be even more so after breaking in. I really like the corduroy lining inside the adjustable button wrist cuffs and the hand warmer pocket bags feel sturdy for actual use. The ball zipper pull on the chest pocket has “McCoy” engraved on it and there are no inside pockets, which I am on the fence about missing. Side adjustment buckles are made of really cool pressed iron and are positioned where normal half belt straps are located. Even though there isn’t a “half belt” involved in the construction, I wouldn’t want one to obscure the amazing large one piece back panel of Shinki. It is not where other manufacturers usually put the straps at the bottom of the belt design (see Aero Highwayman, Freewheelers Mulholland, etc).
Here are some fit pics of my size 40. All the measurements are exactly the same as their website and I was assured by their kind representative that their sizes do not deviate from what is posted. Quote “All of our jackets are cut and sewn to exact specifications, just like premier suit designers”.
https://therealmccoys.com/collections/outerwear/products/mj19115-30-s-leather-sports-jacket-nelson

Attachments

• 1904C857-483D-484E-9779-ACA756BB3FE9.jpeg
    1904C857-483D-484E-9779-ACA756BB3FE9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,217
  • C0FAD340-437C-4B09-A81D-2E2CD8C70986.jpeg
    C0FAD340-437C-4B09-A81D-2E2CD8C70986.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4,318
  • 17A0A1F1-615C-4B0A-B9B1-84ABA3545FEE.jpeg
    17A0A1F1-615C-4B0A-B9B1-84ABA3545FEE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,562
  • 6A68B0B4-DAFC-4D46-8BAA-5F680BDF11A4.jpeg
    6A68B0B4-DAFC-4D46-8BAA-5F680BDF11A4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,439
  • 773BEC9E-A073-46A4-80F5-2F16769189E9.jpeg
    773BEC9E-A073-46A4-80F5-2F16769189E9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,688
  • 68C11449-B3A5-4C77-925C-CEFB770A21FE.jpeg
    68C11449-B3A5-4C77-925C-CEFB770A21FE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,880
Last edited:

Cognoscente

One of the Regulars
My size and measurements:
I am 5’10” and 180 lbs. My actual chest is 40.5”. My shoulders are 18” and my waist in jeans is 34”.
The jeans in these photos are Iron Heart 2015 Denim Competition and boots are Wesco Axe Breaker horsehide Hendrick size 10.5E

I hope you enjoyed this review. I am by no means a clothing expert or professional writer and I have learned much of my design lingo from what I have read on The Fedora Lounge. Feel free to ask questions, comment, analyze as much as you like. I appreciate all the insights and knowledge from my fellow loungers!

Thank you,
Jeff

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Perfect fit and that jacket is so well made. Thanks for putting out a review on a RMC jacket that we havent seen around here. Congratulations on your new jacket! Hope to see more of it here so we can see how it evolves.

This back design was the inspiration for my custom field leather jacket.

*edit: and that puppy looks great. The goodest boy.

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
awesome jacket. Does this style run big? I thought the Japanese stuff was notorious for running small. You about the same size as me and I've passed on some size 40 RMCs I've seen on Buyee because I thought they'd be too small. But this looks perfect on you.

Cognoscente

One of the Regulars
Perfect fit and that jacket is so well made. Thanks for putting out a review on a RMC jacket that we havent seen around here. Congratulations on your new jacket! Hope to see more of it here so we can see how it evolves.

This back design was the inspiration for my custom field leather jacket.

*edit: and that puppy looks great. The goodest boy.
Thanks man, I’ll keep putting up pics as it breaks in. Also, he is the goodest boy!

Cognoscente

One of the Regulars
awesome jacket. Does this style run big? I thought the Japanese stuff was notorious for running small. You about the same size as me and I've passed on some size 40 RMCs I've seen on Buyee because I thought they'd be too small. But this looks perfect on you.
I was under the impression of the same thing, but I noticed that most of the jackets on their site now are close to true to size. I have an older Flat Head that I’m selling that is one size smaller than tag size. That was how all of the Japanese brands seemed to be, and how we were told to buy them. It was just recently pointed out to me, by a potential buyer, that my jacket size doesn’t match the latest Flat Head model sizing. I have never bought a jacket based on tag size as I have had a 36 Aero fit me the same as a 44 Flat Head jacket. Therefore I really haven’t kept track of the latest sizing trends in different markets. I haven’t bought a brand new jacket for a while, until now.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
FIT AND FINISH:
Manufacturers description:
“Based on an original vintage piece from our archive, the Nelson jacket is a 1930's inspired sports jacket. Back then most sports jackets featured a closed end type zipper. For practicality, they soon changed to separable ended zippers which we are more familiar with todays modern zippers. The Nelson is made using the best quality vegetable tanned horsehide from Shinki and the jacket also has been finished with periodically correct stitching to reflect the characteristics of a jacket from the Great Depression era. The jacket is constructed with zipped chest pocket, two slash hand pockets and adjustable iron pressed buckles side adjusters on the back.

• Vegetable Tanned Horsehide (Pigment Finish)
    • Cotton Herringbone Lining
    • 30s Talon Front Zipper
    • McCoy Ball Chain Zipper on Chest
    • Iron Pressed Buckle
    • Made in Japan”
During initial inspection I was very impressed with the workmanship and quality of the garment. The Talon hookless zipper is larger than the ones on my Himel Heron and Goodwear Californian jackets. Looks like an size 8 or a 10. The feel and position makes it very easy to manipulate with care (as you should with ALL hookless zippers).

Of course the next thing I noticed was the breathtaking beauty of the Shinki Horsehide and the weight of the overall jacket. I couldn’t find the exact thickness of leather that they use for this jacket online, but it definitely has some heft to it. It appears to be fabricated with thicker Shinki hides than my Himel and Goodwear jackets and it feels like a more substantial build than them as well. Not a knock to either craftsmen mentioned above, but a pleasant surprise to me. Of course it isn’t as heavy duty as my Lost Worlds Easy Ryder, but it isn’t that far off either. All the panels are matched to perfection and the stitching is flawless.

After I fully inspected the jacket exterior, I began to examine the fine touches and accents. The black cotton herringbone lining is extremely comfortable right away and I can tell it will be even more so after breaking in. I really like the corduroy lining inside the adjustable button wrist cuffs and the hand warmer pocket bags feel sturdy for actual use. The ball zipper pull on the chest pocket has “McCoy” engraved on it and there are no inside pockets, which I am on the fence about missing. Side adjustment buckles are made of really cool pressed iron and are positioned where normal half belt straps are located. Even though there isn’t a “half belt” involved in the construction, I wouldn’t want one to obscure the amazing large one piece back panel of Shinki. It is not where other manufacturers usually put the straps at the bottom of the belt design (see Aero Highwayman, Freewheelers Mulholland, etc).
Here are some fit pics of my size 40. All the measurements are exactly the same as their website and I was assured by their kind representative that their sizes do not deviate from what is posted. Quote “All of our jackets are cut and sewn to exact specifications, just like premier suit designers”.
https://therealmccoys.com/collections/outerwear/products/mj19115-30-s-leather-sports-jacket-nelson
Yowza!

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
That is a seriously nice looking jacket. I got a Buco J100 from The Real McCoys a couple of weeks ago and was also impressed with the presentation/packaging and the help they were able to offer me via email - took it from 'just' an amazing jacket to an overall fantastic retail experience. Congrats on your lovely purchase!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko