The Resistol Roundup

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ScottF, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I have an X-Double-X San Antonio (if that's what you're asking).

Cornshucker77 and Bamaboots like this.
  2. More models at the bottom Jack. 1971.

[​IMG]

Yamahana, steur and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  3. The County Sheriff's brim width seems to be jumping around in the quality levels. 1971.

[​IMG]

4. It started with just the earlier 3x6 thin ribbons & OR clones some of us like so much, but obviously the County Sheriff & others have blurred that line a bit. Good info on the San Antonio on this page.

5X but don't know about a 35. It may show up though.

I notice the Double X series is listed as "Fine beaver and imported fur".

5. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

I haven't seen the 7x in the catalogs.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

That's it, Bob.

Sweet! I knew there were some out there.

7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Meant to say yours is perfect.

deadlyhandsome and Desert dog like this.
  8. I made note of the Top Hand, a 7X 5-1/2" OC x 3", 3-1/4, & 3-1/2" RE brim. I also made note of the Yellowstone, No.1 Quality 5-1/2" OC x 3" RE brim. Again, blurring the lines of what I was looking for but they caught my attention of something I would like.

9. In going back thru the catalogs again I noticed Resistol called this crease of which I have a few, the Dog Bone.

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

10. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I like it.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  11. Me too. It definitely takes a nice tall & straight block.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  12. Bringing pics forward from an OP by Landman. Harry Rolnick presented to the first governor of the new state of Alaska, William A. Egan a 3X marked as a Governor's Special. It has the same dimensions & blocking as the San Antonio. Alaska became the 49th state in 1959. If this was a model known as the Governor's Special & not just a rebranded San Antonio for Governor Egan, where are the other 48 governor's hats?

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Looks the same as my 3X S. A.
    image.jpeg

14. Harry Rolnick was said to be friends with Lyndon B. Johnson and presented him with a 3X Wide Country embossed with Johnson's name in the sweat. The liner had the outline of the state of Texas and was scripted "Johnson City LBJ Ranch". These were made in several sizes and just like Amon Carter, Johnson kept a supply of hats at his ranch to hand out to special visitors. In addition to the 7-3/8 shown one such hat has surfaced at auction, a 6-3/4.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

As far as I know the Wide Country has only been sold as a 3X with a 2-1/4" brim. On the model list there has been identified a "Lyndon B." in 3X & 5X with a 2-3/4" brim. Anyone know if this is really model specific & different from the Wide Country hats gifted by Johnson?

The auction hat below is a 3X but appears to be embossed differently from a Wide Country. And could the brim be 2-3/4"?

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

How do the dimensions compare or differ from the modern hat still being sold at the LBJ museum/library? Rclark, where you be?

15. DaveProc

DaveProc One of the Regulars

$14 Resistol (maybe Eddie Bauer?) I just picked up. 20190716_061001.jpg 20190716_061016.jpg 20190716_061020.jpg 20190716_061030.jpg

16. Florida_Marlin

Florida_Marlin One of the Regulars

Straw Resistol “Posse” from Missoula MT. I have many Resistol & Stetson vintage felts, but just ebayed this straw. Really nice straw ( not toquilla, prob shantung), but well made hat. Nice 2 cord ribbon. What gets me is it was original price $5. I’m not familiar with vintage straws as I am felts, so wondering what time frame a straw this nice would be 5$. The tip doesn’t say Byer-Rolnick, so I’m assuming after 1968. Cheers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dm101, Rmccamey, Bamaboots and 3 others like this.
  17. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

I love that hat Ed.

AbbaDatDeHat and Desert dog like this.
  18. Cornshucker77

Nice hat FM. I like those old Resistols.

19. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

Anyone know a good source for the reddish-brown sweats for an older Resistol? I've found some in black, but I'd rather stay with the original color. The original sweat is brittle and flaky, and crumbling apart. I've been watching for a couple years for a hat I could cannibalize in good conscience, but no luck.

Back in '79 or '80, I bought it new off the shelf where it had been sitting since longer than anyone there knew (as I recall, I got a really good deal on it for that reason). Crown is about 4" as creased, with a 3 1/2" brim. It originally had a red liner but I had to replace that long ago.

Thanks,
    Jim

20. Cornshucker77

Try this online store. Maybe the "saddle" color would work for you.
    https://hatterssupplyhouse.com/sweatbands/

T Jones and Hat and Rehat like this.