Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rolls Razor: An Adventure Through Time

mclmm

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I spent today with my grandmother going through my late grandfather's things.

One of the treasures which I have inherited was a rather tattered orange and black cardboard box bearing the trademark "Rolls Razor". I was unsure how the years may have treated the razor, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it in remarkably good condition for a razor that was used every day by my grandfather for several decades. There is minimal wear on the strop and hone, the fine sheffield steel blade quickly and easily left a bare patch on my forearm, and even the instruction sheet, although yellowed with age, is crisp with no tears and clean fold lines.

dsc04709.jpg

This is not my grandfather's razor, but it is exactly the same model, the Imperial No.2

I am sure many here in the Fedora Lounge are familiar with the unusual design of this razor with its familiar nickel-plated art deco design case, but I am not sure how many of our fellows have actually used one.

I have heard that they can provide an almost perfect shave if used correctly. I have also read many horror stories. I intend to ignore that yellow stripe running down my back and use the Rolls as my daily razor to honour my grandfather.

I shall report back on my progress.

For anyone else who owns one of these fine razors and is just itching (or bleeding) to use it, I have stumbled on a wonderful resource: the ShaveWiki Rolls Razor page.

Now where did I put those bandaids?

mclmm

New in Town
Just an hour ago I stood in front of the mirror, Rolls in hand, pondering my week-old beard.

To prepare for such an assault on my rogue whiskers, I had run the Rolls over the hone fully twelve or thirteen cycles, then stropped it another 40 or so. I had heard that contrary to my previous belief, that it is better to sharpen one of these machines too much rather than not enough.

I am still waiting on my 1870s vintage John Watts straight razor (another story), and my pure badger brush and shaving soap, so I was forced to slum it with the pressure pack of gillette shaving foam applied with a flat hand.

After washing my face thoroughly in the hottest water I could stand I rubbed in the shaving foam, working against the grain of my beard. Then I ran the Rolls under extremely hot water as I had read that this serves to "expand" the blade's edge. I set the safety bar into position, ready to go.

Now we return to the beginning of this tale.

Fighting to steady my trembling hand, I pressed the blade lightly against the skin of my whisker-clad cheek. This action resulted in a searing pain that almost caused me to fumble and drop the razor onto the tiles of the bathroom floor. Had I just sliced open my cheek?

I became rather embarrassed and cursed my aforementioned yellow streak, as I realised that the metal of the safety bar was still very hot, causing the searing pain I have previously described.

As I slowly scratched away at my week-old growth, I came to the realisation that this old razor was working, and working very well. The secret is in the initial angle at which you place the razor against your skin. To begin, I rested the safety bar against my cheek and then rolled the razor forward until the edge of the blade made contact then executed a downward stroke.

The Rolls was working better than my Mach 3. There were no triple blades to clog with vanquished whiskers and it was a cinch to clean just under running hot water.

After a pause to re-strop the blade for a few strokes and to reapply shaving cream which had dried due to the slow and nervous start, I finished. Not a single cut or nick. The only tricky bits were the stubble directly under my ear lobes and the mustache area. I took my time and had no problems.

Even though I only made one pass, one with the grain, I look and feel like a million dollars. It was a truly magical experience and one that I would recommend to any of you gentlemen reading this story today.

After using this fine razor, I cannot for the life of me imagine ever buying another pack of modern cartridge blades or disposable razors.

I guess the big lesson learned is to ensure that your Rolls blade is sharp. Hone it and strop it until you are sure it will split a hair lengthways, then repeat the process.

Thank you all for your attention.

WH1

Practically Family
good reporting thank you for walking us through it.
I have seen these time to time in antique stores perhaps I will muster the courage and attempt it.

Schofields

Familiar Face
i havent shaved with mine in about 6 months or so. ill end up getting it all ready and then....nothing. i pick up another razor instead :rolleyes:

Holyhabanero

New in Town
My brother, who knew I was a wet shaver, gave me one that he had had kept in storage for many years. He told me he was always too afraid to use it.

The first time I used it I was nervous, but I forged ahead and shaved without getting a single nick or cut--it worked beautifully. I love my Rolls; they are not only extremely functional, but beautiful as well.

Schofields

Familiar Face
theres also a version very similar from the UK called the darwin. aside from a couple unique features, its the same as the rolls razor.

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
So after reading this, how many of us went out to the auction site to look into getting one of these? :p

Schofields

Familiar Face
RJCNTX said:
So after reading this, how many of us went out to the auction site to look into getting one of these? :p

theyre everywhere on there. you can usually get one for a song. then you have those certain people that think theyre worth more than the hope diamond. expect to may no more than what they originally sold for ($15 or so, maybe a bit more if its a set complete in AMAZING comdition.) for a useable kit, unless its one of the EARLY sets, which go for MUCH more. some things youll want to look out for if youre interested in buying one:

- the honing stone MUST be smooth and free of any cracks or imperfections.

- the strop must have the same characteristics. minimal wear is ok though. youll rarely find one with a lot of wear as most people gave up on them rather quickly and went back to their safety razors. a dry strop is pink and a nice, fresh strop is a deep red. just something youll need to know if/when you get yours.

- the blade must be free of chips and rust. if its not, hit it on all sixes and keep moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner