Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The really big laugh for today

jamespowers said:
There is a shop over in Frisco, whose name I can't remember now, that has about ten 40s suits in your size for like $20 each. They can't give them away.

Whaaaaaaaaaa? I thought i'd been in every shop in SF selling vintage. And the only thing i saw was a suit for $75 that'd need heavy alteration (everywhere!) and some reweaving in the trousers ...

Man, you'd make a pretty profit sending those $20 babies out on the classified board here (of course giving me a heads up first). Believe me, unless you live in a big city, ANY size is hard to find. 16.5 inch shoulders and 36 inch chest are not so common as you might think :cry:

bk

p.s. In reply to Senator Jack, who said: Really, for the life of me, I can't understand why for that amount of money they can't think to cut armholes the right way. It got me to thinking, who would look good in this jacket? Why do armholes need to be this big? I know we had a long thread about armholes, but I still can't understand why even high-priced suits are cut this way. What's the purpose? The theory?

I think no more proof is needed, but it is, indeed all about the armholes!:

6189.jpg

Baron Kurtz said:
Whaaaaaaaaaa? I thought i'd been in every shop in SF selling vintage. And the only thing i saw was a suit for $75 that'd need heavy alteration (everywhere!) and some reweaving in the trousers ...

Man, you'd make a pretty profit sending those $20 babies out on the classified board here (of course giving me a heads up first). Believe me, unless you live in a big city, ANY size is hard to find. 16.5 inch shoulders and 36 inch chest are not so common as you might think :cry:

That sort of gives me the idea that they need to be saved and put to good use here. I will try to go back and see if they are still there. I wouldn't be looking to make a fortune just get them out to people who can apprecite them. Cross your fingers and hope they are still there.

Regards to all,

J

vintageredhead

New in Town
Senator Jack-this one's for you

What material is your jacket? I am wondering because I may be able to help you get it restored to pre-icky spot status. I would love to help you if I can. My Mother raised me at the drycleaners-I used to sit on the counter and staple paper hangers!! (Cheap labor). Anyway- there are spotting solutions that are made to remove stains like the one you are talking about- and there is a last ditch effort secret my mom used often with great success. Let me know!
Karen/vintageredhead

That's very kind of you, Red. I believe it to be Rayon. I brought it to, supposedly, the best drycleaners in NY and am awaiting their judgment. They said they could perform a whitening process for $75 which is pretty steep considering they can't guarantee the cleaning. As I had written, the stain seems to have been worked at and then set by one of the cleaners I had brought it to. The results are a few reddish brown stains that are fairly obvious. One of them is from a Manhattan that I had in hand but was moved to lapel by the efforts of a drunk girl. The other, I was told, was a result of tannins. Let me know if you know of this whitening process. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Thanks and kind regards,

Senator Jack

vintageredhead

New in Town
Here is something-

http://www.laidlawcorp.com/industrial/chemicals/spottingchemicals.htm
The first chemical mentioned is for the type of stain you have. I would assume that the place you took your jacket to will use something like this to get the spot out. Depending on what has already been done to it, this may work.
I wish my mom was still around- she could get ANYTHING out!!! Her last resort trick with items that were on their way into the trash-clorox 2! I know she used it on silks and rayons- even tho they say you can't wash them. (Silks generally required a mineral bath after to bring back the texture-washing dries them out a lot.) If the spot does not come out-and you feel that you will never wear it again, I would try diluting some clorox 2 and gently!!!!!! apply it to the stain. You need to be very gentle- no rubbing- blot only!!!!!!!!!!! or you will break the threads of the fabric. Apply it, let it stand for a few seconds, ricnse it and look to see if it has faded at all. Repeat until you feel it looks ok, then immerse the entire garment for a few seconds to give it a uniform color. The trick is, diluting the clorox, and not letting it sit for too long. If I was closer I would do it for you-but I am sure you can handle it yourself!!
Let me know what happens. I really miss having access to all those spotting chemicals and tools!!!
Karen/vintageredhead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot