The RV of My Dreams

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by The Reno Kid, Sep 20, 2014.

1. The Reno Kid

The Reno Kid A-List Customer

I came across this beauty while searching for something completely unrelated this morning:
    2013Bowlusroadchief.jpg
    Bowlus Road Chief

It's an updated version of the trailer designed and sold in the mid '30s by aircraft designer Hawley Bowlus, who designed and built--among other things--Lindbergh's Spirit of Saint Louis. A company in southern Nevada is building them. I am seriously in lust. Now I just have to find an uncle or somebody with $100K they don't need. Yes, it's wildly expensive but you can't deny it would look very nice trailing along behind a '36 Buick.

I have absolutely no connection with the company. But if anyone wants to look at more, here's their website : http://www.bowlusroadchief.com/

2. Renault

Renault One Too Many

Wow! Shiny!!!!!!

3. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

Very pretty, but I believe a nightmare rather than a dream.
    My experiences , too many to count ,with a single axle is that they don't track well and are a PITA every time a tractor trailer passes.
    Consider an Airstream instead, you would get more of your money back when you trade up.
    Easiest RV to sell is an Airstream
    They have a cult following.
    Loved the 32 foot Innsbruck front kitchen that I used to have.
    No one who has not towed, ever believes me , but longer is easier.
    Richard

4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Not an RV as such, in the UK we call this type of trailer a caravan. Mine is actually quite modern, but with a few attachments and an art-deco paint job it certainly looks the part. Looks great behind the MG.

View attachment 17882

Those seriously big RV's have never appealed to me, I saw one like this at a vintage weekend recently.

View attachment 17883

Whilst the specification on it was out of this world, the price, at a cool three quarters of a million, that's pounds not dollars, just didn't justify the price, for the amount of times it would get used. Is it worth it? Personally, if I had that sort of money I would stay in a hotel. At least I wouldn't have to empty the sluice bucket there.

5. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

[QUOTE
    No one who has not towed, ever believes me , but longer is easier.
    Richard[/QUOTE]

Especially backing up!

6. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

My own RV desires are much more modest. For some reason my wife and I are both enamored with teardrop trailers. This particular model is made within forty minutes of my home (traffic willing, of course) and comes with an amazing variety of options. Again, I have no connection, etc., etc. But once the Mrs. retires, this is what we have in mind. Costs a lot less than $100K, too. ;)

7. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Here you go! [video=youtube;S-SHVAitOF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SHVAitOF8[/video]

8. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

We also call them trailer campers. RVs are the self propelled version.

9. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

My ideal camper would be the Citreon although I would love to bum around Cornwall for a summer in a VW.

image.jpg

Caravan wise I like the teardrop shape that seem quite trendy these days.

image.jpg

Although I did see this a show once, a Woolley brothers caravan

image.jpg

image.jpg

I prefer Canvas for the time being but I see the appeal for me one day.

10. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

That Citroen looks like it was made in someone's back shed out of leftover galvanized roofing.

11. Mr. Godfrey

That's part of the appeal, it reminds me of a Ju52!

12. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Practically Family

I'll take one of these!
    [video=youtube;b2ZDHfpKpyI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b2ZDHfpKpyI[/video]

13. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

And of course you will want a fully reconditioned Land Rover Defender to pull it across the veldt. I like the fact that you don't sleep down on the ground with the lions. Yes, I know they can jump but people who camp in Africa a lot all have trailers with tents on top. Surely there's a good reason for that . . . but it's probably mambas.

14. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Old African proverb, when camping, choose the tent farthest away from the sleeping lion!

15. Mr. Godfrey

Very nice treetopflyer, I would like one of those, not sure I agree with old sarge about the defender, I would be more tempted with a lightweight LR90 although a full 110 kitted out Camel trophy style would be nice too. Nothing wrong with the defender Old sarge being a 'landy' person anyway having owned two from Load Lane. My grandfather worked there for many years in special development projects he would not talk too much about it and I was to young to enquire I guess.

I would really like a VW Kubelwagen though, maybe not enough power for the trailer, so a canvas bivy or a tent.

Mind you Lions standing on their hind quarters would reach the top of a land rover! :D or Leopard :eeek:

image.jpg

image.jpg

[video=youtube_share;z7UfmZhmhSc]http://youtu.be/z7UfmZhmhSc[/video]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  16. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Practically Family

You can forgo the tow vehicle all together and get one of these, a Zetros ultra luxury Mercedes 6X6 RV Truck living station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Mr. Godfrey

Hey Treetoflyer, is that a wheeled version of an ATAT! ;)

image.jpg

18. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

After my first safari we took the night train to Vic Falls and while we were there we took a driving tour of Hwangi Nat'l Park. While we were parked at a waterhole watching gigantic crocodiles sunbathe this vehicle drove up next to us. It was a MB Unimog motorhome. The owners said that they'd had it shipped from Hamburg and were driving it home from Cape Town. All the way up through Africa? Without a pair of .30 cal MG's mounted on the roof? Not this old man!

19. Mr. Godfrey

That would a lot of gas but what a journey, eh! If only I had the time and permit from SWMBO :D

20. Mr. Godfrey

The Eco RV

image.jpg