Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The RV of My Dreams

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That would a lot of gas but what a journey, eh! If only I had the time and permit from SWMBO :D

Naturally, it would take some care in route choice. S. Africa through Kenya should be pretty safe, as would a western route sticking to the coast once you get north of Angola. The sticking points on the east side would be getting through Sudan to Egypt---and trying to go up the center across the Sahara is simply not to be considered.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Godfrey, you left out the best VW video! I don't speak much German, but, even I get the drift. I wish Things were not so expensive these days. [video=youtube;-DRijy0brOQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRijy0brOQ#t=149[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
How about vintage off road? [video=youtube;YWTa3FIdgqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTa3FIdgqg[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
To get us back to camping, a Model T RV. [video=youtube;zViYjKjSLtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zViYjKjSLtI[/video]

I find it interesting how many English words have found their way into the German language such as Offroad, Challenge, High Tech and SUV even though there are probably German equivalents.

Last edited:

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Mr. Godfrey, you left out the best VW video! I don't speak much German, but, even I get the drift. I wish Things were not so expensive these days.

Thanks for the vid, Stearmen, I would still choose the VW, at least I would have a shovel and a tirfor jack in the back to help me out of those jams ;) and it would have style

I think there is a weight issue there, I have seen a disco stuck in mud on a ploughed field yet a freelander drive past it.

Talking of RV's I quite like this steampunk version

image.jpg

And this caravan too

image.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The other nice thing about the Kubelwagon, like the Model T I posted, if it gets stuck, four young men can simply pick it up and walk it out! Try that with an Escalade.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Stearman, that was a great video about the Kubelwagon! I was just reading somehting the other day (may have been somewhere around here) about the testing of the Kubelwagon. Apparently the Germans tested it against 4WD vehicles, and it outperformed them. The US tested captured vehicles, too, and found the same thing. On the other hand, it's certainly been my experience that it is more about the driver than the vehicle.

In keeping with the vintage RV theme, I know I've posted these before in the "Who needs 4WD" thread, but they are applicable here, as well.

Earl and Ann Morris, archaeologists who worked in the Southwest during the '20s and '30s, drove Old Joe, a Ford Model T, all over the Southwestern deserts, packed like this:

OldJoesm-vi.jpg

Not that it never got stuck, mind you.

OldJoestuck-vi.jpg

Ralph Bagnold and his crew also tooled around the Libyan Desert in Model Ts, in search of the Zurzura Oasis. In the process he invented, amongst other things, the radiator overflow tank. Roy Chapman Andrews explored the Gobi in Chrysler touring cars (below).

AndrewsTouringCar-vi.jpg

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
The other nice thing about the Kubelwagon, like the Model T I posted, if it gets stuck, four young men can simply pick it up and walk it out! Try that with an Escalade.

Sounds like a manual handling issue to me! :hurt:

You need four people to get their feet wet:D so take your friends out and to be fair the disco never really got that far ahead of the Kubelwagon on that hill climb. liked the model T too

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Forget about all the above RVs, this is the ultimate! I still have the September 1977 issue of Popular Mechanics! We were so naive, it seemed so plausible at the time.
zz7317a_zps1ef72fd4.jpg
[video=youtube;MJRlQrN8RAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRlQrN8RAY[/video]

Renault

One Too Many
Stearman, that was a great video about the Kubelwagon! I was just reading somehting the other day (may have been somewhere around here) about the testing of the Kubelwagon. Apparently the Germans tested it against 4WD vehicles, and it outperformed them. The US tested captured vehicles, too, and found the same thing. On the other hand, it's certainly been my experience that it is more about the driver than the vehicle.

In keeping with the vintage RV theme, I know I've posted these before in the "Who needs 4WD" thread, but they are applicable here, as well.

Earl and Ann Morris, archaeologists who worked in the Southwest during the '20s and '30s, drove Old Joe, a Ford Model T, all over the Southwestern deserts, packed like this:

OldJoesm-vi.jpg

Not that it never got stuck, mind you.

OldJoestuck-vi.jpg

Ralph Bagnold and his crew also tooled around the Libyan Desert in Model Ts, in search of the Zurzura Oasis. In the process he invented, amongst other things, the radiator overflow tank. Roy Chapman Andrews explored the Gobi in Chrysler touring cars (below).

AndrewsTouringCar-vi.jpg

Always thought it interesting that on the Gobi expedition they completely disassembled those touring cars to get them across the rare but occasional water courses. Reassembling them on the other side!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I found out a little trivia on the Flying Winnebago. According to Fred Clark of Orlando Helicopter Airways, the makers, stated that it was a stunt to get attention during the late 70s, economic doldrums. It worked, the 6 or 7 got attention way out of proportion to their usefulness as RVs! Incidentally, all of the airframes still exist, though, all have been converted to other uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm