Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
rockyhorror.jpg

Since Grindhouse has opened into theaters, I thought a discussion on a classic interactive movie experience would be good.

Not for everyone but a great film to see. It's over the top, it's very cliche, it's offensive, it's funny, it's genius, and above all, a classic cult film.

Who has seen it in the theater? Had a party? Attended a midnight showing?
Dressed for the occasion?

Who's a virgin? Who's not? (If you've been to a midnight show, you'll know what I mean ;))

And please no still photos from the film. :)

Elaina

One Too Many
When I was 16 I started the midnight showings for the next 6 years every Friday night. I've dressed up, usually as Columbia. My second husband was a huge fan and he and I did parties at the house when we were older. I spent my 21st Bday admist sweet tranvestites :D

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
From my facebook profile: "~ I am jealous of the fact that Tim Curry has better legs in RHPS than I will ever have. ~"

Love the film, have done in-home interactive showings before, but I'll confess, I'm a RHPS virgin when it comes to the midnight showings:eek: !

Brooksie

One Too Many
My sister in law swears that she took me to the Rocky Horror Picture show when I was 12 years old but I do not remember that but I have a horrible memory, my Mom seems to agree with her though. The first time I actually remember going to the Rocky Horror picture show was after my senior prom when I was 17 this was back in 1986, and it was the midnight showing. I went with my prom date, Tom and our friend Greg. Then I ended up going again many times after that (always the midnight showing) during the time I was in beauty school from 1986 till about 1988. I used to live not to far from the Clinton St. theatre in Portland which has been showing the rocky horror picture for years now and I belive is still showing there. A whole pack of us would go...those days it was always cool to be a hairstylist because we were always armed with the best squirt bottles in the business (for those rainy nights, ya know what I mean;)). I never did dress up but if I ever did I would have to be Columbia because I do look more like her than anybody else in the whole cast. FYI...I used to own the sound track so I pretty much know all of the words to all of the songs by heart also.

Brooksie

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I've watched the movie for years every Halloween on VH-1 before I finially got to see it at a midnight showing a couple of years back.
So, no, I've lost my virginity with a friend who had never seen the movie before that night, soooo sad, poor boy didn't know what he was in for. I got him addicted though lol lol lol lol

I guess the people who put on the showings here got out of control or some such, so they dont do it at a theatre anymore, which sucks, that takes the fun out of it. My nephew is Eddie in their producion quite often, I just have no desire to see it out of the theater environment. Call me old fashioned. [huh]

Dam it, Janet!

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
My first midnight show was when I was 19 years old in 1990
~ I remember it was the 15th Anniversary and my friend Julie & I dressed up
as characters. We also brought some goodies for interaction.
It was really a blast...I shall never forget.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Brooksie said:
My sister in law swears that she took me to the Rocky Horror Picture show when I was 12 years old but I do not remember that but I have a horrible memory, my Mom seems to agree with her though.

I don't remember the show, but I remember my sister snuck me into a midnight show when I was 10 or so. I had Rocky Horror trauma for years after seeing what my sister did when they chose her to go on stage and the overall experience of the show. I wouldn't reccomend it as child friendly. Fairly recently I went back to see a midnight show, and I was nervous like you wouldn't believe. I lived through it though, but fought to not be marked as a virgin. I'll see it again sooner or later.

pretty faythe said:
So, no, I've lost my virginity with a friend who had never seen the movie before that night, soooo sad, poor boy didn't know what he was in for. I got him addicted though lol lol lol lol

I'm still urging a friend of mine to go to a show. Poor him when he does. lol. Like you said, He doesn't know what he's in for.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: I won't be able to post on the FL anymore due to my tendonitis flaring up on me and work picking up, but I had to post quickly here.

Not only was I a regular at the (now gone) 8th Street Playhouse in NYC, I'm actually on the audience participation album.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I spent most of my late teenage years/early 20s going to Rocky every Saturday. I've seen it more times than I can count. I was a member of the floor show - played Columbia and Frank. I also met my husband there, another cast member. We'll have been together for 10 years this November. So I guess Rocky will always have a special place in my heart.

I also remember being 12 years old and visitng my Aunt in Baltimore. We drove past a theater that was screening Rocky, and I begged her to go see it even though I had no clue what it was. Needless to say I wasn't let anywhere near that bunch of roustabouts! :D Which made it even more intriguing to me! :D

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
My pallies still do shadow cast and I just performed in their preshow about 2 weeks ago. I am trying to convince them to let me be Columbia just once!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Lolita-what pre-show WHEN? How did I miss that? :eusa_doh:

About a million years ago when was 16, I used to play Magenta in a short-lived stage show up in southern Oregon...and I am NOT a performer, but man, that was fun. My boyfriend (large black man) was in a stage show as Frank and Rocky here back in the middle 80s. He was working as a chef at the time, and he tells me stories about how he and his co-workers who also did the show would enter the men's bathroom as, well, boys, and come out all tramped up with fishnets, heels, garters, red nails, makeup, the works. They loved the looks they would get. I wish that there were pictures that still existed of him as Frank-I would pay ALOT to see that! He just sighs and rolls his eyes....

I took my daughter and her boyfriend to see it on Halloween here in Phoenix when it was still playing at a local theatre; I think it was about 4 years ago. They were both de-virginized and had fun! The only complaint I had was that the stage show was so rowdy and brightly lit that it was hard to watch the actual movie! One neat thing that happened was that the Eddie and Columbia actors were actually married that night by a real minister-it was priceless. My daughter's friends thought that it was cool that her own mom took her to see Rocky- not to mention I was wearing a shiny black PVC catsuit, 5 inch spikes and a blue pageboy wig...it WAS Halloween after all!

Oh, I love RHPS. I wish it was playing in Phoenix. Be fun to get the Arizona FL folks to go en masse!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Funny thing. I've seen bits and pieces but never the whole thing. Nor have I been to a theater where everyone was all dressed up. I'd like to go some time. I think it'd be fun.

The funny part: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
PINK....you're a Rocky virgin!!!? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy..I am seeing a ladies only night out with you as the "guest of honor" at Rocky, if it ever plays here again.
.......heeheeheeheeheehee..............

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
When I was about 17, some friends dragged me in to the midnight show somewhere in Fort Worth, and the first time I saw it I said, "That is the stupidest movie I've ever seen! What a piece of garbage!" (Yes, even with the audience participation)
My best friend talked me into giving it one more chance, and I agreed, and that time I "got" it, and we ended up going quite a number of times. I've probably seen it 30 or so times, and would watch it again. It truly is a great piece of work. Tim Curry has always been great in what he does, and I'm a fan of Susan Sarandon.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Lee Lynch said:
. Tim Curry has always been great in what he does, and I'm a fan of Susan Sarandon.

I LOVE Tim. Wheter he is being an evil cartoon, or a clueless detective.
Although come to think of it, he does seem to be evil more than he is good. Hmmm.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Thinking about Rocky makes me think about the music Tim Curry made. Before Rocky, they always screened a music video for a song that he did called "I Do the Rock." Has anyone else ever seen this? It's been 13 plus years since I've seen it and I still remember all the words. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda