Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

More models at the bottom Jack. 1971.

MgJ8cF.jpg

A few more model names ... not sure how wide you're swinging for this project.
It started with just the earlier 3x6 thin ribbons & OR clones some of us like so much, but obviously the County Sheriff & others have blurred that line a bit. Good info on the San Antonio on this page.

My S. A. has a 3X designation. Seems I've seen a 35 somewhere. Any other quality levels out there?
5X but don't know about a 35. It may show up though.

I have an X-Double-X
I notice the Double X series is listed as "Fine beaver and imported fur".

Bringing pics forward from an OP by Landman. Harry Rolnick presented to the first governor of the new state of Alaska, William A. Egan a 3X marked as a Governor's Special. It has the same dimensions & blocking as the San Antonio. Alaska became the 49th state in 1959. If this was a model known as the Governor's Special & not just a rebranded San Antonio for Governor Egan, where are the other 48 governor's hats?

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

Harry Rolnick was said to be friends with Lyndon B. Johnson and presented him with a 3X Wide Country embossed with Johnson's name in the sweat. The liner had the outline of the state of Texas and was scripted "Johnson City LBJ Ranch". These were made in several sizes and just like Amon Carter, Johnson kept a supply of hats at his ranch to hand out to special visitors. In addition to the 7-3/8 shown one such hat has surfaced at auction, a 6-3/4.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

As far as I know the Wide Country has only been sold as a 3X with a 2-1/4" brim. On the model list there has been identified a "Lyndon B." in 3X & 5X with a 2-3/4" brim. Anyone know if this is really model specific & different from the Wide Country hats gifted by Johnson?

The auction hat below is a 3X but appears to be embossed differently from a Wide Country. And could the brim be 2-3/4"?

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

How do the dimensions compare or differ from the modern hat still being sold at the LBJ museum/library? Rclark, where you be?

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Straw Resistol “Posse” from Missoula MT. I have many Resistol & Stetson vintage felts, but just ebayed this straw. Really nice straw ( not toquilla, prob shantung), but well made hat. Nice 2 cord ribbon. What gets me is it was original price $5. I’m not familiar with vintage straws as I am felts, so wondering what time frame a straw this nice would be 5$. The tip doesn’t say Byer-Rolnick, so I’m assuming after 1968. Cheers.
mHPR7BF.jpg

1ZzbNIa.jpg

zYd9vVF.jpg

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Straw Resistol “Posse” from Missoula MT. I have many Resistol & Stetson vintage felts, but just ebayed this straw. Really nice straw ( not toquilla, prob shantung), but well made hat. Nice 2 cord ribbon. What gets me is it was original price $5. I’m not familiar with vintage straws as I am felts, so wondering what time frame a straw this nice would be 5$. The tip doesn’t say Byer-Rolnick, so I’m assuming after 1968. Cheers.
mHPR7BF.jpg

1ZzbNIa.jpg

zYd9vVF.jpg
Nice hat FM. I like those old Resistols.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Anyone know a good source for the reddish-brown sweats for an older Resistol? I've found some in black, but I'd rather stay with the original color. The original sweat is brittle and flaky, and crumbling apart. I've been watching for a couple years for a hat I could cannibalize in good conscience, but no luck.

Back in '79 or '80, I bought it new off the shelf where it had been sitting since longer than anyone there knew (as I recall, I got a really good deal on it for that reason). Crown is about 4" as creased, with a 3 1/2" brim. It originally had a red liner but I had to replace that long ago.

Thanks,
Jim

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know a good source for the reddish-brown sweats for an older Resistol? I've found some in black, but I'd rather stay with the original color. The original sweat is brittle and flaky, and crumbling apart. I've been watching for a couple years for a hat I could cannibalize in good conscience, but no luck.

Back in '79 or '80, I bought it new off the shelf where it had been sitting since longer than anyone there knew (as I recall, I got a really good deal on it for that reason). Crown is about 4" as creased, with a 3 1/2" brim. It originally had a red liner but I had to replace that long ago.

Thanks,
Jim
Try this online store. Maybe the "saddle" color would work for you.
https://hatterssupplyhouse.com/sweatbands/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB