Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I went for a hike west of Valley Forge, PA, today, and it was 60 degrees. Awfully late in the year for this weather is the truth.

Tinben

New in Town
Closet find. My wifes dad passed away a few months ago. He was somewhat of a country gentleman. He was a guitar finger picker and liked Chet Adkins. Here is the hat he sometimes wore. It had a feathery band on it but I had to take it off because it was very dirty. And of course I reshaped the crown so it was not so tall on the head.
Resistol Self Conforming
Long Oval 7 3/8
Round Up Collection from Balloff's Inc. Knoxville, Tn.

Sorry for horrific pics. I just wanted to add to forum.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1448984568000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1449322380000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1448984596000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1448985357000.jpg

captain kirk

New in Town
can anyone tell me if resistol runs a little smaller than stated size,my stetson is a size 7 but actually fits more like a 6 7/8. does resistol run about the same way or does it vary? any help would be appreciated.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Looks good, Terry! Tall for sure, but you wear it well. Also glad to see you found good use for the 6-ply.

Excellent brim work too! Love the way, the brim so perfectly mirrors your happy smile :D
Ole! Glad to see you back! :D Hope you stick around awhile. You were missed. Thanks to you I found a couple of good uses for the 6 ply you sent me.

Well, Fruno's Hat Rescue Center took in another one a couple of weeks ago. I found this Resistol thin ribbon that doesn't say San Antonio in it at a shop in Cincinnati a couple of weeks back. Everything about the hat was fantastic to my eye except for some very bad verdigris staining of the felt.

Stain 1.jpg
Stain 2.jpg

I poked around on the Lounge for some pointers on neutralizing the stain, and also threw out a request for help. Nobody answered, so last weekend, I dove in. Cleaned the verdigris off sweat band and removed the brass ferrule. I tried scrubbing the stain a bit, but was getting nowhere, so I put it into a naphtha bath for about 12 hours. When I took it out, the verdigris stain remained, but was somewhat diminished. So I hit it with some white vinegar (which I should have done first), and that seemed to start doing the trick. Of course, while that removed a good deal of the stain, it left a watermark, so I rinsed it off one more time in the naphtha bath and let it dry. What I wound up with was a quite serviceable 1950s Resistol San Antonio (that doesn't say San Antonio). The color is more taupe than silverbelly.
Picture14.jpg
Picture13.jpg
Picture12.jpg
Picture11.jpg
Picture10.jpg
Picture9.jpg
Picture17.jpg

This is my second Resistol, and I'd had my eye out for a SA for a while, so refurbing this so it's good enough to be seen in public was very satisfying.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Well, Fruno's Hat Rescue Center took in another one a couple of weeks ago. I found this Resistol thin ribbon that doesn't say San Antonio in it at a shop in Cincinnati a couple of weeks back. Everything about the hat was fantastic to my eye except for some very bad verdigris staining of the felt.

View attachment 41501 View attachment 41502

I poked around on the Lounge for some pointers on neutralizing the stain, and also threw out a request for help. Nobody answered, so last weekend, I dove in. Cleaned the verdigris off sweat band and removed the brass ferrule. I tried scrubbing the stain a bit, but was getting nowhere, so I put it into a naphtha bath for about 12 hours. When I took it out, the verdigris stain remained, but was somewhat diminished. So I hit it with some white vinegar (which I should have done first), and that seemed to start doing the trick. Of course, while that removed a good deal of the stain, it left a watermark, so I rinsed it off one more time in the naphtha bath and let it dry. What I wound up with was a quite serviceable 1950s Resistol San Antonio (that doesn't say San Antonio). The color is more taupe than silverbelly.
View attachment 41503 View attachment 41504 View attachment 41505 View attachment 41506 View attachment 41507 View attachment 41508 View attachment 41509

This is my second Resistol, and I'd had my eye out for a SA for a while, so refurbing this so it's good enough to be seen in public was very satisfying.
Man that is a VERY cool hat. Congrats on a great find and an even better cleaning job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points