Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real, real Indy Jacket: Not What You Think

armscye

One of the Regulars
Reading the newest entries in the 12-page thread on Indy Jackets, I can't resist the chance to tell the story of the real Indiana Jones jacket, and the "first version" of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Obsessive film buffs will tell you that Raiders is actually a remake of a 1954 adventure serial film, starring Charlton Heston, called "Secrets of the Incas". How close a remake? Well, both involve a cynical but charming adventurer who wears a leather jacket, gabardine work trousers, and a fedora, carries a whip, and steals archaeological relics. Both open in South America, and have strikingly similar scenes involving pygmies and blowguns. In both, the heavies are fascists in crisp uniforms. And in both, the hero uses a map room with a miniature diorama to locate the treasure.

In some places, that would be called theft. In Hollywood, it's an "homage."

Until some clever soul posted Secrets of the Incas to YouTube, Secrets was unavailable on DVD and extremely obscure-- so much so that there was speculation that it had been suppressed to prevent comparison:

http://voices.yahoo.com/are-steven-spielberg-george-lucas-hiding-film-1457479.html?cat=40

In fact, now that it's available, the two films are so similar that there are shot-by-shot comparisons floating around the Internet:

http://vimeo.com/9760472

For us leather jacket buffs, though, the most intriguing aspect of the flick is The Jacket. Turns out the real, real Indiana Jones jacket is, ready for this?, pretty much a mall jacket: an A2/G1 mix with name tape and what looks like a unit patch, but visible pocket studs and handwarmer pockets. How's that for a way to resolve the unresolvable argument?

realindyjacket.jpg
realindyjacket2.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, not a big deal. This was the working man's uniform for much of the 20th century. A classic 50's look. I own a copy of this film it lacks what makes Raiders great; strong plotting and pace.

Last edited:

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
:(I've seen the film, after much trouble getting hold of a copy. It wasn't worth the effort. I'd place it somewhere below "Tales of the Gold Monkey" on a bad day, without the aircraft and gentle humor to liven it up.:(

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Raiders very deliberately borrowed from this and other films like "China" with Alan Ladd. Lucas's whole point was to update old Hollywood - I think he was successful.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
The shot comparison was fascinating but not really a side by side comparison of 2 films. Its an impressive Easter Egg hunt the editor did collecting similar shots from 30 different movies of the genre. Its not a direct statement of plagiarism as much as it is a testament to the fact that movie genres do tend to use the same themes. (That's sorta what makes it a genre.)

As for Lucas and Spielberg deliberately keeping "Incas" out of circulation... I doubt they have that much weight with Paramount or would care that much. I'd think it would be the other way around, actually: if Indy triggered new interest in the old genre they might bring out the old movie to make few more bucks off it.

My guess is the real reason it was never brought out is that it wouldn't be worth the expense of restoring the old footage and making the digital transfer. I'd also guess that it is less a secret closely kept as much as an obscure movie that most wouldn't recognize if you mentioned it. At least I've read about it in many places and it didn't seem to me that it was supposed to be kept under wraps. [huh]

I even recall seeing something like it on TV when I was young. No idea what it was, I just recall black and white and the kind of adventure it was. It was how I recognized the Indiana Jones movie when I saw it. I knew the genre already. Didn't seem like a rip off to me at the time just a story of the same style.

I do see why the Indy jacket was changed from a flight jacket the way it was. Smart of Lucas to do that and until I saw Heston's character I always kind of wondered why he didn't just use an off the shelf flight jacket. What he made is recognizable and invoking a particular era while being unique.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They did use an A2 in the auditions. Primary reason they made their own jacket was that it could accommodate the whip better. You'll never find a back pattern like that Indy jacket.

Seems that so many movies today are re- makes or sequels! They even did a redo of the Evil Dead (one of my favorites- the original).
I remember my Dad taking me to Raiders- He loved it because it reminded him of those serials/ films when he was younger.
I loved it when I was 9 (although Star Wars was still #1) and I still love it now (and the last Crusade- not so much the other 2).

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
CL Shaeffer, I still think your rendition of the San Diego Leather Company's Indy jacket with action back, D ring closure at the waist, and snap closure of the cuffs is without a doubt one of the best and hard to beat it as a general all purpose jacket.

indy1.jpg

indy2.jpg

And some of the non-Indy style details:

indy3.jpg

SD Leather website for this iteration; great value for the money:
http://leather.com/mens_aviation/indy.php

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
What this jacket misses and what makes the Indy jacket particularly wearable is that either side of the back panel, just below the side adjusters the jacket should be open, it basically has a suit jackets twin vents. This doesn't so it does not give any margin for sizing so you can get bound up at the waist.

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Yes, with this jacket the sizing has to be correct. You can snug up the waist with the side tabs some if your waist is smaller than the jacket but it cannot be let out if it doesn't fit around your hips. This particular jacket would more versatile if it had a true Indy back with the vents. In the thread where I posted those pics I mentioned that this is a motorcycle jacket for me here in the tropics - and the solid waistband is actually better for that role. Less to catch the wind and flap around and marginally more protection should you hit the pavement.

To tell the truth, I'd rather have the true Indy style full back with the vents but there was no jacket that had that and the button cuffs. For riding the button cuffs are critical. For what I use it for - motorcycle and travel to the mainland - it is almost perfect.

Incidentally, I wish someone still made them in bush poplin, ventile or waxed cotton. That would be even better here in the tropics and I could wear kevlar under (or over) it for road rash insurance. I could add a wrap and snap to the barrel cuffs for riding if need be. That would be much more wearable off the bike here and the general design of the Indy is pretty versatile.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I saw The Secret of the Incas when I was a kid, long before Raiders of the Lost Ark, and enjoyed ity very much. I loved those adventurers stories, whether on the movies, books or comic. Then Indiana Jones arrived and kept enjoying it, because to me it was and still is somewhat an stereotype of that kind of hero. A blend of a rogue, a goodie, and a thief. A cynical type who sometimes acts in a, lets say, morally right way whilst some other times is totally inmoral. Then, there is, of course a girl with a similar story of lights and shadows. Anyhow, I never thought of Indiana Jones as a plagio of any other story. The outfit of the hero, well, it had to be something appealing, and more in touch with the contemporary public of the film than period correct. Is just a matter of touching the customers rather than erudition, as for the rest of the elements of those films: all fiction. If not, where would be the thrill?
I just happened to see The Secret of the Incas recently on TV. Not the whole film, because I had other things to do, but a good part of it. It hasn't the pace and the excitation of The Riders, but it is forty years older and it has the techniques and the elements of its time.
As for the jacket, I expected to see Heston wearing a real A-2, but it is OK like this. A practical jacket for an outdoorsman.

All the adventurers movies have the same common elements, jungle treks, desert and mountain treks, native carriers that fall from cliffs, leaders that turn back to their troop and say "come on, keep going",etc... Tarzan movies, King Solomon's mines, and so on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points