Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I haven't collected much on Resistol.

resistolbogart1942-1.jpg

resistol1947.jpg

resistol1948.jpg

resistol1955-1.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Nice ads, Lefty!

I had one nice Resistol pass through my hands about a year ago, but it didn't fit, so I sold it to a fellow Lounge member. Then, recently, I bought a Resistol cowboy hat from jonbuilder for my first conversion. These pictures have all been posted in other threads, but here they are.

Before:

After:

I still have some work to do on it, particularly in shaping the brim, but I like it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lefty. I only have owned one (still have it), and it has a round, gold label, a pleated liner that connects at the side, and one of the tight 2-loop white bows at the back. The sweat is sewn over the reed, like a '40s hat, but it also has a plastic liner cover. It's 'Kitten Finish' XXXXX Beaver. I was hoping to see some interior pics of other Resistols for comparison - my camera is dead :(

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Resistol is a fine hat.

Both the Boss, MK and I got each a N.O.S. (new-old stock) Resistol fedora from Art Fawcett when he has his store in the Bay Area. I got the dark grey/blue one, and MK got a Brown (I think).

Each hat had the "owners manual" in it, and the size tag, price tag in mint condition. The felt is flawless, and typical "late 40 -early 50" stiff (but in no way compared to todays felt).

I don't wear this hat, it is stored in my "collection" stack of hats. We posted pics a few years ago....here on the lounge. Try a search. Some posts were lost when the Lounge went to the new host server.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Andykev said:
...We posted pics a few years ago....here on the lounge. Try a search. Some posts were lost when the Lounge went to the new host server.

I did some searches yesterday and found MANY Resistol threads, but with only a few posts in each, and very few liner/sweat photos - most of the old links are no longer with us.

So...if some of you could re-post your photos here, we could have a single gathering place for people to bookmark for the future.

I'm quite proud of the one I just picked up, and as soon as I get the new ribbon on it, and locate a camera, I'll get pics posted.

billysmom

One Too Many
Jet Planes?

Here's my Resistol - a Jet 707, according to the price tag.

7071.jpg

7072.jpg

7073.jpg

7074.jpg

The liner states that it's a Byer-Rolnick product, so I'd guess 60's. (Also, the 707 designation would suggest that decade!)

Sue

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
STC_0953.jpg

STB_0952.jpg

My hat off to you Scott for starting this thread, I kicking the idea around for a couple of weeks just never took the plunge. I was thing about “Resistol the Best Keep Secret” because of the relatively low price some very good vintage Resistols can be purchased. Any way here are some pictures o my vintage Resistols. I through it may be old due to the oilcloth-lining protector at the crown. The felt is heavy western weight but soft. The color is silver gray with a blue hue in some light. I recently clean the hat in bath of colmen-stove fuel since the cleaning I have not noticed the blue hew as predominantly. I believe the felt has a high beaver content based on the feel
IMG_0796.jpg

linningcrown.jpg

lable2-1.jpg

lanle3.jpg

ribbon.jpg

lable-2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jonbuilder said:
My hat off to you Scott for starting this thread, I kicking the idea around for a couple of weeks just never took the plunge. I was thing about “Resistol the Best Keep Secret” because of the relatively low price some very good vintage Resistols can be purchased. Any way here are some pictures o my vintage Resistols. I through it may be old due to the oilcloth-lining protector at the crown. The felt is heavy western weight but soft. The color is silver gray with a blue hue in some light. I recently clean the hat in bath of colmen-stove fuel since the cleaning I have not noticed the blue hew as predominantly. I believe the felt has a high beaver content based on the feel
linningcrown.jpg

I've seen some very interesting Resistols show up here, especially westerns, but also some great fedoras. My label is similar to yours, but the gold and purple are inversed. Also, where yours says "The Most Comfortable Hat Made", mine says instead "Designed by Harry Rolnick". Maybe yours is mid-40s and mine is early '50s? I guess my comments are fairly worthless without pics :(

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
The tag on the box says it is a San Antonio .

I just got it and haven't had a chance to do anything but take some before pics.

73nzhw.jpg

ehxfmc.jpg

hweays.jpg

I have no idea as to when it was made but it came with the original box and sales tag, minus the right side which had the price on it , I believe.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Kitten Finish XXXX

Here's my only Resistol - 2 7/8" slightly curled (just a touch) brim. It had one of the 1940's-style thin ribbons, which I removed.

I'm probably going to put this brown 1940's Knox ribbon on it, but haven't sewn it on yet - might go with black.

It is a very soft finish - not like any other hat I've 'felt'. Not stiff, but also not floppy.

ResistolSide.jpg

ResistolSideUnB.jpg

ResistolBottom.jpg

ResistolSweatDtl1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB