Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Annixter

Practically Family
The after pictures of the complete dunk cleaning. The ribbon has a lot of fading, but it's consistent enough at a glance to almost look as-designed-ish. The felt shows a spot of staining near the ribbon, but other than that it's faded but presentable. The sweatband shrunk a bit along with flaking, but I decided to make it work. I removed the rear stitching that united the two sweatband ends to give me another 3/16" of give which is enough to work on my noggin. I dressed the flaking and cracking areas with water-resistant sewing glue that appears to work really well. I just donned it to run errands, and I think it will be a nice $5 beater. The real problem is now that I personally know Resistol's design and quality I want a nice one.:D

ResistolCleaned2.jpg

ResistolCleaned3.jpg

ResistolCleaned1.jpg

ResistolCleaned4.jpg

Mystic

Practically Family
Risistol question.

What would be the quality of felt with..Kitten finish Kings Beaver and the cat figure on the sweatband?
Sweatband has the imprinted ring around the sweatband. I think this may indicate a newer hat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The HI 7, after a stretch. My cheap camera is really showing its limitations with the lack of appropriate proportions at a close distance... I hope! ;)

008copys.jpg

004copyw.jpg

0032copy.jpg

003copye.jpg

Here's a better perspective:

001copyr.jpg

Mystic

Practically Family
lol it's a little over the top, at 7 inches, with a 3 5/8" brim. I like the weave, too-- made from "hand woven formosan."

i think this is the work of a little Formosan, doing some good formosan weed while weaving some formosan straw lol lol lol

they call this hat the Formosan Gold :eusa_clap

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Just arrived, 1960's Resistol Eddie Bauer very long finish felt in charcoal gray, pheasant feather band, brim 2" w/ underwelted edge, crown 5 1/2" open 4" as creased. Came with badly crumpled center crease crown, mishapen brim, and several feathers torn loose. However, sweatband and liner appear mint, unworn and not a moth bite or nibble one!
kgrhqflkedijsrqobppldm0.jpg

Gave her the quick bash into a teardrop with a wet towel and brushed the felt and feathers. This is the deepest finish felt hat I have ever seen, like a fine plush teddy bear. Very soft warm hat will be great for winter. Once again, simply reshaping the crown of a neglected relic yields a very sharp and super comfy hat.

Last edited:

TPD166

One Too Many
Resistol 3X "Fort Worth Pecos"

This is my "new" hat from craiglist. It is Byer-Rolnick Resistol "Fort Worth" (which I've seen before) but also marked "Pecos" (which I have not). It seems to have a narrower brim than the San Antonio and I'm not sure about the crown. The crown has some creasing, but I can't really tell how it was originally bashed - it doesnt seem to have had a cattleman or fedora shape. I thought I would see if anyone here or the Open Road forum knew anything about the "Pecos" markings (it has a retailer stamp, but it's not from Texas).

FtWorth1.jpg

FtWorth2.jpg

FtWorth3.jpg

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
TPD - very nice find! Looks like 1950's from the liner and brown band? Looks like traces of cattleman type crease from the slight dimples at front and rear of crown - standard on all these from the ads I've seen, but many were creased by the retailer. I'd bash it into a diamond or C / teardrop, snap the brim down, and wear it proudly, but then that's my answer to all these great old Resistols. Here's my "Dalworth" before and after:

Cheers!

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Here I go again... late 1950's dove gray Resistol 3X Kitten Finish, crown 6" open 4 1/2" as creased, brim 2 1/4" Cavanagh type edge. Crown taller and and brim wider than my other Resi-stingies. Finish of felt very velvety, crown somewhat stiff, brim soft. Came with original center dent and mangled feather:

Gave it the quick bash into semi-diamond teardrop and couldn't be more pleased with the results, the tall crown taking on a very '40's swoop to the side profile and the wide (for a stingy) brim contributing to the full fedora look:

...gotta love those Resistol kittens!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to agree great looking hat. I have a few resistol hats will have to post up some pictures of them. From what I think ( I could be wrong so correct me if I need it here) the term, resistol, in the name of the hat, is to point out it will take weather elements and not have too many issues to it in the long run. I always thought that a resistol hat would be stiff or a hassle to change the crease or bash in, until....I finally obtained one for myself. Now I am thinking they are so fantastic of a hat. The ones I own I can with ease push out to open crown, bash them any way I want, and they do not fight me doing it, the felt feels fairly good and I like the hat, the color and how they look! I am thinking resistol hats can give other hats a run for the money for sure!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
TPD - very nice find! Looks like 1950's from the liner and brown band? Looks like traces of cattleman type crease from the slight dimples at front and rear of crown - standard on all these from the ads I've seen, but many were creased by the retailer. I'd bash it into a diamond or C / teardrop, snap the brim down, and wear it proudly, but then that's my answer to all these great old Resistols. Here's my "Dalworth" before and after:

Cheers!

I have that same hat myself and love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic