Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sale of NOS Johnnyphi hats begins.

MG-B

New in Town
First Auctions

I won the first auction for the 7 3/8 Adam. I felt there were a couple of things that may have hindered bidding, one was the time. Having the auction end on a Sunday at 6pm on the East Coast during the Memorial Day weekend probably didn't help the bidding. I was away, but fortunately at my relative's house with wireless internet and my laptop (my previous career was as a computer networking geek). Another factor may have been a bit of the newness or shyness about bidding against people you know. I've seen this at fundraiser auctions, where once one person bids on an item, just about everyone backs off. I felt a bit "funny" offering a bid on the hat myself, but figured I'd do it early enough in the day that anyone that was really interested could respond. But, for people travelling on the holiday weekend, you just have to bid your maximum amount and let it ride. I'd hope that as we do more of these, there might be more friendly competition. I agree with Not-Bogart13 that ending on the weekend is problematic. I'd also suggest a bit later ending time, not late on the east coast, but late enough that the west coast is home from work, say 9 or 10pm EDT.

I trust that with a bit of practice this will be quite lively. I will post pics and comments once my new lid arrives.

Regards,

MG-B

mingoslim

Practically Family
johnnyphi said:
I'm thinking 3 day auctions should be sufficient, but I'm open to suggestions.

I think 7 days is a little long . . . on eBay you have a much larger market and set of products available on any given day . . . plus you have the ability to set up "automatic" bids, and to set you high bid without having to monitor the end of the auction . . .

3 Days might be the perfect length, but you might try 5 first and see how that goes.

Meanwhile, don't get discouraged that the first set was a bit slow. There are several things to consider . . .

1) The Holiday weekend may well have been a killer . . .
2) You might consider the sizes when you consider pricing . . . smaller sizes might need to start a bit "smaller" in price . . .

Meanwhile, I bid . . . and lost . . .
And you didn't even have one of my "favorites" from your post up this time around!
So I hope you will give us another shot or two. I promise I will keep bidding, as I know your hats are a rare and wonderful commodity . . . and I really need a new, grey thin-ribbon for a business trip coming up to the UK ;)

MingoSlim

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Requests...

OK... This is a shot in the dark, but...

If you'd like to see a particular hat during the next auction, PM your request to me, and "I'll do my best to get it on the air."

I want this process to work, as much as y'all do. Believe me!

mingoslim said:
I think 7 days is a little long . . . on eBay you have a much larger market and set of products available on any given day . . . plus you have the ability to set up "automatic" bids, and to set you high bid without having to monitor the end of the auction . . .

3 Days might be the perfect length, but you might try 5 first and see how that goes.

Meanwhile, don't get discouraged that the first set was a bit slow. There are several things to consider . . .

1) The Holiday weekend may well have been a killer . . .
2) You might consider the sizes when you consider pricing . . . smaller sizes might need to start a bit "smaller" in price . . .

Meanwhile, I bid . . . and lost . . .
And you didn't even have one of my "favorites" from your post up this time around!
So I hope you will give us another shot or two. I promise I will keep bidding, as I know your hats are a rare and wonderful commodity . . . and I really need a new, grey thin-ribbon for a business trip coming up to the UK ;)

MingoSlim

My wife just may skin me if I buy any more old hats (at least really nice ones at prices approaching what they're worth), so I doubt that any pieces from your fine collection will find their way to me. But I just thought I'd let you know how much I appreciate the photos. The in-focus close-ups show details of ribbons and bows and such that's quite helpful to those of us who attempt to restore some glory to well-worn old hats. It's a treasure trove of ideas.

Viper Man

Banned
Just as a side note...

I wear a 7 1/4 and was very, very tempted to bid on the Stetson. I missed the deadline because of holiday plans but I was also a bit reluctant to bid $100 knowing that there was an unseen moth bite and noticing the strange dent in the side of the hat. I am sure that dent would probably come out with very little effort, but who knows? I think many people realize that the price of these hats is fair but everyone wants that once in a lifetime deal. Hell, that's why we scour e-bay for hours at a time. :D

Johnnyphi, what are you planning on doing with hats that don't sell here? Will you accept personal offers? I am still interested in that Stetson and I am sorry I missed the close of the auction.

GWD

One Too Many
My 2 cents, ......The auction format you're using is fine. Don't be discouraged. If you're comfortable with your reserves just continue as is. If they don't sell you can re-auction them or put them on ebay with a detailed description of your situation and I'm sure they'll fly off the selves. I like most others here appreciate the fact that you are giving us F.Lers a "first chance" at these great hats. "Stay the course" and thanks again for all your hard work!

Ande1964

Practically Family
Well Said!

Just wanted to echo GWD. I won one of the first offerings, and I'm thrilled that Johnny chose to give the lounge the first shot at these treasures.

I'm grateful to all involved for making these sales possible.

Anj

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Just when you thought it was safe to bid again.....

Rules, rules, rules…..in response to:

“The auction format you're using is fine.” And ,

“On eBay what all our esteemed members do is snipe the auction at the last second in order to avoid bidding wars. God forbid that someone cooks up a homebrew perl and we get sniping script for FL”

We have an entire classroom of advanced computer programming students working on it right now as a class project. HatsniperRUS….stay tuned

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In case that's not a joke, any effort to circumvent the process, which we have tried very hard to make fair and transparent, will result in a lockout and no (soup) hats for you.

obiwan

Familiar Face
I'm interested in more hats than I can sneak into my house but, none of them were in your initial auctions. I think things will pick up with the holiday behind us.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just found this group of threads last night. I was interested in the Lee Trinity, but realized that the bidding had already ended 24 hours before. I take it the non-response to my query about accepting a bid last night was a NO. So, my next question is, have you thought about this: If anyone is intertested in a particular hat, and they email you indicating that interest, would you send a heads up email to that person when the auction for it is imminent? Just a thought. Thanx.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
oops, did I say that out loud? Er, just kidding Scot...ReALLY...heh, you kids stop what you're doing now!

You're doing a fine job of trying to be fair with find of the year. keep it up. I'll shut up.

kidding really

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
I just found this group of threads last night. I was interested in the Lee Trinity, but realized that the bidding had already ended 24 hours before. I take it the non-response to my query about accepting a bid last night was a NO. So, my next question is, have you thought about this: If anyone is intertested in a particular hat, and they email you indicating that interest, would you send a heads up email to that person when the auction for it is imminent? Just a thought. Thanx.

I agree with the email/heads up idea. I too have one or two of your hats that I'm interested in. Yet, I do plan on being in and out of town over the next 2.5 months. That combined with trying to conserve my budget at the time being may or may not allow for me to bid on one of the hats I'm interested in. You have an amazing number of hats in stock, and I think we all can imagine how long it could take to auction all of them off six or so at a time per week. Assuming you decide to continue with the auction here, the "schedule of hats" idea might very well be a good idea.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
My wife just may skin me if I buy any more old hats (at least really nice ones at prices approaching what they're worth), so I doubt that any pieces from your fine collection will find their way to me.

That's my situation, as well! :eek:

Still, I hope that the next round of auctions go better for Johnny. This is an amazing opportunity for we Loungers. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on a hat simply because they're hoping to get lucky on a steal like we're always hoping for on ebay--these hats are worth starting out a little higher for.

Cheers,
Tom

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Hi,

one question...or maybe two....

I would love to bid on these hats however i am new and appreciate that the more senior lounge members should get the first crack at the bidding,

if at that time the hat does not sell could the fledglings have a go???

I am not sure when you become a reg member, is there a min num of posts before one is recognized as such???

Respectfully

Ghost

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Keep posting...

You should keep posting, and you'll be a full-fledged Lounger. We all started there. With all due respect to the old timers... You have just as much right to bid on these hats as any other member of the Lounge. Just post a few comments in various threads, and you'll be "full fledged."

grey ghost said:
Hi,

one question...or maybe two....

I would love to bid on these hats however i am new and appreciate that the more senior lounge members should get the first crack at the bidding,

if at that time the hat does not sell could the fledglings have a go???

I am not sure when you become a reg member, is there a min num of posts before one is recognized as such???

Respectfully

Ghost

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Eyes wide open...

Aside from the budgetary issues... You're right about the general approach. This auction is intended to give felt aficionados the opportunity to score the real deal for fair prices. (Think cigars in Little Havana... Would you go to Miami looking to buy excellent cigars at bargain basement prices, or would you find the best cigars you could buy, with the money you're willing and able to spend?)

As a novice co-worker pointed out, I could post all of these hats as "Indiana Jones" fedoras on eBay and do pretty well... but I'd rather sell them for what they are worth to friends who will appreciate them for what they really represent.

Tango Yankee said:
That's my situation, as well! :eek:

Still, I hope that the next round of auctions go better for Johnny. This is an amazing opportunity for we Loungers. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on a hat simply because they're hoping to get lucky on a steal like we're always hoping for on ebay--these hats are worth starting out a little higher for.

Cheers,
Tom

obiwan

Familiar Face
johnnyphi said:
You should keep posting, and you'll be a full-fledged Lounger. We all started there. With all due respect to the old timers... You have just as much right to bid on these hats as any other member of the Lounge. Just post a few comments in various threads, and you'll be "full fledged."

You have to have a certain number of posts to bid on the hats?

How many posts do you need? I've been around for some time just never seem to have much to say...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24