Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The really big laugh for today

I think I mentioned in another post that I have a late 40s white dinner jacket, shawl collared, single button. When I originally got it, there were no stains and no holes. Somewhere along the way, it developed a cleaning stain. Of course, the cleaners would not take responsibility for it. 'Tannins,' they say. 'That happens a lot with vintage.' I tried one last cleaner, a supposed miracle worker, and picked it up today only to find the stain worse. With jacket in hand I set about the city to find a replacement. I really have to have a white, shawl collared, single button dinner jacket.

I went to a few vintage shops and came up with nothing - Cheap Jack himself even looked at it and told me it was dry-cleaning damage. (He's going to try and find a replacement for me) Just for kicks I walked up 5th Ave just to see if places like Lord & Taylor and Sak's were making repros of this jacket. Sak's had one very close for the dear price of $595.00 and just to make a comparison I tried it on. "What's with the armholes,' I asked? The salesman, to his credit, said he understood. Really, for the life of me, I can't understand why for that amount of money they can't think to cut armholes the right way. It got me to thinking, who would look good in this jacket? Why do armholes need to be this big? I know we had a long thread about armholes, but I still can't understand why even high-priced suits are cut this way. What's the purpose? The theory? But as amusing as this was, this still wasn't my big laugh for the day.

As a last stop I go into Barney's. I get sent up to the small formal dept on 6, and on the way up the doors open on 3 and I see a narrow-lapelled 60s cut suit on a mannequin. 'What was that?' I think. 'That actually looked pretty cool.' I know I have to stop in on the way down, just to see. The salesman on 6 takes a look at my jacket and says 'Oh my God, that's a great piece. you'll never get that replaced. (At least he had a good eye) and then he tells me that I might try on 3 because they openend a vintage dept. 'Vintage inspired?' I ask. 'No, vintage pieces,' he says. So that explained the suit. I knew Barney's couldn have anything that cool that was new. But, still this wasn't my biggest laugh of the day.

I go wandering about 3 seeing a few items that, to me, looked new. Suits for $1,700 I]off the peg[/I] I didn't want to bother with a salesman to find out if they were old, new, or what. But then I pass a table of 60s ties that were definitely vintage. I give them the once over and I note that there is not one of them that, had I seen it on Ebay would I have even bothered to click on the picture. Not even at a starting bid of a dollar. A few were passable, but certainly nothing great. At best, I can say the condition was good. No stains. All right,I have to see how much they want for these ties. Okay, NOW comes the big laugh of the day, and really, I lost it there right on the floor. Barney's price:

$140.00

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Having a year and a half ago paid 1/7th of that for TWO suits, one '30s vintage and the other '40s vintage, I'd say they're out of their d@mn minds! Absurd.

Anyone else noticed a sudden surge of '60s nostalgia, and not just in those who lived through the era? Not just the era as a whole, but a vintage 'lifestyle', complete with decor and vintage clothes...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Totally crazy for sure, but those ties (and everything else you saw), are not for "us". They are for the wealthy who want to be "hip", who would never obsessively search Ebay. I'll take my lot of 40's ties for 50 bucks, thank you very much!
flat-top

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
For $1700 you could easily find someone to make you a bespoke suit to vintage specifications even in New York.

$1700? I'd buy another car at that price...

Most I've paid for a suit was $200. Worth every penny, I might add. You can still get screamin' deals if you look hard enough and long enough.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Sad to hear... though it is a story that is told over and over again in this lounge. The Icons of clothing no longer know how to make clothes (the armholes). I wonder how much theyed pay me for some of my bargain bin vintage ties.

We are still looking for a tailor that can make it rigtht at an affordable price... first have to find a tailor who can make it right.

It throws me how so many companies out there can sell 3,000 off the rack suits which need to be removed whe driving because the shoulder end up over your head when driving. You shouldn't have to take off your jacket to do anything.

It's all about the armholes!

The Wingnut said:
$1700? I'd buy another car at that price...

Most I've paid for a suit was $200. Worth every penny, I might add. You can still get screamin' deals if you look hard enough and long enough.

Oh here we go. :p Just because you are the perfect vintage size and can find suits for $10 each. The rest of us mortals have to pay more for the extra weight and size. There is a shop over in Frisco, whose name I can't remember now, that has about ten 40s suits in your size for like $20 each. They can't give them away. :p I suppose they might make good patterns for me.

Regards to all,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

That's right. When it comes to vintage men's suits, it's all about the size. Unless the suit has a very rare, sought-after design, it won't fetch the big bucks unless it's over a 40 R. Did you see how much the "Holy Grail" suit ended up going for on eBay? Imagine if that suit had been a 44 R, instead of a 37 !!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Oh here we go. :p Just because you are the perfect vintage size and can find suits for $10 each. The rest of us mortals have to pay more for the extra weight and size. There is a shop over in Frisco, whose name I can't remember now, that has about ten 40s suits in your size for like $20 each. They can't give them away. :p I suppose they might make good patterns for me.

Regards to all,

J

Well then grab a few for me, wouldja? 36" chest, 30" inseam, 29" waist.

The Wingnut said:
Well then grab a few for me, wouldja? 36" chest, 30" inseam, 29" waist.

Geez man, you are thinner than I thought!
I will have to check the place out again. I am sure they were probably about that size because I couldn't get both arms in the jackets. :p My friend Jason drove us there so I will see if he remembers the name of the place. I hear footsteps of people running for shops in San Francisco now. :p I knew I should have bought the one three piece brown double breasted even though it will never fit. Oh well.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot