Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The return of the NKVD overcoat

Story

I'll Lock Up
Papers, please!

MOSCOW (AFP) – Russia's federal guard service, in charge of protecting President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, may soon sport black leather overcoats harking back to the era of Stalin's purges. The elite service known by its Russian acronym FSO has launched a tender to purchase 60 leather trenchcoats on the official site for government purchases, instantly drawing tongue-in-cheek criticism from Russian bloggers.
Long leather trenchcoats are infamously associated with uniforms of Soviet NKVD secret police, worn by its low-ranking officers at the height of Stalin's pre-war purges in the late 1930s.
The coats ordered by the FSO appear to be nearly identical to the NKVD coats, according to the tender documentation and images uploaded on the website zakupki.gov.ru last week.
The jet-black "light leather overcoat" as the item is described is meant for "high-ranking FSO officers" and features a belt and various insignia, including the image of the Russian two-headed eagle on every button.
The 60 overcoats are ordered by the service along with 60 black leather jackets for a total sum of 2.9 million roubles ($104,600).

Observe thusly, comrades!

Last edited:

maduro 5

A-List Customer
The sick part of it is that the Russians are very proud of their history. The more things change the more they stay the same...

Davidm

Familiar Face
maduro 5, yes we are proud of our history. very.
But those NKVD leather coats are terrible, actually many russians disagree with the idea of this tender.

Last edited:

subject101

One of the Regulars
Actually, those NKVD jackets, like german 'u-boats' jackets and german leather great coats, were not part of any military uniform, they were civilian jackets. They were quite common in Europe during the 1930 decade. It is unfair that they are associated with nazis and communists by movies and undocumented newspapers.

This is the 'black-jet' leather coat that the russian goverment has purchased;

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...ice-stir-memories-of-1930s-purges/438593.html

It looks like the german great leather coat. However I bet the real thing was brown;

http://www.sovietmilitarystuff.com/detail.php?pid=45082

Gene

Practically Family
Just one more step in the "I wouldn't be surprised if they declared they were going back to Communism tomorrow" path Russia's taken over the past decade.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
??
Probably a matter of difference of sensibilities on the two sides of the Atlantic but... what's the problem? They like a leather overcoat, they purchased a leather overcoat, full stop.

I don't fear russians will go back to Stalin because of a coat!!

Probably adopted simply because someone thought it was cool.

After WWII, Italy left gray-green and adopted khaki, but:
1- it was used in the Italian army since the XIX century (in the colonies, and sometimes in Italy in summer)
2-it was used for two years by the co-belligerant (regular) italian army, fighting alongside Brits and Americans (british equipment)
so it was kind of "our" tradition too.

I mean, clothing is one thing, politics one another: not necessarily related.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I can see how somebody in charge of the thing must have thought it was cool or good looking, aesthetically fit for the guards, but like others here mentioned, it carries with it some political baggage associated with communism. It does look menacing and imposing, which I would guess is the intention.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Actually, those NKVD jackets, like german 'u-boats' jackets and german leather great coats, were not part of any military uniform, they were civilian jackets. They were quite common in Europe during the 1930 decade. It is unfair that they are associated with nazis and communists by movies and undocumented newspapers.

As early as the Russian Civil War leather coats were recognized as part of the semi-official of the Bolshevik party uniform. While never part of official NKVD uniform that I know of, leather coats were favored garb of both uniformed and plainclothes Chekists (secret police) and Red Army Commissars. As such, I wouldn't say leather trench coats get an unfair rep for that association since some pretty scary individuals did choose to wear them. But other uniformed NKVD personnel wore leather coats too. When thinking about the NKVD it's important to remember that as "The People's Commissariat For Internal Affairs" the organization's responsibilities included all sorts of domestic public safety roles. Branches of the NKVD included everything from neighborhood beat/traffic cops to the border patrol and rural sheriff-like police too. If I'm not mistaken, even firefighters came under the authority the NKVD.

I think that's probably where Russian folk's nostalgia comes into play. I bet there's even a message board in Russian somewhere that has a thread, just like the one on the FL, where people complain that cops don't dress like cops anymore.

Maguire

Practically Family
I can see how somebody in charge of the thing must have thought it was cool or good looking, aesthetically fit for the guards, but like others here mentioned, it carries with it some political baggage associated with communism. It does look menacing and imposing, which I would guess is the intention.
A police officer is a figure of authority and should look the part. Alot of the modern uniforms look downright ridiculous. I remember the videos of that cop in Maryland who'd harass people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hxOr3q7nrk (this guy). How can anyone take that seriously? The guy looks ridiculous. Now don't get me wrong i'm not saying i am 100% behind law enforcement people all the time, alot of times they are power tripping, overbearing, excessive, etc. But as an arm of the state and law, they reflect upon it.

Like the last poster mentioned, this was the uniform of all cops. Nazis wore Sam Browne belts, they were really popular with both the SA and the italian squadrista too. But they were also popular among plenty of other units and standard wear for military and police for ages. If they decided to start using them again, should we start saying "THEY ARE DRESSING LIKE NAZIS!" Hitler wore raincoats and fedoras too on occasion, why don't we just toss those away on account of his decision to dress like pretty much everyone else in that day and age. This argument that so and so did it so it can't be good always gets to me :(

subject101

One of the Regulars
As early as the Russian Civil War leather coats were recognized as part of the semi-official of the Bolshevik party uniform.

There wasn't such a thing as a 'semi-official' Bolshevik party uniform. :) A uniform is always a uniform, same clothes for every member, and these leather jackets were not part of any uniform. They were civilian jackets.

It never existed any standardized NKVD style of jacket. When they wanted to purchase one, they had to grab what it was available at the shops or buy from a tailor.

As such, I wouldn't say leather trench coats get an unfair rep for that association since some pretty scary individuals did choose to wear them.

It is quite unfair because these jackets were the fashion in the whole Europe during the 1930s, not only in Germany and Russia. You can find more vintage pictures of civilians with one than pictures of nazis or communists.

Derek WC

Banned
For the record, Maguire, I love law enforcement... that guy on the other hand was ridiculous. If it were up to me, America's law enforcement would be dressing like SA or SS, just because the uniforms suit the part - they are menacing, clearly uniforms, and functional.

I too don't see what the hubbub is about - they're overcoats, so what? It's no different than all of these people associating us fedora and suit wearing loungers with Indiana Jones and the mafia.

Last edited:

subject101

One of the Regulars
they're overcoats, so what? It's no different than all of these people associating us fedora and suit wearing loungers with Indiana Jones and the mafia.

That's the point. All nazi leaders had double-breasted suits and these suits are not associated with the reich. They just were fashionable during the 30s, like these leather jackets. No patches, no political symbols, no part of any uniform.

German and soviet leather jackets are two of the biggest myths of wwII. They actually existed but they were less common than we think. Just try to find a picture of a 'real' NKVD member with a leather jacket.

However, these coats are omnipresent in movies and military books because they look impressive.

Derek WC

Banned
It's Hitlers darned fault why you can't wear a toothbrush mustache anymore without being severely criticized. What can ye do though?

That reminds me: Some kid in school the other day had a really decent haircut, similar to the guy's in my picture (William Hays). Some kids were saying that he looked like Hitler. Of course, the next day he comes to school with his head shaved.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I agree with the other posters here that there is nothing inherently wrong with these leather overcoats. I also agree that uniforms should reflect authority and professionalism, and be functional.

However...
If it were up to me, America's law enforcement would be dressing like SA or SS, just because the uniforms suit the part - they are menacing, clearly uniforms, and functional.
...I disagree with going out of the way to make a uniform menacing.

"menacing: 1) to make a show of intention to inflict harm: THREAT"

Although, when it is appropriate, a police officer needs to be menacing - i.e. while apprehending a criminal - I don't think he should represent a menacing or threatening attitude to your average citizen. A police officer, as I said, should represent authority and professionalism. But I think he should also be affable - that is, approachable - especially to those in need.

Derek WC

Banned
I don't exactly mean to make it menacing, but more giving off the vibe that "Wow, that cop sure can put me under". But really, if you are a good law abiding citizen you shouldn't have any qualms about approaching a police officer.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Like the last poster mentioned, this was the uniform of all cops. Nazis wore Sam Browne belts, they were really popular with both the SA and the italian squadrista too. But they were also popular among plenty of other units and standard wear for military and police for ages. If they decided to start using them again, should we start saying "THEY ARE DRESSING LIKE NAZIS!"

Actually Carabinieri officers and ncos wear Sam Browne belts ("cinturone con spallaccio") up to this day, and luckily nobody found this to be a "nazi" thing.
It's simply a military or police thing. They don't look bad at all; only sometimes I hear some complain about Sam Browne belts being uncomfortable for everyday wear, still... it pays to look well.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
There wasn't such a thing as a 'semi-official' Bolshevik party uniform. :) A uniform is always a uniform, same clothes for every member, and these leather jackets were not part of any uniform. They were civilian jackets.

I think it depends on your definition of uniform. By the criteria you're using the Confederate Army didn't really have a uniform either. The Bolsheviks weren't a "uniformed party" until post WWII (and even then only certain Commissariats were) but they definitely embraced the nuances of political theater.

Once in power members tended to dress in utilitarian yet militaristic garb (in pictures from the 30s it's quite common to see them wearing identical outfits to Stalin's trademark peasant's shirt or tunic, cap, and boots). Another phenomenon was that members tended to dress similar to the magnate under whom they served. When Molotov came to the US in 1942, before leaving the Soviet Union, the members of his entourage all purchased identical black business suits, ties, and hats. The idea was they would be more easily accepted by "bourgeois capitalists" if they dressed the part. Of course, Molotov was know for his suits and homburgs.

In sense that, throughout its history, the Russian Communist Party used clothing to help present a unified front and chose modes of dress designed to communicate power, prowess and scariness, I would say they definitely had very official "semi-official" uniforms (checkout Stalin: The Court of The Red Czar by Simon Montefiore, he spends a significant amount of time discussing how members of the Bolshevik elite dressed, ate, and lived as part of his analysis of its nuanced cliquishness inherent in its power structure).

Maguire

Practically Family
Actually Carabinieri officers and ncos wear Sam Browne belts ("cinturone con spallaccio") up to this day, and luckily nobody found this to be a "nazi" thing.
It's simply a military or police thing. They don't look bad at all; only sometimes I hear some complain about Sam Browne belts being uncomfortable for everyday wear, still... it pays to look well.

Oh i know they are still in use in some places (state troopers, some police dress uniforms, the Spanish Legion, etc) but overwhelmingly I'd say they are associated with that painting of Hitler in the brown shirt infront of the crowd, or give off some sort of fascist undertone. I think they look great and they do have a function, but i don't consider things based on their political baggage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy